LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Jason Hill

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by HessianDud:
its a damn shame he's probably going to be released. I honestly don't understand what Spurlock brings to the team. it certainly isn't more than Jason Hill. Hill has shown some flashes, but mostly he's been a really reliable guy when plays break down or on 3rd down. After last year I thought of him as the eventual replacement, and upgrade, over Battle. Why would we release him for some dude who has "versatility" that we aren't even using?

I dont know..... I dont know..

I forgot who but someone else pointed out that this team values people who can do many things.......how bout just finding someone who can be really good at one thing? what if that person is Jason Hill at receiving?
its a damn shame he's probably going to be released. I honestly don't understand what Spurlock brings to the team. it certainly isn't more than Jason Hill. Hill has shown some flashes, but mostly he's been a really reliable guy when plays break down or on 3rd down. After last year I thought of him as the eventual replacement, and upgrade, over Battle. Why would we release him for some dude who has "versatility" that we aren't even using?

THIS
Originally posted by DonJulio:

I dont know..... I dont know..

I forgot who but someone else pointed out that this team values people who can do many things.......how bout just finding someone who can be really good at one thing? what if that person is Jason Hill at receiving?

seriously. i guess that's why we keep insisting on running reverses with Bruce?

and what's the point of them being to do all kinds of things if you never do those things in games?

Sure, in theory Spurlock could run the ball or pass the ball and catch the ball or return kickoffs, but he did virtually none of those things today and was rarely on the field (from what I saw).

Now, Hill wouldn't have done much either given the way our passing game went, but why give up on a young WR who is just starting to show promise? Frankly, he's done just as much as Morgan has.

Wr has been the bugaboo of this team for years and right when we're starting to correct it we're going to go and f**k it all up again.
If we had to choose a receiver to trade...when Brandon Jones comes back or Crabtree signing......

I believe that we would get a 4th or 5th for Hill.....and we wouldn't get anything for Battle or Spurlock.....what does that tell you about who is the best WR for our team to keep for the long term out of those three.

add to that, that this might be Bruce's last year.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
What do you guys think of Jason Hill not being active for the game and his diminishing role?

I think Hill should be the #3 reciever at the least. Just because last year when Shaun Hill took over it seemed like Jason Hill was his go to guy if we needed a first down. The last 8 games of the season when Shaun Hill took over Jason had 30 receptions and was the 2nd leading reciever on the team in that time.
Maybe it was some type of punishment for speaking out against Singletary for not getting much reps in pre-season. Hill plays ST as a gunner, so he would've contributed, but Spurlock was activated in his place. This is the conclusion I've come up w/.
Originally posted by pd24:
What do you guys think of Jason Hill not being active for the game and his diminishing role?

I think Hill should be the #3 reciever at the least. Just because last year when Shaun Hill took over it seemed like Jason Hill was his go to guy if we needed a first down. The last 8 games of the season when Shaun Hill took over Jason had 30 receptions and was the 2nd leading reciever on the team in that time.

All I know is, If 9ers are not going to play Hill for reasons we clearly don't understand, he has shown enough last year and this year in pre-season when he had the opportunities, that he has "Trade Value" as a young promising WR.

If the 9ers are not going to use him, then Trade him (but only if the knocklehead Craptree signs)
Because of the Gatekeeper!

Hill was solid last year but I still want to see what Spurlock can do when given the opportunity. Spurlock seems like he can give defenses a little trouble playing out of just about any skill position on offense.
Looking at the depth chart...

Morgan and Bruce are the # 1 & 2 right now.

With Jones injured, Battle is clearly the # 3 IMO; which leaves Spurlock and Hill as the #4 & 5 right now.

If were only going to have 4 activated... Spurlock has more versitility than Hill with his ability to run the Taser O, return punts, and return kickoffs; as well as the stuff that Hill can do (WR play and ST).

Unfortunately for Hill, he's probably going to get dropped when Crabs signs...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Sep 16, 2009 at 10:10 AM ]

Originally posted by D_Niner:

With Jones injured, Battle is clearly the # 3 IMO; which leaves Spurlock and Hill as the #4 & 5 right now.

If were only going to have 4 activated... Spurlock has more versitility than Hill with his ability to run the Taser O, return punts, and return kickoffs; as well as the stuff that Hill can do (WR play and ST).

you mean "traded" if Crabs signs
Originally posted by BigMar:

you mean "traded" if Crabs signs

Hopefully, but it's all in how fast it goes down. I mean, who else are we willing cut so that we have time to work out a trade?
not a big deal to me

QFT

I like Jason Hill, and he's done some good things for this team, but he's extremely replaceable.
Originally posted by GoFD74:

QFT

I like Jason Hill, and he's done some good things for this team, but he's extremely replaceable.

For sure. I don't think he sucks or anything like that, but I also don't think he has established himself as anything but just another guy that can complete your WR roster, and sub for another guy here & there when called on from the bench.
Share 49ersWebzone