There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Jason Whitlock's Top 10 NFL truths - Nate Davis

It's soooo sad to see what the Alex Smith experiment has done to the opinion of our fans. The majority of the posters on this board were all for starting Smith from day one (incoming the "I said to sit him" posts). He failed miserably, while the "other QB" displays true signs of being a legit NFL starter after sitting for multiple years, and as such the majority are now of the opinion that it is best to sit a young QB.

It is dependant on the individual player not an overall philosophy (incoming tons of posts that point out why it's appropriate with Davis from people who knew little about him before we drafted him). It just so happens that our moron of a decision maker made the wrong choice in regards to young Alex, despite the fact that his college coach spelled it out for said moron ahead of time.

Sitting a QB too long can be just as detrimental depending on the individual. Some QB's are perfectly suited to step right in on day one, with that being the absolutely best course of action.

Maybe some of us have the ability to make that determination based on knowledge of the player, but I think it's safe to say that most who post here (myself included) don't have a clue either way.........
Originally posted by teeohh:
I believe that Nate Davis is THE CHOSEN ONE

I believe Nate Davis is the future
Teach him well and let him lead the way
Show them all the beauty he possesses inside
Give him a sense of pride to make it easier
Let Nate Davis' laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone to fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on Nate Davis
Let's just see how our #1 and #2 QB's do first. If we are winning with the other two then let Davis come along at his own pace.

I don't agree with all of this crap about look what happened to Smith ...... If a QB has the right intangables in the pocket and the arm to go with it and you don't have the worst OL in the league then go for it if you can't get it done with #1 and #2.

Hopefully our season doesn't require Davis to play but I am not adversed if it is needed either.
I don't like Jason Whitlock, and I sure as hell hope that he's wrong about Davis playing sometime this season.

Davis playing=lost season.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:

A lonely place to be

It was a fairly interesting article. We'll see how Nate Davis does this season or next.

A lonely place to be

LOL
Gotta admit, i'm pretty excited about Davis' potential. He has natural raw talent.

I'm excited too(he looked kind of McNabbish to me), but that schedule Whitlock suggests is way to rapid. We made the mistake of throwing Alex in there way too early, although what choice did we have? Tim Ratay? Man I can't even remember how to spell his name but I digress. We need to take our time with Nate, not because of a learning disability, but because he is a youg QB period.
Originally posted by BAD_AL:
Nate Davis is the Most talented QB the 49ers have had in this decade.

Out of all of the young QBs the 49ers have brought in, he is the only one that I've ever thought 'Wow' about.

Rocket arm, looks accurate, fairly mobile, fairly tall, good in the 2-minute drill.

Why the hell should we sit him this season?

If Hill goes down (or struggles), do you wanna see Smith on the field again?

I sure as hell don't. I've seen enough of Smith. He's horrible.

If Nate doesn't play THIS year, the 49ers are going to draft a QB savior next year and Nate won't get his shot here at all.

The logic behind 'sitting' a QB is old. Many 1st year QBs have success nowadays.

Nate should be the #2 QB on this team right now and if/when Hill needs to be replaced, Nate should get a chance to play.

Whitlock is that you?!?!?!?!?! DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10049872/NFL-Truths-are-here-to-set-you-free

4. I'm not going to write an I-told-you-so column about 49ers rookie quarterback Nate Davis until the conclusion of the season.

Nate, of course, was the best rookie quarterback in the preseason, which wasn't surprising to anyone who followed his remarkable career at Ball State University. Too much has been made of Nate's learning disability. He learns rapidly and at a high level on the football field. He has a natural instinct for the game.

By midseason, I expect Davis to begin earning playing time in San Francisco. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith can't match Nate's natural physical gifts. And 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye (one of the best at teaching pass protection) and quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson (a terrific mentor and communicator) form a perfect combo to develop Davis.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before going into detail about why Nate slipped to the fifth round. Plus, I want to see how Nate handles the maturity issues that impact quarterback play. null
Originally posted by WINiner:
It's soooo sad to see what the Alex Smith experiment has done to the opinion of our fans. The majority of the posters on this board were all for starting Smith from day one (incoming the "I said to sit him" posts). He failed miserably, while the "other QB" displays true signs of being a legit NFL starter after sitting for multiple years, and as such the majority are now of the opinion that it is best to sit a young QB.

It is dependant on the individual player not an overall philosophy (incoming tons of posts that point out why it's appropriate with Davis from people who knew little about him before we drafted him). It just so happens that our moron of a decision maker made the wrong choice in regards to young Alex, despite the fact that his college coach spelled it out for said moron ahead of time.

Sitting a QB too long can be just as detrimental depending on the individual. Some QB's are perfectly suited to step right in on day one, with that being the absolutely best course of action.

Maybe some of us have the ability to make that determination based on knowledge of the player, but I think it's safe to say that most who post here (myself included) don't have a clue either way.........

Amen...Sure there are those Alex Smiths, David Carrs, Joey Harringtons, and Rick Mirers out there. But folks in here seem to think that list of QBs who failed by starting their rookie season is 100%. They seem to forget that some other notable QBs ended up starting their rookie years and didn't fold under pressure and have their careers destroyed due to lack of confidence.

Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco lead their teams to the playoffs their rookie season.

Troy Aikman went 0-11 as a starter his rookie season, with twice as many interceptions (18) as touchdown passes but that didn't destroy him as he went on to win 3 Super Bowls.

Peyton Manning and the Colts went 3-13 his rookie season, and I believe he even set the single season record for INTs, but he has since become one of the premier QBs in the league with a Super Bowl ring and tossing 333 touchdowns in 176 games.

Ben Roethlisberger, he's got a few rings on his finger.

It is not a given that starting Nate Davis would destroy him. Some people can handle it, some can't. Call me a homer too if you want, but I watched him play his entire college career, and I'm convinced he can handle it. He may not have a stellar rookie season (Peyton and Aikman didn't), but I don't think it would destroy him either. Let's put it this way, last year, before Dante Love (Davis' top target) got injured ending his playing career, he was more than 70% of the Ball State offense, literally. More than 70% of the offensive plays were designed to get Dante Love the ball, or to pretend to give him the ball. When he went out and his replacement was a freshman, a lot of people thought that the Ball State season was over. But Nate never let it phase him or the team, and they went on to finish the regular season 12-0.

I don't care what anybody says, that takes courage, confidence, and leadership. I think he can handle a little adversity.
Whitlock writes some of the most assinine crap I've ever read, but I generally agree with his take here. I'm definitely enthusiastic about Davis. Another poster said that Davis exhibited excellent spatial intelligence during the preseason, and I think that's insightful and true.
  • Roxy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I'm hearing more and more positive commentaries about this kid... I hope to be surprised as well. Here is what Whitlock has to say:

Link to Whitlock's Top 10 NFL Truths 09'

Quote:
4. I'm not going to write an I-told-you-so column about 49ers rookie quarterback Nate Davis until the conclusion of the season.

Aww come on Jason, can't you write an I-Told-You-So column right now? You've had a whole preseason watching Nate Davis take on 4th stringers and guys that will never even make an NFL roster - what else do you need to know? I hope he's right but still.... Moronic.
  • Mex49
I am so excited about this young man's potential but if he plays this year that can only mean one thing- this is going to be another long painful year.

Me no liky
  • Timon49er
  • Info N/A
I believe Smith will be cut after this year. His willingness to lower his cap number makes it possible. Hill and Davis will be battling next year for the starting job with possibly a vet or rookie behind them. Davis is our future. I love how they aren't throwing him into the wolfs. Let the guy grown at his own pace.