There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive post-game analysis (Week 2 vs. Seahawks)

• Blitz
  • Veteran
I have no complaints...they shut down every offensive weapon Seattle had, and they were a dangerous team full of offensive play maker's, a lot of weapons....all of them contained. You can't ask for anything more than that. That was some kick ass D.
How did each member of the front 7 do? Looked like J. Smith was not playing fully healthy? How did Franklin, Sop, and Spikes do? How was Lawson?
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Playing very well.

However, disclaimer coming:
This team has been very fortunate the last two weeks. The Cards were really banged up at WR last week, and this week, the Hawks missed their All-Pro LT all game and starting QB in the second half.

So, while the defense looks really good so far, I think we are playing against teams running at half-speed right now. Next week will be a big challenge.....if the Vikings come in healthy. Maybe we'll get lucky for a third straight week.

One final note on the offensive side: The Hawks were also missing their best DT, Brandon Mebane, who was out. On both of Gore's TD runs, they ran right over his area, in the middle of the line. Excellent game planning by the team, but also very fortunate the opposition was missing a key piece.

in my mind, it's ridiculous that people even expect Walter Jones to not only suit up, but play like a HOFer, he's so banged up and old now. The Seahawks have a bunch of old, injury prone dudes. They paid for it.
I can't believe people on here giving excuses for the seahawks like ohh thier starting QB was out. Well why was he out? BECAUSE OUR DEFENSE TOOK HIS BUTT OUT!!!!! Isn't that what's supposed to happen?

People are so wrapped up in how horrible we were they can't be happy for a minute. Maybe those type of fans aren't real fans and should move on.

OHH and I'd rather play vanilla and get the W then flashy and get the L.
[ Edited by kingairta on Sep 20, 2009 at 7:30 PM ]
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Our defense gets better as the game goes on.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Playing very well.

This team has been very fortunate the last two weeks. The Cards were really banged up at WR last week, and this week, the Hawks missed their All-Pro LT all game and starting QB in the second half.

So, while the defense looks really good so far, I think we are playing against teams running at half-speed right now. Next week will be a big challenge.....if the Vikings come in healthy. Maybe we'll get lucky for a third straight week.

One final note on the offensive side: The Hawks were also missing their best DT, Brandon Mebane, who was out. On both of Gore's TD runs, they ran right over his area, in the middle of the line. Excellent game planning by the team, but also very fortunate the opposition was missing a key piece.

in my mind, it's ridiculous that people even expect Walter Jones to not only suit up, but play like a HOFer, he's so banged up and old now. The Seahawks have a bunch of old, injury prone dudes. They paid for it.

Maddog. I see your point. They missed Mebane, however, the Cole- Mebane combo would have been the weak spot as well, right up the gut. Cole is a backup, not a starter. A case can be made for them missing Barnard with Mebane at the 0 tech. Truth be told, Seattle has weak run d, even with Mebane in there. He's good, but he ain't no Marcus Tubbs, and he was moved from his o tech spot this year, so who knows how that would have translated on the field today.

Injuries are part of the game, there is no "luck" about that, it's a given. Seattle has had these run stuffing issues brewing for quite some time...we saw it exposed when the Pack ran all over their ass in the playoff's a few years back, and it hasn't been resolved since. They really need a big run stuffer, have for a few years now, Cole is probably not going to cut it, and Bryant hasn't developed into that role yet.

Your comment about "getting lucky for the third straight week" is weak, those guys are busting their balls out there, flying all over the f**king place. Or, is that luck too?
I want to give it up for the Defense for winning the turnover ratio the last two weeks

And congrats to Goldson for his first career regular season INT!

Hopefully our pass rush can get to the statue that is known as Brett Farve next week.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dhp318:
Playing very well.

They are relatively young as a group, the problem is the biggie positions are the ones who are old injury and prone. QB, LT, best passrusher. Couple that without having a run game that is respected for the last several years, and A defense that has been known to give up the big plays, not perform well on third down, for the last several years..and you have trouble. Those are the two central issues with the Seachickens that have been going for a few years now. They need to learn how to run the rock consistently, and they need to learn how to not give up the big plays, and they damn sure need to learn how to win on the road...all things that have been occurring over several years even with their best personnel on the field.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Playing very well.

really? jesus christ man give the defense some credit. give the TEAM some credit. im pretty sure we weren't "lucky" today... we ran down their throats and shut them up with strong play from the defense.

Maddog is spot on with this analysis for our defense.

We've faced teams that have gone through transitions with their coaching staff - Cards with their OC & DC; Seahawks with HC, OC, and DC - and injuries on both sides of the field.

We've done a great job at doing the necessary tasks to win, but beating teams like Arizona and Seattle with the advantages we had won't translate to playoff success.

The real test will be in Minnesota. Can we stop Peterson? Can we get pressure on Favre? Can we maintain coverage on Berrian and Harvin?

On the flip side, can Joe Staley handle Jared Allen? How will Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal do with the Williams duo? What about Pashos and Snyder at RT?

This will be our first real test to see if we'll be a legit threat in the league.

It's great we are 2-0 with our record overall and inside our division, but it's more than just that. To quote Singletary, "I WANT WINNERS" and Minnesota will be the true test to that.

did we not just get a new HC and OC as well? I think that excuse is BS. We beat the team because we were a better team. Talking about injuries and coaches is just an excuse used for losing teams. That is a part of the game, a good team and coach will take advantage and exploit a teams weakness.

The excuse isn't bull. I don't think we've exploited the team's weaknesses in the previous two games because we would have had more sacks.

We got our HC mid-last season, so I don't think that applies, but your point about the new OC is vaild.

My point is that Minnesota will be a bigger test to prove we can a legit threat in this league. They've had consistency in their coaching staff, offensive system, and defensive system. They have chemistry and dominant players on both sides of the ball.

Factor all of that in, and they will be a true test for us.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Just when you think Willis can't get any better, he does

F crabtree, we need to sign willis long term now!!! that should be first priority, no exceptions.
  • MadManManny32
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
loving the D but are pass rush wasnt as great today

Clements just doesn't get the credit he deserves.

He busted UP Jones.

Hit him and flipped his ass. lol

Hit stick style.
Dominating.

Game changing.

Stronger as the game went on.

Relentless.

Top 10?

Has taken the coaches personality.

Can't wait to see what's next...
[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:33 PM ]
[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:58 PM ]