LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 290 users in the forums

We are not playing to the level of competition.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Downfalls of borderline top level or even top level teams is that some have a tendancy to play to the level of their competition.

Singletary instilled a 100% speed with full pads and no relaxing in Training Camp and it has seemed to carried over in the 49ers play during the two regular season games. The Cardinals players noticed the "Focus" of our team as was quoted by Bertrand Berry on KHTK.

We were thinking that the SEA game was be a so called GPS game because they kicked our ass last year and tore STL a new one. However, we did not play down and stayed focused and revealed to everyone that there is a reason why ARI was the NFC champs and there is a reason why SEA is still trying to work it's way back into the relevancy of the NFL top teams. We kept our level of play high and it showed against a weaker team. Yes, SEA is far weaker than ARI.

Now, that SEA game really didn't seem like a "GPS" game at all. Now the next game is the new "GPS" game. If we beat Minnesota, then it will be known that, well, Minnesota really hasn't played anyone to prove how good they are so then our next game will be a "GPS" game...and then the next one...and...now you know how I feel about "GPS" games.

There is no GPS game because it doesn't matter WHO we play. The only thing that matters is HOW we play. So far, we have played hard and been focused.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM ]
I think the only thing that matters is we win & continue to improve.
what the hell is a GPS game
I agree with most of what you are saying, but there will always be excuses for EVERY GAME. I remember walking away from the stadium Sunday talking s**t to every Seahawk fan that I saw and they all had bulls**t responses with excuses like, "You beat a second string QB" or "Our starting LB was out, which is why Gore did what he did".... The bottom line is that we won and Seattle is a good team. They've kicked our ass for a long time now.

The real "GPS GAME" is the super bowl!
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I agree with most of what you are saying, but there will always be excuses for EVERY GAME. I remember walking away from the stadium Sunday talking s**t to every Seahawk fan that I saw and they all had bulls**t responses with excuses like, "You beat a second string QB" or "Our starting LB was out, which is why Gore did what he did".... The bottom line is that we won and Seattle is a good team. They've kicked our ass for a long time now.

The real "GPS GAME" is the super bowl!

My answer to that is simple: they beat us with Seneca Wallace starting last year. So, what does that mean? It means we are playing better. It means we just beat ARI who has a damn fine defensive line in their house. Our players played well. However, we were some bad coaching away from sealing the game in the 2nd quarter.

We tell SEA that we almost let them back in the game but had to seal it shut. We tell them that Matt Hasselbeck's team still scored a TD on the drive he was hurt AND Matt Hasselbeck had nothing to do with Gore breaking an 80 yarder coming out of the half. THAT score would not have changed.
Originally posted by MrAdrenaline:

where we stand
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

where we stand

A GPS game: let's take these two wins and that one of the wins is agianst a team that was bad last year and another win is against a team that still needs to prove more that it is an elite team. Minnesota is supposedly a team that SHOULD compete deep into the playoffs. Therefore, if we play it tough or win, then WE will be seen on the map as a team that could contend in the playoffs.

I don't buy that type of measurement.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 22, 2009 at 8:49 AM ]
I think the Minnesota game will be a GPS game for us. It'll let us know where we stand outside our weak division.

I think the Minnesota game will be a GPS game for us. It'll let us know where we stand outside our weak division.

I have a feeling that if we beat Minnesota, it will be said that Minnesota really isn't that great because they have only beaten weak teams.
having a qb that can control the game is one thing but when he is averaging 180 yards a game, i just cant see how you can live every week with those numbers because eventually a team is going to stop the run and the defense wont be so successful
Originally posted by mryan1004:
having a qb that can control the game is one thing but when he is averaging 180 yards a game, i just cant see how you can live every week with those numbers because eventually a team is going to stop the run and the defense wont be so successful

Quiet! You'll upset Joecool!
Originally posted by mryan1004:

agreed. Watching payton manning last night engineer that comeback took me back to the glory days. He's clutch! We need a franchise QB!!!! Last time a team won a championship with a mediocre QB was the Ravens. But their D was off the charts. Our D is not strong enough to carry our team to a championship.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

I have a feeling that if we beat Minnesota, it will be said that Minnesota really isn't that great because they have only beaten weak teams.

Minnesota was 10-6 last year and is as good or better than last year, if we beat them in their place that is a HUGE win for the 49ers.
Share 49ersWebzone