There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Roster List (53 Man)

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:

The 49ers have traditionally had an equal number of offensive vs. defensive players, even with a 3-4 defense. Certainly, a difference of three is significant. I'm saying fatigue will be another reason to sub more often on defense. After seeing our offense in pre-season, it seems like a smart (logical) conclusion.

I absolutely agree with you that fatigue is a reason we would sub D players in. What I do not agree with is your conclusion that Singletary's already resigned himself to seeing our defense on the field for 40 minutes a game, with your sole evidence being the lack of a perfectly balanced roster and one preseason game (The fourth one no less!). If we wanted to draw ANY conclusions from a preseason game for whatever reason, it should be the third one against Dallas.

TOP was about equal in that game.

At the end of the day, who knows what's going to happen. Even if you're completely right, which I refuse to concede
, our roster is probably going to undergo some changes as we head into waivers/Week One anyway.

[ Edited by showtime49 on Sep 6, 2009 at 08:57:01 ]
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
This is so hilarious.

I just can't believe that these guys are serious. I mean nobody can really think that you should keep #4 RB and let #2 safety go. They must be joking.

And do these people really think that this is the final roster? No, they are just fooling around. Nobody can be that stupid.
From MM's twitter:
Person close to Kory Sheets says it's in his best interest to go unclaimed & return to 49ers practice squad. He might not be quite ready.

If this is true, it definitely sounds like good news to me. Means he might like what the Niners offer and he's not some ...diva who thinks he's automatically ready for the NFL based on his college accolades.
At first I was surprised at Sheets getting cut, but then I realized this happens every year:
-A 3rd-4th string RB has a good preseason
-Everyone starts talking about how he can be a contributor
-He gets cut and everyone is shocked and hopes he lasts to our PS
-No teams show interest and he makes our PS

Although I don't remember their names, this pattern predates Clayton.
Lewis' concussion probably had something to do with Taylor making the team, but he looked like our best DB when he was in the game against SD. He is fysical and is always around the football. I can't say what his cover skills are like, but he can take on a RB as well as any DB we have. His future might be at SS.

Right now Roman is our backup SS. Not only is that a positon that doesn't fit his skillset, he also sucks.
why can't kickers punt as well? that would save a roster spot. i don't know why this irks me

do other teams have long snappers that don't do anything but long snap? this kind of irks me too
Originally posted by teeohh:
why can't kickers punt as well? that would save a roster spot. i don't know why this irks me

do other teams have long snappers that don't do anything but long snap? this kind of irks me too

Probably specialization...kinda like how pitchers aren't home run hitters. They're busy working on pitching. Kickers are busy kicking off a tee for distance, Punters accuracy and distance. Similar but different skillset?

Romero could do both in an average fashion, but Nedney/Lee are both legit players.

I'm pretty sure other teams have designated long snappers as well but not pro bowlers like Jennings

[ Edited by showtime49 on Sep 6, 2009 at 09:32:34 ]
Who gets cut when (if?) Crabtree signs? I think Taylor (we don't need 5 safeties) or Spurlock.
Originally posted by jta854:
Who gets cut when (if?) Crabtree signs? I think Taylor (we don't need 5 safeties) or Spurlock.

Considering our starting safety had 2 concussions in 10 days, I don't think you can say we have 5 safeties at the moment. 2 in 10 days is pretty serious. Plus Goldson has an injury history as well.

It would have to be Spurlock.

Hill or Spurlock

I also think Briggs will get cut once Ahmad Brooks is healthy which could be sometime next week? Man I hope we get Tony Pashos on this team.
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:

Hill or Spurlock

I also think Briggs will get cut once Ahmad Brooks is healthy which could be sometime next week? Man I hope we get Tony Pashos on this team.

What makes you think Crabtree is going to sign?
  • Twister68
  • Info N/A
None of the players cut were claimed.

Maybe some of you now understand why you are not in pro football business? NinerGm? Do you want to explain? Anybody?
I like curtis taylor alot. he makes some big hits back there, and seems to have the speed to cover too...we havent had a good safety in a long time, and dashon and CT would be sickk if they both can perform.
Originally posted by Twister68:
None of the players cut were claimed.

No fair injecting realism into Niner Talk. It is totally inappropriate. This is a FAN board as in FANatic. Don't you know that a fanatic is never realistic?

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by dj43:
s
Originally posted by Crown:
Per Sing:

"The overarching theme behind the roster decisions for Singletary and his coaching staff was work ethic.

“You want guys on the team that have a common denominator – that football is important to them and they have a great work ethic,” Singletary said. “As a coach, I was pleasantly surprised that all of these guys had a great work ethic. Certain guys just stepped up in certain areas and did things that made you look twice. Whether it be Spurlock, Jean Francois or Curtis [Taylor], I just think they did a good job. As we sat down as a staff, their names just kept coming up.”

Sweet, we should win the Superbowl if we're ever measured by our work ethic! f**k that, I want guys who show up on game day, not just the clowns who try extra hard to work out in practice to make up for their lack of talent. Yes discipline and worth ethic is important, but at the end of the day I want a gamer.

I am stunned that you are not an exec on an NFL team

That makes two of us.....I dont think I would do much worst than the Niners the last 6 years......

BTW, I'm very disappointed with our current roster. We have not upgraded at all fom last year. The Marvel Smith fiasco is unacceptable....unacceptable! As some have pointed out, the guy was never even cleared to fully practice from TEAM DOCTOR - YES, TEAM DOCTORS! That means they had a pretty good idea how things could end up. There is no way we should have bet on this guy being our starter. Bring him in fine, but no back up?

I say if we suffer another losing season Scotty needs to lose his job. I'll make myself available to take over.....

There were other bodies out there that are called ROTs, but Smith was the best available. The 49ers invested very little money in the guy. McC did his job in the way the contract was written.
You can't just go out and get a starter via FA. No team is going to just release a starting offensive tackle in this league.

There are a lot of other OTs out there. Right after Smith retired, McC indicated they would be watching the waiver wire closely to find a good option to replace him.

Its not about the money. I could care less if they gave him the kind of money Craptree wants. It's the about the probability of him playing. The fact that he hardly made it through practice tells me his back was a huge problem. Either he totally lied to us and the Dr.'s didn't catch it or Scotty just gambled on our whole season and just roled a snake eyes. But Smith isn't the only problem. How do we go into the season with Simms as our swing man? The guy has proven over and over again that he can't play. Are you telling me we couldn't of at least upgraded him? Seriously? By my count we needed at least two legit back ups/starters going into the offseason. There is no excuse for being in this position.

Staley, Snyder (oft injured), Simms (not oft injured enough).
It is pretty much standard practice for teams needing backups at certain positions, to wait until after the cuts are made and then grab a guy. Hence, Tony Pashos looks like he is in play. If not him, there are a couple other guys out there that are in the same general category - vets that were no longer good enough to start and too expensive to be backups.

I don't care to get into a McCloughan discussion but Marvel Smith was the best ROT available in FA. McC grabbed him early and they waited to see if the surgery was successful. It wasn't. The 49ers spent next to nothing for him and he didn't work out. It wasn't like there was a Pro Bowler floating around and McC ignored him. That did not happen.