There are 182 users in the forums

Spencer wins #2 corner spot

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Singletary is not a dumbass when it comes to defense. If Spencer won the job, the he must of really impressed Sing. This is a good thing.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
seriously????? wtf has spencer done over bly in the preseason that has shown that he deserves to be the 2nd cb

Preseason is not only games but practices. Singletary must make his decision based on both, though fans don't have insight into practice time.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Misleading title. I think it is gonna be Bly. Brown will be nickle corner

tohara didn't get passed the headline
Bly is a gambler. He may have alot of interceptions, but he has been burned throughout his career even more. Not only was he CONSISTENTLY burned in Denver the past couple of years, he was also abused constantly at Detroit as well.

I've always felt Bly was over-rated and remember an article I read that provided detailed stats to prove it. Unfortunately, that was over a year ago so I won't be able to find the link.
Maybe opposing QBs will throw more towards Spencer which in turn will mean fewer TD catches against Clements. Joking.
Originally posted by kronik:
Bly is a gambler. He may have alot of interceptions, but he has been burned throughout his career even more. Not only was he CONSISTENTLY burned in Denver the past couple of years, he was also abused constantly at Detroit as well.

I've always felt Bly was over-rated and remember an article I read that provided detailed stats to prove it. Unfortunately, that was over a year ago so I won't be able to find the link.

Perhaps this is so, but Brown does provide some semblance of balance. Giving the starting job to a guy coming off a torn acl, when it's been proven that this injury takes a couple of seasons to recover from--see Lawson, Manny--is certainly a risky move. IMO Spencer could've been allowed to ease into things. The fact that we have no real pass rush and Clements is also struggling won't bode well for him. I hope he proves me wrong, but at least we have good depth at the position.
I really didn't see this coming at all...... But I guess the coaches are seeing something we aren't.....

And all this means is that we have great CB depth, and only if the pass rush could be decent at AZ, we can beat them.
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A

Then why did we pick him up? I continue to wonder what our front office is doing.
  • ZRF80

Thats a little misleading. Bly was consistently burned in Denver because he was line up against the best corner in the game today. No one dares throw Bailey's way, so when in doubt, you pick on the other guy. Kinda like how Eric Davis was on our roster once upon a time. Good, solid corner....but seemed to be "burned" a lot because Deion was playing opposite him and no one threw his way.
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:

Then why did we pick him up? I continue to wonder what our front office is doing.

We picked him up because he was the best veteran corner out there. Certainly better and healthier than Mcalister.

Yeah, there is NOBODY who could have predicted this one. That said, the only thing I can think of is that both Spencer & Clements are our biggest and most fysical corners so I'm "hoping" we plan on playing AZ very very very fysical at the LOS b/c if not, we are going to get crushed. The AZ WR's play very fysical anyways but seemed to be even more amped last year against us as we were 2-0 against them the year before and were seeking some revenge.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Thats a little misleading. Bly was consistently burned in Denver because he was line up against the best corner in the game today. No one dares throw Bailey's way, so when in doubt, you pick on the other guy. Kinda like how Eric Davis was on our roster once upon a time. Good, solid corner....but seemed to be "burned" a lot because Deion was playing opposite him and no one threw his way.

I have to disagree with a few points u made up.

1. Eric Davis never got "burned" as often as Bly.
2. Bly got burned consistly at St. Louis as well as a Detroit Lion.

The reason why he is overrated is the picks he gets. How does he get those picks u ask? Because he GAMBLES.
Originally posted by NinersCluebat:

Well, I'm not saying I'm a better GM, but I wouldn't have picked him up. But I can understand why they did. At the time, Harris was lost to a season ending injury. Also at that time, Spencer (off his own season ending injury last year) was being held out of workouts for precautionary reasons.

So the bottomline is, it wasn't a terrible move (since there weren't much better FA's). I was OK with signing him to compete with Brown and Spencer.

PS: for all the people that hate Clements because he gets "burned" every once in a while, you guys haven't watched Bly play the last few years have u?
So Sing's comment that the competition for the 2nd CB spot was still open between Bly and Brown was.......MISSING SOMEBODY!

I'm not very fond of this idea.
Originally posted by jreff22:
So Sing's comment that the competition for the 2nd CB spot was still open between Bly and Brown was.......MISSING SOMEBODY!

I'm not very fond of this idea.

If Spencer holds true to form, Sing's statement will be true about Bly and Brown. I hope Spenser can stay healthy though.
Share 49ersWebzone