LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 225 users in the forums

Still think hill arm is weak ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Still think hill arm is weak ?

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Do you think Alex Smith could have engineered that winning drive in the fourth quarter like Hill did. I think not. Hill is solid even if he doesn't have the strongest arm in the NFL.

Lol uhhh actually he did in 2007.

Actually that was at home AND they were an 8-8 team that year......I'm just sayin.

Oh and luckily the score was kept in check with the help of Matt Leinart at the helm and not Kurt Warner.

Yes, because Warner was clearly playing his best football yesterday.
Hill has a good enough arm to win. If he doesent commit turnovers like jto we will win our division.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by NJNiner:
Do you think Alex Smith could have engineered that winning drive in the fourth quarter like Hill did. I think not. Hill is solid even if he doesn't have the strongest arm in the NFL.

Lol uhhh actually he did in 2007.

Actually that was at home AND they were an 8-8 team that year......I'm just sayin.

Oh and luckily the score was kept in check with the help of Matt Leinart at the helm and not Kurt Warner.

Yes, because Warner was clearly playing his best football yesterday.

Hey no discredit to our defense but Warner did throw for 288 yards, 1 TD 2 INT's. But come on, Matt Leinart passing for 100 yards 1 TD 2 picks is hardly making our defense work as hard as they did yesterday. Kurt Warner picks apart our defense almost every time he plays us.
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by fan49:
u guys can disagree with me all you want but 60% of this board agrees hills arm is weak

Hill's arm is strong enough to play in the NFL, otherwise he wouldn't have earned that starting position. He throws a lot more pases each week than we see on Sundays, so the real coaches have a lot more to go on than armchair coaches watching at home. And even then, we have seen him make enough plays in real games to know he can get the job done. It really is a matter of the team getting their offensive sh*t together, and game planning around the stregnths of the players - like any team sport. The short passing game brought the 49ers to the top in the past. So I am not really much impressed by this obsession that a QB be one of those strong arm physical studs that can throw through a brick wall. I am more impressed with a guy that can stand tall in the pocket, and get the ball away to checkoffs, and safety valves when primary receivers are covered, and big old D-linemen are about to knock the QBs head off. Hill seems to be pretty good at doing this.

i think it was murph and mac that summed it up, about 1:50 left in 4th, run 3yards, run 4 yards, 3rd and 3. gor is averaging 1.5 yards a carry in the game so far. if we get first down we win, so the best option would be to do a 3 yard pass. we ran, so the question is if you have a starting qb u cant trust to throw a 3 yard pass, he shouldn't be starting!

we ran and didn't get it. why. they stacked the box..... sound familiar

They did trust the QB many times to throw on third down during that game. And they did win because he converted them on that last scoring drive. You wanted them to pass on 3rd down with 1:50 left while they are trying to run out the clock? I am so outa this ridiculous thread. See ya.
I'd say limited but not as weak. It's not the down field passes, that's a concern, its the deep outs, ins and deep comeback routes that Hill has a hard time with.

Agreed,He just doesn't have the arm strength for the above routes you mentioned
Originally posted by Super5:
I'd say limited but not as weak. It's not the down field passes, that's a concern, its the deep outs, ins and deep comeback routes that Hill has a hard time with.

Agreed,He just doesn't have the arm strength for the above routes you mentioned

Agreed, It's not that he can't "huck"the ball 50 yards downfield. It's that tight 30 yarder on a rope for the above mentioned and other routes which give him his limitations.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by teeohh:
he certainly doesn't have the biggest arm but he can make some plays downfield when he's allowed to.

this

it sucks morgan couldn't catch that td in the endzone

True, but that defender made a damn good play. His arm/hand was in the perfect position to break that up.

you're both right. Morgan had a chance at it, it was a great throw, and the coverage was great. To be elite, the WR has gotta catch that ball, but its a tough catch, no question.

Got to disagree,the CB had perfect coverage on that pass,an uncatchable ball with his hand right in between Morgan's two hands.
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
As far as NFL throwing power is concerned, Hill lacks the ability to zip the ball deep into coverage most of the time. However, he mostly makes good decisions and gets the ball to receivers. You can have a strong arm but lack the awareness to make plays consistently. (a.smith) I'm happy with Hill.

Originally posted by wailers15:
he certainly doesn't have the biggest arm but he can make some plays downfield when he's allowed to.

wow tha was a crap pass downfield to bruce if that's what your talking about. bruce had to stop to make that catch.

no chit
  • NMNiner
  • Info N/A
Hill's arm may not be as strong as others QB's but the guy is clutch. Almost everytime we need him to come through he has. He has the capability if given the opportunity at the end of games to give us a chance to win.

Hill is fine as long as he doesn't have to throw a pass with some zip on it, he can throw deep, but the ball flutters and sails more often than not. His deep pass to Bruce was alright, but it was under thrown. Luckily Gore got us in the end zone, if Hill had lead the receiver Bruce would have had the TD.
yes

thread
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by wailers15:

wow tha was a crap pass downfield to bruce if that's what your talking about. bruce had to stop to make that catch.

no chit

watch the replay.
Originally posted by NMNiner:
Hill's arm may not be as strong as others QB's but the guy is clutch. Almost everytime we need him to come through he has. He has the capability if given the opportunity at the end of games to give us a chance to win.

you mean he saves his own ass.
I promise this isn't an argument of Hill vs Davis (Nate)...just a comparison. The throws Shaun has trouble with are strengths for Davis...in fact, he can make all the throws very well. What he doesn't have is Hill's experience, savvy, or (yet) leadership skills. It'll be good for him to watch Hill this season...and next year give him a serious challenge to start. Another factor...Raye purposely kept things pretty simple in his 1st game. He'll begin to open up the playbook more as time goes on, and give Hill opportunities to make more plays downfield.
Share 49ersWebzone