There are 146 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Roster List (53 Man)

Kory Sheets is a 1 dimensional player, and just like Clayton, he won't be claimed off waivers.
Originally posted by showtime49:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Of the 53, 23 are offense and 26 defense. It's clear which squad Singletary believes will be on the field more often.

I don't follow your logic.

Defense needs more players in rotation than the offense. How often are we subbing out the Quarterback, Running back, Tackles in comparison to D line, DBs and LBs?

Need more people to go from 3-4 to Nickel to Dime.
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Of the 53, 23 are offense and 26 defense. It's clear which squad Singletary believes will be on the field more often.

lol what the heck? Terrible logic.

LOGIC:
Premise 1: The defense will be on the field more often than the offense.
Premise 2: The defense will need more subs, because the starters will be gassed.
Conclusion: Therefore, there should be more players on defense.

[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Sep 5, 2009 at 18:07:08 ]
  • Crown
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Per Sing:

"The overarching theme behind the roster decisions for Singletary and his coaching staff was work ethic.

“You want guys on the team that have a common denominator – that football is important to them and they have a great work ethic,” Singletary said. “As a coach, I was pleasantly surprised that all of these guys had a great work ethic. Certain guys just stepped up in certain areas and did things that made you look twice. Whether it be Spurlock, Jean Francois or Curtis [Taylor], I just think they did a good job. As we sat down as a staff, their names just kept coming up.”

Sweet, we should win the Superbowl if we're ever measured by our work ethic! f**k that, I want guys who show up on game day, not just the clowns who try extra hard to work out in practice to make up for their lack of talent. Yes discipline and worth ethic is important, but at the end of the day I want a gamer.

I am stunned that you are not an exec on an NFL team
Look on the bright side, at least we aren't the Chiefs (this year). Sean Ryan is their starting TE.
Originally posted by ziggy_gonna_rock:
QB (3) - Shaun Hill, Alex Smith, Nate Davis

RB (4) - Frank Gore, Moran Norris, Glen Coffee, Michael Robinson

WR (6) - Isaac Bruce, Josh Morgan, Arnaz Battle, Micheal Spurlock, Brandon Jones, Jason Hill.

TE (2) - Vernon Davis, Delanie Walker

OL (8) - Joe Staley, David Baas, Eric Heitmann, Chilo Rachal, Adam Snyder, Tony Wragge, Barry Sims, Cody Wallace.

DL (7) - Isaac Sopoaga, Aubrayo Franklin, Justin Smith, Kentwan Balmer, Demetric Evans, Ray McDonald, Ricky Jean-Francois.

LB (9) - Manny Lawson, Patrick Willis, Takeo Spikes, Parys Haralson, Jeff Ulbrich, Scott McKillop, Ahmad Brooks, Marques Harris, Diyral Briggs.

CB (5) - Nate Clements, Tarell Brown, Dre' Bly, Shawntae Spencer, Marcus Hudson.

S (5) - Dashon Goldson, Michael Lewis, Mark Roman, Reggie Smith, Curtis Taylor.

ST (4) - Joe Nedney, Andy Lee, Brian Jennings, Allen Rossum.

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/09/niners-53-man-roster.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Released

T Jacob Bender

T Alex Boone

WR Dobson Collins

DE Pannel Egboh

TE Joe Jon Finley

CB Eric Green

G Kyle Howard

CB Terrail Lambert

FB Brit Miller

DT Khalif Mitchell

LB Jay Moore

TE Bear Pascoe

WR Maurice Price

FB Bill Rentmeester

LB Justin Roland

RB Kory Sheets

G/C Matt Spanos

T Joe Toledo

LB Mark Washington

WR Dominique Zeigler

http://www.ninersnation.com/2009/9/5/1017135/49ers-53-man-roster-final-cuts

Bold = Mistakes

Italics = Questionable choice

But of course I am not a professional evaluator of NFL talent and my career does not depend on my opinions so I don't have to be as conservative and Mike and Co.
Mark Roman over Kory Sheets, you have got to be kidding me. WOW SIngleterry fail
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Mark Roman over Kory Sheets, you have got to be kidding me. WOW SIngleterry fail

[eyeroll] Yes, because a 4th string running back is waaaaaayyyyy more important than a 2nd string safety.
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

[eyeroll] Yes, because a 4th string running back is waaaaaayyyyy more important than a 2nd string safety.

um sorry man do you know how f---ing aweful Mark Roman is

I hate Roman but what alot of people fail to realize is we need him onthe team at this point because of the concussions Lewis has been having.

I liked Sheets, I hope he makes it to the practice squad and stays there until he can learn to block better.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Hopefully Sheets makes the PS.

Other than that no real complaints. I hope Briggs does well.
Sheets was nice eyecandy in 3rd string time. The final roster makes sense for this team...(just hope we can pick up a servicable RT from the wire)
I believe we are making several mistakes.....

1. Cutting Sheets...his speed would kill in the 2nd half after a brusing 1st half. No other back on the team has his speed. Landry was asked after our 1st NFC title game with Walsh against his Cowboys...what enabled the 49ers to beat the Cowboys? Landry answered: " Their team speed, we couldn't keep up all 4 quarters. " Kory is a home run hitter anytime he has the ball....

2. Keeping Sims....this can't be good news...he should have been cut. We need some help at OT.

3. Keeping "1 year left vets" who won't be there when this team develops into a real contender (when Nate Davis or other steps in to lead the offense): Like Ulbrich, Rossum, Sims, Roman: Walsh would have not left these on the team. He always brought in Vets that had a minimum of a two year horizon like Hacksaw Reynolds, Fred Dean, Wendell Tyler and then cut them early....no hangers on!

4. Getting a big FA Pass Rusher....That plus a full year of Harylson would have two double digit sack leaders on the team

5. Not trading Alex Smith...he will always carry bag with the fans of this team...He needs a fresh start. We should have kept Huard to assist as #2 and the development of Nate Davis. Now we don't have an experienced mentor at all.
Originally posted by B650:
Spurlock? Wow, pure genius.

Edited for the Grammar Police.

hahaha
Has anyone compared 2008 roster to the 2009 roster? What important changes were made? Especially to the starting units???

I don't see much of a difference.
Originally posted by BrodieWins:
I believe we are making several mistakes.....

1. Cutting Sheets...his speed would kill in the 2nd half after a brusing 1st half. No other back on the team has his speed. Landry was asked after our 1st NFC title game with Walsh against his Cowboys...what enabled the 49ers to beat the Cowboys? Landry answered: " Their team speed, we couldn't keep up all 4 quarters. " Kory is a home run hitter anytime he has the ball....

2. Keeping Sims....this can't be good news...he should have been cut. We need some help at OT.

3. Keeping "1 year left vets" who won't be there when this team develops into a real contender (when Nate Davis or other steps in to lead the offense): Like Ulbrich, Rossum, Sims, Roman: Walsh would have not left these on the team. He always brought in Vets that had a minimum of a two year horizon like Hacksaw Reynolds, Fred Dean, Wendell Tyler and then cut them early....no hangers on!

4. Getting a big FA Pass Rusher....That plus a full year of Harylson would have two double digit sack leaders on the team

5. Not trading Alex Smith...he will always carry bag with the fans of this team...He needs a fresh start. We should have kept Huard to assist as #2 and the development of Nate Davis. Now we don't have an experienced mentor at all.

Im gonna disagree withthat bolded staement. Walsh would have kept all except for Sims who still may be cut if we sign a RT.

Ulbrich is on the team right now because he has carved himself a niche in special teams and when he is on the field he is like another coach.Ulbrich teaches the young guy how to act like a pro.

Rossum is our most dangerous kick returner. I haven't seen any kind of ability by Spurlock thats close to Rossums home run threat.

Roman. I said this in another thread. I hate this guy! We couldn't cut him because of Lewis' concussions and we needed some kind of veteran leadership at Safety .Not thrilled about his ability. Walsh would have kept him for the same reason. He had to due to an injury.