LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (Week 2 vs. Seahawks)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Playing very well.

However, disclaimer coming:
This team has been very fortunate the last two weeks. The Cards were really banged up at WR last week, and this week, the Hawks missed their All-Pro LT all game and starting QB in the second half.

So, while the defense looks really good so far, I think we are playing against teams running at half-speed right now. Next week will be a big challenge.....if the Vikings come in healthy. Maybe we'll get lucky for a third straight week.

One final note on the offensive side: The Hawks were also missing their best DT, Brandon Mebane, who was out. On both of Gore's TD runs, they ran right over his area, in the middle of the line. Excellent game planning by the team, but also very fortunate the opposition was missing a key piece.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Playing very well.

This team has been very fortunate the last two weeks. The Cards were really banged up at WR last week, and this week, the Hawks missed their All-Pro LT all game and starting QB in the second half.

So, while the defense looks really good so far, I think we are playing against teams running at half-speed right now. Next week will be a big challenge.....if the Vikings come in healthy. Maybe we'll get lucky for a third straight week.

One final note on the offensive side: The Hawks were also missing their best DT, Brandon Mebane, who was out. On both of Gore's TD runs, they ran right over his area, in the middle of the line. Excellent game planning by the team, but also very fortunate the opposition was missing a key piece.

that's what you have to do though, take advantage of what's given to you.
Playing very well.

Very understandable, but even if they did play we still would have won, cause Seattle's "Mora" culture is a complete farce in IMO.
Playing very well.

really? jesus christ man give the defense some credit. give the TEAM some credit. im pretty sure we weren't "lucky" today... we ran down their throats and shut them up with strong play from the defense.
Playing very well.

How were the Cardinals banged up at receiver last week? lol. OH MY GOSH STEVE BREASTON WAS OUT! They still had Fitz and Boldin, which is a lot better than what we have. You're acting like Brandon Mebane is a pro bowler! Give our damn team some credit.
I think part of the issue is that we played well enough to cause enough chaos in the other team taht they look disjointed. I think we were also given a gift of a lot of injuries on the Seattle side. But I will be happy with the gift. Now we get Minnesota, another challenge for us. We will see if we can maintain our offensive production, and our defensive production as well.

Not a lot of sacks, but did we get pressure? Secondary played well and Goldson is already 100% beyond Roman in interceptions. Spencer is playing lights out. Run defense was stellar. Good signs. Also heard the Singletary was reaming out Lawson for missing coverage on the Seahawks only TD.

Hopefully with Hasselbeck out they will lose some more games and get out of the picture rapidly.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Playing very well.

really? jesus christ man give the defense some credit. give the TEAM some credit. im pretty sure we weren't "lucky" today... we ran down their throats and shut them up with strong play from the defense.

Maddog is spot on with this analysis for our defense.

We've faced teams that have gone through transitions with their coaching staff - Cards with their OC & DC; Seahawks with HC, OC, and DC - and injuries on both sides of the field.

We've done a great job at doing the necessary tasks to win, but beating teams like Arizona and Seattle with the advantages we had won't translate to playoff success.

The real test will be in Minnesota. Can we stop Peterson? Can we get pressure on Favre? Can we maintain coverage on Berrian and Harvin?

On the flip side, can Joe Staley handle Jared Allen? How will Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal do with the Williams duo? What about Pashos and Snyder at RT?

This will be our first real test to see if we'll be a legit threat in the league.

It's great we are 2-0 with our record overall and inside our division, but it's more than just that. To quote Singletary, "I WANT WINNERS" and Minnesota will be the true test to that.
My analysis for our defense for the game is butt sex
Every team this early in the season needs a lot of work. Can't find a team with out the flaws and hiccups this early. Stop down play the opponents and give our guys some credit for the two wins. NO ONE is perfect this time of the year. But we are 2-0
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Pass-rush and pressure was inconsistent, can't believe the DB's played well with it.

Feel the same way. I actually don't think our pass rush was good at all - and there wasn't enough creative blitzes.

Major props to the secondary though, especially Clements who is shutting the haters on here up.

It's good their getting the job done without relying on the blitz. They certainly have the personnel for LB, Safety, and CB blitzes if they need it in the future.

Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Domination
3 top WR's in the league and min yds! The pressure is constant and i really guess that D we saw in the preseason was actually vanilla.

agree
Originally posted by GEEK:
Playing very well.

We've faced teams that have gone through transitions with their coaching staff - Cards with their OC & DC; Seahawks with HC, OC, and DC - and injuries on both sides of the field.

We've done a great job at doing the necessary tasks to win, but beating teams like Arizona and Seattle with the advantages we had won't translate to playoff success.

The real test will be in Minnesota. Can we stop Peterson? Can we get pressure on Favre? Can we maintain coverage on Berrian and Harvin?

On the flip side, can Joe Staley handle Jared Allen? How will Baas, Heitmann, and Rachal do with the Williams duo? What about Pashos and Snyder at RT?

This will be our first real test to see if we'll be a legit threat in the league.

It's great we are 2-0 with our record overall and inside our division, but it's more than just that. To quote Singletary, "I WANT WINNERS" and Minnesota will be the true test to that.

heres to 3-0
Originally posted by GEEK:
Playing very well.

did we not just get a new HC and OC as well? I think that excuse is BS. We beat the team because we were a better team. Talking about injuries and coaches is just an excuse used for losing teams. That is a part of the game, a good team and coach will take advantage and exploit a teams weakness.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
I have no complaints...they shut down every offensive weapon Seattle had, and they were a dangerous team full of offensive play maker's, a lot of weapons....all of them contained. You can't ask for anything more than that. That was some kick ass D.
How did each member of the front 7 do? Looked like J. Smith was not playing fully healthy? How did Franklin, Sop, and Spikes do? How was Lawson?
Share 49ersWebzone