There are 135 users in the forums

Jason Whitlock's Top 10 NFL truths - Nate Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I'm hearing more and more positive commentaries about this kid... I hope to be surprised as well. Here is what Whitlock has to say:

Link to Whitlock's Top 10 NFL Truths 09'

Quote:
4. I'm not going to write an I-told-you-so column about 49ers rookie quarterback Nate Davis until the conclusion of the season.

Nate, of course, was the best rookie quarterback in the preseason, which wasn't surprising to anyone who followed his remarkable career at Ball State University. Too much has been made of Nate's learning disability. He learns rapidly and at a high level on the football field. He has a natural instinct for the game.

By midseason, I expect Davis to begin earning playing time in San Francisco. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith can't match Nate's natural physical gifts. And 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye (one of the best at teaching pass protection) and quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson (a terrific mentor and communicator) form a perfect combo to develop Davis.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before going into detail about why Nate slipped to the fifth round. Plus, I want to see how Nate handles the maturity issues that impact quarterback play.

In bold is the only area I disagree with.....If that is the case that means by midseason we are probably 2-6 with both alex and sean playing horribly....
I'm sorry, but I cannot commit to the kid yet. Fans have been too trigger happy on this site in declaring who the 49ers next QB star is. First, it was JTO, then Hill, and now Davis.

There is so much involved before one can determine how good a QB will be, especially if we expect him to lead us to the SB. There is no way Ariz would have gone to the SB last year without Warner. The good, playoff-tough QBs - the ones that perform and do not choke - are far and few between.

While Davis shows potential, lets cool down and watch. He hs many, many tests to pass yet.
Originally posted by spraked:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Let him sit a full year, and then discuss it next off-season depending on Hill's or Smith's performance, let's take it slow with this kid, he could have a bright future, bring more talent first.

Yes, baby steps. I don't want to see him on the field in a regular season game until game 12 of 2010 at the earliest.

I would not mind seeing him on the field but only i little bit at the end of some blow out games...

That way he gets some nfl play time and can get use to the game speed.

Yeah. Coaches used to do this more often when I remembered. They don't do it anymore.
If the 9ers do not have to spend one of their 2 first round draft picks selecting a Q.B. that would be huge!

So we all have to hope Nate or Alex prove before this season is out, one of them indeed is our future, hopefully as soon as 2010!

I think Q.B. Hill is a short term answer, sorry.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Wait who is Jason Whitlock and why should I care what he says?

Dont care what he says, he is a moron some of the worst articles ive read about football or sports has been by this moron.

He thinks Jeff George can still play in the NFL today

I do like Nate Davis tho, and we should let him sit this year and learn the game and next year let him compete for playing time

agreed. he is a complete idiot. this guy just throws monkey poop at you and expects you to eat it.
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Dont care what he says, he is a moron some of the worst articles ive read about football or sports has been by this moron.

He thinks Jeff George can still play in the NFL today

I do like Nate Davis tho, and we should let him sit this year and learn the game and next year let him compete for playing time

agreed. he is a complete idiot. this guy just throws monkey poop at you and expects you to eat it.

Agreed. f**k Jason Whitlock. He's the most backward ass, self hating, race baiting, Uncle Tom, brain dead, excuse for a journalist I've ever seen in my life.

I am still in complete disbelief that this man actually gets PAID to write the trash that he does. It's disgusting.

I couldn't care less about anything he has to say...even if it is pro Niners.
I believe that Nate Davis is THE CHOSEN ONE

I'm hearing more and more positive commentaries about this kid... I hope to be surprised as well. Here is what Whitlock has to say:

Quote:
4. I'm not going to write an I-told-you-so column about 49ers rookie quarterback Nate Davis until the conclusion of the season.

Nate, of course, was the best rookie quarterback in the preseason, which wasn't surprising to anyone who followed his remarkable career at Ball State University. Too much has been made of Nate's learning disability. He learns rapidly and at a high level on the football field. He has a natural instinct for the game.

By midseason, I expect Davis to begin earning playing time in San Francisco. Shaun Hill and Alex Smith can't match Nate's natural physical gifts. And 49ers offensive coordinator Jimmy Raye (one of the best at teaching pass protection) and quarterbacks coach Mike Johnson (a terrific mentor and communicator) form a perfect combo to develop Davis.

I'm going to wait until the end of the season before going into detail about why Nate slipped to the fifth round. Plus, I want to see how Nate handles the maturity issues that impact quarterback play.

Really like the good vibes around Nate Davis.
  • supersing
  • Info N/A
I'm excited about Nate, don't get me wrong, but, you have to take this with a grain of salt. Whitlock has been on Nate's nutsack for awhile, they both went to Ball State!

Quote:

So in other words, by midseason our playoff hopes will have gone down the tubes once again, so why not use the rest of the season to get Nate D. some playing time

Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:

No idea but he hit the nail on the head on every other truth.

hes the main sportswriter for the Kansas City Star. been doing it for years and years. hes on national TV sometimes ala Skip Bayless. big black guy. his writing is focused on black players alot of the time.
Originally posted by BigMar:
If the 9ers do not have to spend one of their 2 first round draft picks selecting a Q.B. that would be huge!

So we all have to hope Nate or Alex prove before this season is out, one of them indeed is our future, hopefully as soon as 2010!

I think Q.B. Hill is a short term answer, sorry.

He was to begin with sadly. -He's going to be the Steve Deberg (to this new offensive system) to whomever we hopefully develop as the next Joe Montana. (Within a figure of speech, not complete context.)

Originally posted by NJNiner:

Quote:

So in other words, by midseason our playoff hopes will have gone down the tubes once again, so why not use the rest of the season to get Nate D. some playing time

This season could already be a wash as it is, so I have a pretty big feeling Nate's coming out party will be on MNF in December. -But just anybody BUT Alex Smith, that guy's football confidence is that of a little kid being told that Santa wasn't real.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Sep 10, 2009 at 14:47:28 ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran

He is a Ball State alumni and a major Ball State homer, take anything positive he says about Ball State and it's players with a grain of salt.
Originally posted by BobS:

He is a Ball State alumni and a major Ball State homer, take anything positive he says about Ball State and it's players with a grain of salt.

He played on the line while Jeff George was the qb on their high school team, thus his belief in George. As for Davis, Whitlock is a major homer, that's where he went to school. The fact that he supports Davis isn't the best part of the column. It's the fact that he thinks that Jimmy Raye and Johnson are good at something. He's probably the first person I've heard complement them both in the same paragraph. Anyways he's very controversial with his writings on McNair and Erin Andrews. I hope Davis develops, but I do not hope that we suck enough that he's in there by midseason.

[ Edited by JDeezy on Sep 10, 2009 at 15:00:38 ]
Nate Davis is the Most talented QB the 49ers have had in this decade.

Out of all of the young QBs the 49ers have brought in, he is the only one that I've ever thought 'Wow' about.

Rocket arm, looks accurate, fairly mobile, fairly tall, good in the 2-minute drill.

Why the hell should we sit him this season?

If Hill goes down (or struggles), do you wanna see Smith on the field again?

I sure as hell don't. I've seen enough of Smith. He's horrible.

If Nate doesn't play THIS year, the 49ers are going to draft a QB savior next year and Nate won't get his shot here at all.

The logic behind 'sitting' a QB is old. Many 1st year QBs have success nowadays.

Nate should be the #2 QB on this team right now and if/when Hill needs to be replaced, Nate should get a chance to play.
Share 49ersWebzone