There are 125 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Spencer wins #2 corner spot

What!? Bly has shown way more than Spencer this preseason. What has Spencer done???
Significant victory for Spencer, possibly 49ers

September 7, 2009 5:27 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The 49ers' decision to name Shawntae Spencer as their starting cornerback opposite Nate Clements looks like a welcome development after the team lost Walt Harris to a season-ending injury during minicamps.

Dre Bly showed enough during training camp to project as a potential starter, but he's an older player best suite for a situational role. The team likes Tarell Brown as well, but injuries have slowed him and Brown lacks experience.

Having Spencer rise up and win the job less than one year after suffering a season-ending knee injury stands as a victory for Spencer and possibly the 49ers. Spencer started 13 games in 2006. The knee injury he suffered last season forced him to earn his way back. The standing he once enjoyed as a 2004 second-round draft choice no longer mattered.

Now comes the hard part: matching up against the Cardinals' receievers in Week 1.
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
Originally posted by susweel:
That's so ten minutes ago.

i didnt see it on niner talk thats y i started the thread

I know, Im just messing with you.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
well all i gotta say is bly and brown played well but got beat out by spencer.
so how has no one beat out clements for the other side? lol

oh and one more thing

WOOOHOO SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT BESIDES CRABTREE!!! YES!

what's a "Crabtree"? I have no idea what such a thing is, or what it has to do with the Niners.

Oh my dictionary says a "crabtree" is a pile of stinky s**t that needs money or it will die

your dictionary is pretty smart.
Im really suprised to hear this, I guess Spencer was having a good TC and pre-season, you rarely heard his name called which is a good thing for a corner but im surpised. Maybe it's because he has experince vs the Cardinals receivers and he has much better size to go up against them? I don't know....

I thought Bly was playing pretty well, certainly better than Clements.
YEA look at the name boy

IBTM
He has always played well but injuries have set him back. We'll see if he can stay healthy and hold the job.

I feel good though with Bly and Tarrell Brown as our nickel corners.
NICE
i love shawntae spencer..
this definitely came out of no where. I didn't notice anything in the preseason to warrant the starting position. I guess they figure Bly is too much of a risk taker. Either way this means we have a good #3 going into the season

[ Edited by asu49ers on Sep 7, 2009 at 14:46:48 ]
Im really suprised to hear this, I guess Spencer was having a good TC and pre-season, you rarely heard his name called which is a good thing for a corner but im surpised. Maybe it's because he has experince vs the Cardinals receivers and he has much better size to go up against them? I don't know....

I thought Bly was playing pretty well, certainly better than Clements.
Originally posted by momoney925:
NICE
i love shawntae spencer..

His one and only career highlight.
woooooooooooooooooooooo

Eddie Murphy is starting again
so what who cares about Spencer... Dre Bly should be the guy he is our most talented CB on the team... sorry Nate Clements but you are not producing