LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 199 users in the forums

Josh Morgan Vs Michael Crabtree

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by redmanc07:
Originally posted by billybonka:
Crabtree in no way is a physical specimen by any means.

Calvin Johnson >>>>>> Morgan >>>> Crabgreed.

The most sure-handed wide receiver in TTU's spread offense = inflated numbers.

Again, proven performer and route runner yes- but won't blow away any of the scouts in the combine with his physical tools.

Inflate #'s are still very impressive regardless of the system

Hey Bey: Career 37 games 138 receptions 2,089 yds 13tds
Crabtree: Frosh 13 games 134 receptions 1,962 yds 22tds

But then that's also reason for him to be a bust. A product of the system to where that same system does not translate into the NFL very well. Let's also be honest about the Defenses he played against in the BIG 12. Not to mention that most of his highlights on youtube are against s**tty teams like SMU, Rice, Utep, BAYLOR, you get my drift. He could very well end up being all hype and no punch.
[/b][/u]
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by B650:
Morgan wants to play. Crabtree doesn't.

Morgan > Crabtree.

Originally posted by WestCoast:
Josh Morgan has something that Crabtree will never get, heart.

and he's faster.

You can't measure Crabtree's heart by the fact that he is holding out. And you can't say he does not want to play either.

The business side is a different aspect. He wants to be paid what he deems is fairly to play but that doesn't change his heart or passion for the game or his desire to play.

Football is a business not just a sport.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Again, proven performer and route runner yes- but won't blow away any of the scouts in the combine with his physical tools.

Being a physical specimen does not mean much. Tons of physical specimens don't pan out. Right off the top of my head...Vernon Gholston is a physical specimen and what has he done thus far in the NFL ?

And we have no idea how Morgan compares to Crabtree as Crab never did any drills. So you can;t call Morgan a better physical specimen because he has a timed speed or because he has done the drills and MC has not.

At the end of the day Crabtree showed he can make plays...he breaks tackles and can be elusive once he gets the ball in his hands and that means more than what he did at the combine or his pro day.

Originally posted by aacadena:
But then that's also reason for him to be a bust. A product of the system to where that same system does not translate into the NFL very well. Let's also be honest about the Defenses he played against in the BIG 12. Not to mention that most of his highlights on youtube are against s**tty teams like SMU, Rice, Utep, BAYLOR, you get my drift. He could very well end up being all hype and no punch.
[/b][/u]

Youtube highlights are a joke. Look at his performances in big games. He always showed up he always made plays. He did not disappear vs top competition.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Morgan is special, I think he will be a top receiver in all of football, im not to sure just how good Crabtree will be. If he does sign with us I think Morgan could make Crabtree that much better.

I think you mean Crabtree will make Morgan that much better if he plays up to his potential.

Morgan has flashed yes, but has not shown that he is special yet. He was nowhere to be found in preseason this year unlike last year. He was tired and that is not a good thing for a 2nd year player.

Calvin Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Morgan, Crabtree
The fact that he is holding out shows he has no heart for the game only dollar signs. Morgan is starting at a much lower wage and is out there producing with no complaints. That is heart, not belly acheing that the kings ransom offered to you is not enough. Lets be serious if this guy loved the game of football he would have taken the fourtune offered and laughed his way to the bank, saying the guys actually paid me this much to play wow.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
The fact that he is holding out shows he has no heart for the game only dollar signs. Morgan is starting at a much lower wage and is out there producing with no complaints. That is heart, not belly acheing that the kings ransom offered to you is not enough. Lets be serious if this guy loved the game of football he would have taken the fourtune offered and laughed his way to the bank, saying the guys actually paid me this much to play wow.

Morgan was a 6th round pick....he is not comparable.

Refusing an offer and holding out is not a measure of a players heart. Sorry but that is fact. You guys keep forgetting football is no longer just a sport it has become a business.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Josh Morgan
Height: 6-0 Weight: 219 Age: 24.

Michael Crabtree
Height 6-3 Weight 214 lbs.

Crab's is 6'1
one of the knocks is that he is much shorter than he is listed.

I don't think Crab's is a burner, he is one of the quickest WR's there are but not fast at all. I think he succeeds in a Wes Welker type role, get open quickly and then let Crabs make a move to take it to the house.

Similar with Owens, we are probably gonna need to convince him that he isnt Randy Moss and his skill are much better suited by running the short route and making a move to shake the CB and get YAC. Look at his College videos he is much better with screens and underneath routes than streaks.
[ Edited by 5280High on Sep 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM ]
Craptree is a POS!
  • BobS
  • Veteran
I think Morgan has a lot of upside, he appears a little erratic. Would like him to do a better job of coming down with contested balls. So far, for the most part I like what I see, especially with a kid picked in the 6th round. Goes to show you drafting receivers is not an easy task to be successful. Knowing that I am glad the 49ers are not offering Crabtree any more money than his draft slotting dictates. Right now I could care less if Crabtree signs or not.

Ask those Texas DB's how physical Crabtree is. You are letting personal anger at him holding out cloud your perception Billy. He is a physical wideout that is known for his blocking and tackle breaking, not to mention catching everything that gets within arms reach of him. The only knock on him that I see is that he is not the brightest kid in the world, the guy needs to quit listening to people pushing their own agendas and get his ass to practice.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BobS:
I think Morgan has a lot of upside, he appears a little erratic. Would like him to do a better job of coming down with contested balls. So far, for the most part I like what I see, especially with a kid picked in the 6th round. Goes to show you drafting receivers is not an easy task to be successful. Knowing that I am glad the 49ers are not offering Crabtree any more money than his draft slotting dictates. Right now I could care less if Crabtree signs or not.

Since 2005 only 3 WR's out of almost 100 drafted from round 3 on have gone on to have 1000 yards receiving.

Crabtree and his superstar potential is needed right now on this no matter how you slice and dice it.
Originally posted by PTulini:

6" / 219 lbs / runs 4.4 forty / physical / can get deep....,that our boy Morgan!
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Josh Morgan has something that Crabtree will never get, heart.

and he's faster.

you can say what you want about crabtree's greed but that has nothing to do with heart. did you watch him play in school? he put everything he had into every game. people knock crabtree's speed but i dont recall him getting pulled down from behind very often. once he gets the ball and he gets an opening he's gone. there is no doubt that crabtree is an amazing talent, morgan is a very good receiver too and he was a steal where we got him, but i think if crabtree signs he will excel fast and overtake morgan. morgan drops some catchable passes and he uses his body too much to catch, he needs to work on his hands a little. i think both are starting material but crabtree has much more potential and i think he will be a stud once he signs and learns the offense
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by Izyniner:

Morgan was a 6th round pick....he is not comparable.

Refusing an offer and holding out is not a measure of a players heart. Sorry but that is fact. You guys keep forgetting football is no longer just a sport it has become a business.

I forget, what round was Tom Brady drafted in? I guess you're right, you can't compare him to Kelly Stouffer.
[ Edited by leolion on Sep 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone