LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 201 users in the forums

I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!

I voted he has a weak arm. I hope that he proves me wrong. I have been a 49er fan all my life and I will support him and hope that he can win us some games and take us to a winning season.
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I think Hill will do a fine job, but nothing spectacular. With this current offense I'd give a prediction of 3,200 yards (22 touchdowns, 16 interceptions).

22 td's? We bringing Martz back or something?

I figure we'll be playing from behind a bunch of games so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he'll toss a few garbage time touchdowns.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WestCoast:
the "fact" is that shaun hill is 7-3 as a starter lifetime. He has never started the year or played a whole year. I hope he continues to win so we can get a playoff birth, but I just see the tide beginning to turn in favor of Nate Davis.

but there wouldn't have been a whole offseason QB battle if it was a legit 7-3. Also it was said booth QB's was dead even in the battle and Hill gets the nod due to his 7-3 record.

But if he couldn't separate from Alex Smith. Is he really worthy of starting? answer no. We just have no other options.
eh, both Matts said Smith was playing better than he had ever played previously. If that is true, the fact Hill didn't "separate" is good news, not bad.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
the "fact" is that shaun hill is 7-3 as a starter lifetime. He has never started the year or played a whole year. I hope he continues to win so we can get a playoff birth, but I just see the tide beginning to turn in favor of Nate Davis.

but there wouldn't have been a whole offseason QB battle if it was a legit 7-3. Also it was said booth QB's was dead even in the battle and Hill gets the nod due to his 7-3 record.

But if he couldn't separate from Alex Smith. Is he really worthy of starting? answer no. We just have no other options.
eh, both Matts said Smith was playing better than he had ever played previously. If that is true, the fact Hill didn't "separate" is good news, not bad.

I kept refreshing the page giving you a chance to edit your post. But since you aren't gonna.

I'll reply with
I think Hill will do a fine job, but nothing spectacular. With this current offense I'd give a prediction of 3,200 yards (22 touchdowns, 16 interceptions).

22 td's? We bringing Martz back or something?

I figure we'll be playing from behind a bunch of games so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he'll toss a few garbage time touchdowns.

I think our defense will do fine this year....just enough to give our offense a chance to win at the end....like last year...

so....if we are indeed behind most of the time by the bye week... I feel Hill would be the reason...and if that is the case, I'm sure Singletary will pull him by then....

but I think your prediction TD #s are pretty close...but because we might have alot of rushing TDs thankx to our strategy......but I don't know about 16ints though..... I think in he'll have like 10 picks this year maybe.....
  • dj43
Originally posted by dj43:

I kept refreshing the page giving you a chance to edit your post. But since you aren't gonna.

I'll reply with
OK. I was a little vague.

My point was that Hill is Hill. He isn't going to show much now that he hasn't already shown after four years with good coaching in Minne and some game time here.

Smith, OTOH, was getting solid fundamental coaching for the first time in his pro career and it showed with improved performance.

So the way I would put it is; Smith closed the gap between himself and Hill, not because Hill regressed but because Smith improved.
Hill will be able to........"manage the game."

Hill will realize how much better Martz is to his stats than Raye. Raye's structure will limit his ability to improvise, and he may end up s*cking.
I think Shaun Hill will cost us the game against Arizona like he did last season. There's no upside whatsoever to this guy, he just plain sucks. Hopefully he can prove either of my comments wrong but I doubt it.

This prediction sounds about right. 16 interceptions sounds high. The key will also be in limiting sacks. Not another 55 sack season,

Originally posted by Afrikan:
It's time to back up your opinion or as some would think, "Facts".

As I have stated before, I expect Hill to do fine this year....put up some real good numbers and continue where he left off last year.

if we are predictable on offense then yes, imo Hill and the offense will struggle...as would any QB.

ex. run run Pass.....if we consistently set our self's up with 3rd and longs after running it 2 times.

but I feel Raye will do a good job with our offensive personal.....with Vernon, Gore, Bruce, Morgan, Jason Hill all making plays....thankx to Shaun playing like he has in the past...spreading the ball around, finding the open man....and just moving the chains.

So basically I expect Hill to be the starter all season...unless he gets injured.*knocks on wood*

so what do you feel will happen this year......let this thread be the one where we can all come back to during the season.....state which option you voted for and why. If you feel I should add more options to choose from, let me know.

I voted for Hill. He is a better quarterback than people give him credit for, and he has Singletary's backing
Originally posted by Method:
I think Shaun Hill will cost us the game against Arizona like he did last season. There's no upside whatsoever to this guy, he just plain sucks. Hopefully he can prove either of my comments wrong but I doubt it.

how did he cost us the game I remember him almost winning the game and Martz calling a run up the middle with Robinson.
short answer = weak arm, blah blah, whatever else that option said...

Without speaking in absolutes, I don't have much confidence that Hill will be anything more than average at best as our starting QB. Maybe that will be enough to give us a winning season... but I doubt it. I kept hearing about his poise and quick decision making that makes up for his subpar arm strength and physical limitations... just haven't seen it thus far. I don't know if it's the newfound pressure he's experiencing, lacking familiarity of scheme, or if he's been so overhyped that he fails to match expectations. I just know that he's looked worse than I remember, and what I remember wasn't grand to begin with. Hope I'm wrong and he can get things done, as losing sucks. If he can't get it done, I hope that Alex will and that SF is smart enough to exercise patience with developing Nate Davis.
I voted.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
It's time to back up your opinion or as some would think, "Facts".

As I have stated before, I expect Hill to do fine this year....put up some real good numbers and continue where he left off last year.

if we are predictable on offense then yes, imo Hill and the offense will struggle...as would any QB.

ex. run run Pass.....if we consistently set our self's up with 3rd and longs after running it 2 times.

but I feel Raye will do a good job with our offensive personal.....with Vernon, Gore, Bruce, Morgan, Jason Hill all making plays....thankx to Shaun playing like he has in the past...spreading the ball around, finding the open man....and just moving the chains.

So basically I expect Hill to be the starter all season...unless he gets injured.*knocks on wood*

so what do you feel will happen this year......let this thread be the one where we can all come back to during the season.....state which option you voted for and why. If you feel I should add more options to choose from, let me know.

I voted for Hill. He is a better quarterback than people give him credit for, and he has Singletary's backing

I think Hill will be okay. I voted for him. He will manage the game; won't take the game over and win it but won't lose the game with turnovers. Until he proves different on the field for more than half a season, I don't think he can be considered any more than average.

[ Edited by nazniner on Sep 6, 2009 at 17:29:14 ]
Share 49ersWebzone