There are 612 users in the forums

Nate Davis sure throws a pretty ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
they should sign garcia and drop Smith or Hill or both. Garcia can still play, and Davis can get buddy buddy with the clipboard until he gets the offense completely.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
they should sign garcia and drop Smith or Hill or both. Garcia can still play, and Davis can get buddy buddy with the clipboard until he gets the offense completely.

Blast from the past? That ship has sailed.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis get a start or two towards the end of the season. Possibly sooner if the preseason QB play is any indication of the regular season performance.
Originally posted by Nuns:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis get a start or two towards the end of the season. Possibly sooner if the preseason QB play is any indication of the regular season performance.

As much as I like Nate Davis, God help us all as fans if this actually happens this year.
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I can actually overthrow the ball as well! I sure haven't seen that in a while!

Can you do it in front of 75 thousand live fans and millions on TV while 300 pound lineman are trying to rip your head off?

Nate has 'IT', whatever it might be. It is as obvious that he does as it is that Smith doesn't.

this and the davis will hop smith within the 3 weeks has got to be the stupidest post ever

[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Sep 5, 2009 at 18:59:59 ]
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Yes, yes, i recognize he is playing against a mixture of first,second & third stringers in pre-season games.... but dang does he throw a nice ball with touch and dang does can he throw a deep ball on a rope.

We may have found our future guys, i see Nate getting better by the month and being in the loop to compete as a starter in the 2010 season.

Now for this season.... Q.B. Hill needs to wake up out of his sleep walking or his season may turn into a nightmare.

dang?

damn......for you British folk.

Eh, it's more like a hillbilly version of damn in the US.

Like, "Dang Jethro, you got all 6 teeth left!?" or something to that effect.
Originally posted by Nuns:

Davis only knows part of the playbook, maybe by the end of the year he could play in a pinch but that would only be under dire circumstances. He would be far better off wearing a baseball hat and holding a clipboard.
  • ZRF80
Im glad they put him on our 53 man roster. The key is to let him watch and learn from the sidelines. Possibly even get him some reps if we're winning big against lesser opposition (doubtful). I would scribble him in as number 2; let him learn from Hill, but also get some action if Hill struggles or gets injured. Maybe he can be that diamond (ala Aaron Rodgers) for us when the time comes.

Smith should be downgraded to Gatorade duties. He does a pretty good job of holding onto things. Im sure he wont drop those Gatorade cups he's carrying for Hill/Davis.
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Im glad they put him on our 53 man roster. The key is to let him watch and learn from the sidelines. Possibly even get him some reps if we're winning big against lesser opposition (doubtful). I would scribble him in as number 2; let him learn from Hill, but also get some action if Hill struggles or gets injured. Maybe he can be that diamond (ala Aaron Rodgers) for us when the time comes.

Smith should be downgraded to Gatorade duties. He does a pretty good job of holding onto things. Im sure he wont drop those Gatorade cups he's carrying for Hill/Davis.

Still believe in Hill huh? I see you talking a lot of trash about our preseason play, just like I am, but you think Hill is who our QB should be?

Meh.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Still believe in Hill huh? I see you talking a lot of trash about our preseason play, just like I am, but you think Hill is who our QB should be?

Meh.

Not much of a choice. I dont think Hill is the heir apparent, but he's shown on more than one occasion that he can handle his own. I like Davis's prospects; I wouldnt throw him into the fire just yet........let him develop behind Hill. It'll let him understand the game from the sidelines, plus learn the playbook. The key is making him a FOCUS; the only way to do that is to give Alex the boot.

You are the most reactive, fickle bunch.

First, it was JTO. Then, "Get him out of here."

Then it was on to Hill. "He has the intangibles," you insisted. "He's a winner." Now, you're not so sure.

So, you move on and crown Nate. "He throws a pretty ball, is so fluid, has a super arm, etc."

Just take a deep breath everyone. Admit that it is WAY too early to know if he is the second coming.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Blast from the past? That ship has sailed.

garcia is a vet that has been in different systems, its not a solution, just a stop gap until our Rook learns enough to take control next year or even this year if he grasps the offense good enough. we know what we have in hill and smith and its not much. garcia is a great leader, can improvise very well and has good accuracy. i dont think it would be too bad of an idea.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by excelsior:
You are the most reactive, fickle bunch.

First, it was JTO. Then, "Get him out of here."

Then it was on to Hill. "He has the intangibles," you insisted. "He's a winner." Now, you're not so sure.

So, you move on and crown Nate. "He throws a pretty ball, is so fluid, has a super arm, etc."

Just take a deep breath everyone. Admit that it is WAY too early to know if he is the second coming.

Thank you exorcist for your informative comments.......

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I can actually overthrow the ball as well! I sure haven't seen that in a while!

Can you do it in front of 75 thousand live fans and millions on TV while 300 pound lineman are trying to rip your head off?

Nate has 'IT', whatever it might be. It is as obvious that he does as it is that Smith doesn't.

this and the davis will hop smith within the 3 weeks has got to be the stupidest post ever

I respectfully disagree, at least in part. I believe that N. Davis does have that "it" factor about which Singletary has spoken.

In fact, I believe that Singletary saw that N. Davis had said "it" factor--also known as the ability to make plays--and that's why N. Davis was selected in the draft.

Equally, I agree somewhat that A. Smith has, to date, failed to show that he has that "it" factor. He has made a play, or two, with his legs, but I can't recall him ever making something out of nothing with his arm. Perhaps he can do so, once he completely understands the offense, or has a chance to gather himself on the sidelines for part of the season. Hope springs eternal.

I agree with you that it is extremely unrealistic to expect Davis to "leapfrog" Smith in the next 3 weeks. He should be content to carry a clipboard on the sidelines for this season. Wait til next year, tho.
I am no expert, so I offer this with reservations.

I think Alex can have the "it" factor, but someone needs to "coach" his personality. I think that much of what has interfered with his performance has been a carefulness that impairs his effectiveness. Because of his temperament and perhaps the way he was coached under Nolan (make no mistakes) he does not want to throw unless the receiver has broken free of coverage.

Over the years, I have noticed quality QBs will throw to covered WRs. A quality receiver will often come away with the ball, sometimes breaking free for a long gain. If Alex was more aggressive and willing to take greater risks, he may show dramatically improved results.

Indeed, I saw this with Nate Friday night. He was throwing to covered receivers in some cases, and it produced positive results. He may have brashness. But Alex can learn this too, if someone coaches him to be that way, and that a few mistakes or bad results will not result in getting yanked.
Share 49ersWebzone