LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 256 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (Week 1)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I'm So F'n Happy we pulled this out....but we were playing not to lose the whole game....until we needed to play to win...and that is a tough position to put your QB in after asking him to hand off over and over and over...and occasional pass.. All I know is that if Raye calls more than one run run run, 3 and out plays... Candlestick will boo him out the stadium next week......we cannot be this predictable.... we were like this early in Alex's carrier...it doesn't help anyone.

cosigned. we have a lot of stuff to work on, but theyre a good team and this was a big win. our right side of the ol was awful, i saw like 5 or 6 plays where snyder wasnt blocking anyone. rachal wasnt much better. bruce and vernon were clutch, and morgan was open a lot but shaun wasnt reading the d and seeing him a few times. i was ready to give up on shaun a few times there but he pulled it out when he got a chance to get in a rythm.

You see, that's the elephant in the room. RHYTHM.

Quarterbacks in this league need to be in rhythm.

If you run 50 times and then throw the ball, its really tough for a QB to be accurate and / or find the open player.

We had two drives there at the end when we just said, F'it, let's throw it. One of those drives led to the crucial game winning touchdown; which gave the defense a huge rest.

Ever since Nolan arrived, this team has this "run the football" idea that I simply can't believe.

You don't win games in this league that way anymore. You have to make the defense afraid of BOTH.

If an NFL defense is afraid of ONE thing, they WILL stop it. They WILL. I don't care who they are. Any defense in this league will stop you if you are one-dimensional.

They see our film and think, "Wow, they really try and run the ball. Ok, let's stop them here first."

You have to do what is unexpected.

Kind of like Poker.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
Originally posted by Nuns:

Lol Hill sucks the whole game, comes thru on one series and now he's a word beater?

Hill did not suck the whole game. He is a winner, and improved his record as a starting qb. He threw a nice long ball and did it all with almost no running game.

He just beat the reigning NFC champions in their own backyard.

..........and so-called niniers fans are still hating on him. Go figure!

Hill didn't beat anyone. Our defense won the game. We went 3 and out four times in a row. Hill missed tons of passes. Even on his "great" drive at least 2 of his conversions where on 3rd down. So he can complete a short pass, big f**kin deal! Any quality (not elite) qb can do that. Hill is nothing special and either is Alex. There is no reason to believe Davis couldn't of done exactly what Hill did. To be a quality QB you gotta be good 4 quarters, enough with this 1 good quarter bulls**t.

All you Hill supporters, do you really think we can win a championship with him.....lol....surely you jest

Soooo putting Davis in puts us in the Superbowl?

Sweet!

[ Edited by GhostofJimmyDean on Sep 13, 2009 at 17:54:02 ]
Originally posted by rob28:
as long as we keep hill in and alex on the bench, we can win ugly games like this. if alex was in there he would've blew the game for us somehow.

You dont know that. Smith didnt even smell the field today but that doesnt stop guys like you from throwing rocks at him any chance you get. There was good and bad about how we played today and the zone will discuss it all. In the the mean time why dont you find a new sand box to play in.
  • Sandhog
  • Info N/A
Hill is a gamer, I'll give him that. But after watching the games last year and through first week of this year; it is clear he is not a high caliber qb. You want to win consistently in today's NFL? Get a NFL qb. We don't have that. I am not disparaging Hill's contribution, but he remains a half-step behind. I'm no homer when it comes to qb's. Simple fact is we need to find a guy that can make a difference and we don't have one. Hill, I believe, is an awesome guy off the bench, but I don't think we can rely on him all season long. Who knows with Smith. I don't care if he is a bust or has improved, but we need to know what he has at some point. Either we never find out or he simply busts...Whatever, we got 2 picks next year and there are some potentail gamers to be had. QB's are supposed to be the guys who win you games. Anything less is a placeholder and that's where we are with our qb's.

Don't kid yourself. Our D is good but nowhere near so dominant enough to win us a playoff game, much less a championship. We need a qb any way we can get one. We continue to perform how we did (on offense) today and 8-8 is considered a blessing. I think we match up well with Seattle, but if Hill struggles again...To be honest I think we match up a lot better vs Minny as opposed to Sea.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by P-52ENFORCER:
f**k all the Hill haters. Like I said earlier, let Hill throw the ball and we'll be fine. GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol Hill sucks the whole game, comes thru on one series and now he's a word beater?

I couldn't agree more! Most all of his throw's were either short and over thrown. BUT he won the game. There for everyone is going to jump on the band wagen and say he had a great game. He had 1 good series and that is it. I like Shaun, but his performence today has me concerned. I hope he has a much better perfomence vs. the SeaChickens! Go NINERS!
Ironic that we're a power-run team (allegedly) but won through the air.

We got the win, but play-calling was awful. This whole 60/40 thing really puts us into a bind...like I said in the gameday thread, it reminds me of the Randy Ratio where we effectively telegraph to the other team what we're going to do and how often we'll do it. It seems like we're resigned to go 3 and out most of the time. And I don't understand why literally every run was a pull of some kind. Guard play was sub-par and, for the first time in his career, Gore looked hesitant. That really surprises me because all we heard all summer was how strong he looked. I was glad to see Vernon play well once we started looking his way (the triple coverage drop and Wilson hit I can excuse)

The good news? We showed we can pass the ball effectively. The game winning drive was great, and though Hill threw into triple coverage twice, we got away with it. The plays we're drawn up to Hill's strengths--short routes--and we got VD involved. Hill made good reads vs. the blitz on the TD to Gore and the audible to Bruce was huge, too. We just need to do these things earlier in the game and when circumstances don't dictate we do.

Overall, this conservative play-calling BS of the last 5 years has got to go. By being run-first after the TD, we almost lost the game. Hill is shaky, but at least he limits his mistakes. He holds the ball too long at times and has some ugly throws, but the guy knows how to win. He's not the future, but he could get us 9 wins. Run O has got to be fixed as well. For me, it wasn't so much the plays being called but the order they were called in. The few times we were throw first, we had success on the ground.

All in all, a big divisional win, but there's some things that need to be fixed. The O owes the D on this one.
We need 2 get Kory Sheets on the active roster so we got a speedster. Gore is a thinker, he waits before he hits the hole. Coffee is a one cut runner. Therefore we need a speedster to bust it open to the outside.

[ Edited by SFATeflonDon on Sep 13, 2009 at 18:02:44 ]
Shotgun draw needs to be 86'd from the playbook, until we learn how to run it.
Originally posted by trellblaze1:
Originally posted by joey82:
I don't know why I am bothering....

Look we haven't had a top 15 offense in half a decade. We weren't a top offense last year nor have we done anything this off season to reasonably believe that we would be a top offense again.

This is what we are going to do. Run the ball, not turn the ball over, avoid giving up the big play and win the game with our defense and special teams. If you don't like that I suggest following another team this season.

This isn't an offense that is going to score 35 points, and you are foolish if you expect that. If our offense doesn't turn the ball over and gives us 17-24 points a game we are going to be in good shape to win a lot of games this year.

We beat a team that went to the superbowl last year in their own house.

So relax and enjoy the win fellas. Stop being unreasonable expecting us to light up the scoreboard every week like the saints because it isn't happening.

Dude!! Don't you get it? Genius playcalling will cancel out lack of talent! If your playcalling is Walsh status, you don't even need an offensive line to execute. Walsh was THAT good at playcalling - he didn't need an offensive line. Martz was good enough to only need 3 1/2 linemen. Walsh also didn't need Montana. Nope...could've opened up the playbook with Kyle Boller and still had the same success. I don't know why Raye didn't just open it up and air it out with Shaun Hill/Young Morgan/Aging Bruce. Our O would be much better if we PASS PASS PASS without ANY thought as to who we're passing with. No...it's all about playcalling. THAT'S gonna decide weather we win or lose. A few months ago it was all about who started at QB - Hill or Smith...but no...NOW it's all about playcalling. Forget EVERYTHING ELSE and make sure we fire Raye and get a playcaller who can call us to the superbowl...

I can't believe what I am reading....

First you are saying that we don't even need an OL if our playcalling is that good. Unbelievable, I guess Walsh should have never ever lost a game right?

Then you say that Martz did well with 3.5 offensive linemen. Which isn't true at all, please tell me what our offense was ranked last year. Also how many sacks did we give up. Not to mention Alex basically getting his shoulder destroyed.

Finally that you state the Kyle Boller = Joe Montana if the same plays were called.
I can't even begin to refute that statement without lauging hystarically.

We aren't going to be passing the ball every down. We have Singleterry and Raye as our HC and OC.

It doesn't really matter if you think we will be better or not if we pass all the time. But I guess we would be much better off firing another OC so we can continue our streak of incontinuity. Especially after one game (a win too I might add), we didn't run the ball all that well this game, but you can't extrapolate that into an entire season especially after one game. We will run alot with some play action and the occasional deep shot down the field but unless we are trailing near the end of the game I don't see Hill throwing the ball all the time.
  • dj43
Some observations:

The 49ers went into one of the toughest places to win in the NFL...and won.

The NFL is now designed to be a passing league.

When you spend six months telling everybody that will listen that you are going to run the ball most of the time, you should expect your opponents to be very well prepared to defend the run. AZ was.

David Baas does not yet deserve a contract extension.

Eric Heitman is one of the best centers in football.

Isaac Bruce still has it...so does Larry Fitzgerald...and Patrick Willis.

Shaun Hill just gets it done.

The OL needs more time to jell.

Shauntae Spencer is a high quality CB in this league.

Aubrayo Franklin proved he is worthy of the starting NT position.

Justin Smith is...well, Justin Smith.

Mike Singletary's motivational abilities are now proven under extreme pressure.

Finally, Jimmy Raye proved he knows how to adjust when something isn't working.

Originally posted by Sandhog:
Hill is a gamer, I'll give him that. But after watching the games last year and through first week of this year; it is clear he is not a high caliber qb. You want to win consistently in today's NFL? Get a NFL qb. We don't have that. I am not disparaging Hill's contribution, but he remains a half-step behind. I'm no homer when it comes to qb's. Simple fact is we need to find a guy that can make a difference and we don't have one. Hill, I believe, is an awesome guy off the bench, but I don't think we can rely on him all season long. Who knows with Smith. I don't care if he is a bust or has improved, but we need to know what he has at some point. Either we never find out or he simply busts...Whatever, we got 2 picks next year and there are some potentail gamers to be had. QB's are supposed to be the guys who win you games. Anything less is a placeholder and that's where we are with our qb's.

Don't kid yourself. Our D is good but nowhere near so dominant enough to win us a playoff game, much less a championship. We need a qb any way we can get one. We continue to perform how we did (on offense) today and 8-8 is considered a blessing. I think we match up well with Seattle, but if Hill struggles again...To be honest I think we match up a lot better vs Minny as opposed to Sea.

Originally posted by ninergold:
So much for smash mouth football and running the ball.

No kidding. That was a joke. Nolan was ultimately fired for being unable to adjust and sticking to his guns no matter what the outcome. Singletary better think long and hard about this run first mentality. It got us nowhere today and almost cost us the game.
  • Jd925
  • Veteran
1) So far Hill has proven to be a WINNER... the 4th qtr drive was clutch... he hit on all the crucial 3rd downs.... he also had a great pass in the 2nd qtr to set up Gore's TD.
2) Hill's 89.3 QB rating for the game is good...
3) The Niners beat the defending NFC champions at their home...
4) Gore had 30 yds on 22 carries and I don't hear anyone bash him... and I and most others have no doubt he is our #1 weapon.
5) Offensive line could have played better..
6) Jimmy Raye was predictable until the end when they had to spread it out... I hope the team learns that having balance and being unpredictable are critical to winning...
7) Overall the team played well .. they executed when they needed it...
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Originally posted by ninergold:
So much for smash mouth football and running the ball.

No kidding. That was a joke. Nolan was ultimately fired for being unable to adjust and sticking to his guns no matter what the outcome. Singletary better think long and hard about this run first mentality. It got us nowhere today and almost cost us the game.

No... Nolan was fired because he didn't win enough games period.

When are people going to realize there are no pictures on a scoreboard. It doesn't matter what a win looks like just that we won.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Thorhawk:
Fire jimmy raye
Share 49ersWebzone