LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (Week 2 vs. Seahawks)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I at all the minimizing of our wins that most of the fans on this site demonstrate...Sea. was injured especially in the middle, AZ WRs injured, so what?

We took advantage as winning teams do. As far as the defense, take a look at the game. We did apply pressure. Sure, not as consistent against AZ which was an away game nonetheless. The bottom line is that we stopped their running game. We were successful shutting down the 3rd down conversions. We made an interception when Manny almost had a sack. It really isn't about the sacks when you still can apply pressure. We are.

We are third in the league against the run, the primary scheme that Minny loves to run. I believe that we will plan a strong game against the run and apply the pressure against whatever Favre gives us. We have two weeks worth of tape with the Vikes and last year with the Jets. The bottom line is that this team knows how to stop the run and they will prove it again next week.

It's Favre that scares me as he's torched us before. However, he's hasn't faced a tenacious, vicious D like ours IMO. C'mon now, the Lions and Browns? Yea, sure you are right! That is ridiculous! Now, that team is going to face one that doesn't give up, fights for every inch, and in the fourth comes at you like its the first.

The key for the D is for the O to get Gore going early while offsetting his impact with Davis. Davis could have a big game next week if Raye uses Minny's pass rush as a catalyst to push quick screens and hot reads down their throat.

The talent is there. The drive is there. To me, this game is going to be more about accurate play calling than execution because we need to take what Minny gives us. Being stubborn away is not necessarily a good thing. Instead, take a page from Walsh and setup the run with the pass.

This game seems more apt for that kind of game plan to neutralize Jared Allen and friends.

This game will have us turn the corner with the Rams staring us in the face at home. Oh yea, I am liking this kind of party!!!!

• Ether
  • Veteran
I could've sworn, 3 weeks ago, Nate Clements was the worst Cornerback in the league. Now he's Top 5 again... How's the weather? Fair, would you say?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Pass-rush and pressure was inconsistent, can't believe the DB's played well with it.

We had one sack, they had 4. And did we have any more pressures save for the very end of the game? Not good at all...we should have T'd off today on both Hasslemyback & Wallace. No excuses.

PS: Our secondary IS our front 7 (again). Need proof? TBC was good with NE before coming here. He sucks with us. He goes back to NE and leads the team in sacks and QB pressures. SCHEME IS KEY! We have legit concerns and these weaknesses WILL be exploited by good teams in the very near future.

Is Tully Banta "Spin Move"Cain leading the Patriots in tackles and pressures. Wow! He couldn't wrap up a gift when he played here, never the less a running back.
Originally posted by irief:
All's I have to say is that Spencer has been playing lockdown lights out and CB so far.

Im hella proud of Spencer, comeback player of the year for the Niners IMO.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by irief:
All's I have to say is that Spencer has been playing lockdown lights out and CB so far.

Im hella proud of Spencer, comeback player of the year for the Niners IMO.

Yeah, I'm

HELLA proud to. LOL.

I haven't heard that work since I was going to Junior High in Northern Cali.
What I have read about our defense:

1. Training camp has given them the stamina to play the whole game at a high level.
2. They are physical enough that teams are getting hurt playing us.
3. By the 4th quarter we are stronger than the other team and the other team is wearing out physically and mentally.
4. Run defense has been stout through the whole team.
5. Sacks may be low but we are still getting enough pressure on the QB to not let them get into a rhythm.
6. With Goldson in the line up we have speed at the FS position. We already have 100% more turnover productivity by Goldson than two years of Roman.
7. We have a good set of DBs - Spencer, Clements, Brown, Bly - Experience and youth.
8. We are playing as a team.
9. Sop, Franklin, Smith, McDonald, Balmer, and Evans are playing as a team. Balmer is developing. Balmer put in the work with Smith and it appears to be paying off. Sop and Franklin are holding the line.
10. The lbs are holding up well. Speed, strength, and enough pressure to help the backfield.
11. If we shut the run down for Minnesota I think we will get some pressure on Favre, and our DBs can handle the passing game. I would hope 3 interceptions for this game. And I hope for 3-4 sacks.
Not as much pressure as last week, 5-6 times missed holding calls but still need to improve there. We have are awesome agianst the run so hopefully we can contain AP.
Share 49ersWebzone