There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Spencer wins #2 corner spot

I predict he lines up against Boldin. Fitz will probably get doubled.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by dj43:
I admit I am a bit surprised by this news but I am not shocked.

When Spencer was healthy, he was a very good cover guy and the best tackler in the secondary. He has always been very good in run support. Unlike some corners who just come up and flop down in front of some big 'ol guard pounding at them, Spencer had a knack of being able to split the blockers and get to the ball carrier. His tackling technique is excellent.

His problem was that two years ago he had a hamstring injury that slowed him all season long. He played through it and accepted the criticism without ever mentioning he was playing on one leg. He could have used that as an excuse but he isn't that kind of guy. Also, if opponents found out he was injured, they would have thrown at him even more. Then last year he was healthy and playing very well as the nickel, even challenging Harris as a cover back, and tore the knee.

So it is good to hear this news because it sounds like he is playing back to his pre-injury days. If that is true, he will make a lot of believers on this board.

Well said.

Spencer has always been a good NFL cover corner, and in recent years, he has shown more and more ability to tackle.

Like you said the injury that slowed him down made him look bad on a few plays. That combined with a deep pass he gave up against Larry Fitzgerald a few years back, has caused people to say he sucks etc.

Before Walt's injury, I believed that Brown and Spencer were going to seriously challenge Harris for his starting job. I am not surprised Spencer is starting.

I thought Sing just still remembers what Spencer did to Kitna a few years ago...
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame

IWASATTHEHIT
  • KRS-1
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Sad to say but breaston would be our number1>

If Breaston is so great then why is Arizona keeping Boldin?

Quote:
Eagles coach Andy Reid said Tuesday that the team didn't make a greater effort to trade for Anquan Boldin because the price was too high.
Reid hinted that the price may have been first-, third-, and fifth-round picks in addition to the nearly $10 million per year it would take to make Boldin happy. "So you get hit on both sides of it," explained Reid.
Originally posted by adrenaline:
I predict he lines up against Boldin. Fitz will probably get doubled.

Once they go 3 wide i don't think they can double Fitz. Plus they always move Boldin in the slot and he kills us b/c he gets matched up with the nickel back. Remeber last year how he kept killing Strickland. .
  • ldussan
  • Info N/A
I remember that before spencer got hurt he was just blossoming into a great corner. I'm not surprised. Helluva defensive backfield we're going to have this year. And it shows up in the preseason games. Hopefully a pass rush will show up to go with it.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

IWASATTHEHIT

Well played.

Horsecore was there, too.
Originally posted by ldussan:
I remember that before spencer got hurt he was just blossoming into a great corner. I'm not surprised. Helluva defensive backfield we're going to have this year. And it shows up in the preseason games. Hopefully a pass rush will show up to go with it.

The secondary is one area that looks to be better with Goldson taking over for Roman and Spencer returning to form. Now if Clements can play back to form as well, it will be a better unit.

However, even a great secondary can be made to look mediocre if there is no pass rush.

...always a spoiler in the crowd.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ldussan:

The secondary is one area that looks to be better with Goldson taking over for Roman and Spencer returning to form. Now if Clements can play back to form as well, it will be a better unit.

However, even a great secondary can be made to look mediocre if there is no pass rush.

...always a spoiler in the crowd.

Amen brotha! Amen...
I thought a year or two ago, that Spencer was looking pretty good. . . . but am surprised that with all of his injuries and missed time in the preseason that he got the nod over Bly. I thought Bly looked pretty sharp.
If the other teams try and go 4 wide I like our chances....Hopefully we generate a pass rush...

Clements
Spencer
Brown
Bly
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Gelder:
Originally posted by HearstFan:
A bunch of people think moving Clements to safety is the answer. GIVE ME A BREAK. Cornerbacks don't automitically make good safeties - particularly ones that have a demonstrated knack for letting people get behing them!!

Yeah but he is a good tackler, and very physical. I think thats why people think that.

Nate Clements reminds me a lot of Marquez Pope. Who was not a very good cover guy but was a good hitter. Only difference 49ers didn't pay him boat load of money.

Marquez "Toast" - Ugh....
Originally posted by genz22:
If the other teams try and go 4 wide I like our chances....Hopefully we generate a pass rush...

Clements
Spencer
Brown
Bly

Those four you named have joined you in praying for the bolded part.
I watch ALL of the Niner games. I remember Spencer as being only a decent corner. He covers decently, but still gives up completions. The only interceptions he gets are the ones that are thrown right to him......they fall into his hands instead of him aggressively going after a ball and making a nice pick.

If the Niners want turnovers, then they should have started Bly or Brown.
For some reason I have always liked Spencer! I thought he should have remained the starter even after we picked up Harris, just my take.