LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

Nate Davis sure throws a pretty ball!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nate's arm strengh in Madden 10 sucks. These Guys at EA are so stupid.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
I can actually overthrow the ball as well! I sure haven't seen that in a while!

Can you do it in front of 75 thousand live fans and millions on TV while 300 pound lineman are trying to rip your head off?

Nate has 'IT', whatever it might be. It is as obvious that he does as it is that Smith doesn't.

this and the davis will hop smith within the 3 weeks has got to be the stupidest post ever

I respectfully disagree, at least in part. I believe that N. Davis does have that "it" factor about which Singletary has spoken.

In fact, I believe that Singletary saw that N. Davis had said "it" factor--also known as the ability to make plays--and that's why N. Davis was selected in the draft.

Equally, I agree somewhat that A. Smith has, to date, failed to show that he has that "it" factor. He has made a play, or two, with his legs, but I can't recall him ever making something out of nothing with his arm. Perhaps he can do so, once he completely understands the offense, or has a chance to gather himself on the sidelines for part of the season. Hope springs eternal.

I agree with you that it is extremely unrealistic to expect Davis to "leapfrog" Smith in the next 3 weeks. He should be content to carry a clipboard on the sidelines for this season. Wait til next year, tho.

There have been a few times that Smith has made a play with his arm, @Seattle in 06, leading the comeback win against the Cards @ AZ in 07, Against the raiders in 06 @ Jokeland. The talk of Davis being great this year is setting yourselves up for disappointment. It would not be fair to throw a QB into the fire before they are ready, we have seen how that works out.

I'm certainly not saying that Davis will be great this year. To the contrary, I agree that we should be patient, let him learn behind Hill and Smith for at least a year. That being said, I still think he has that IT factor.

Equally, I am not saying that Smith cannot make a throw, or hasn't passed for a TD or a first down or whatever. He did so as recently as the preseason game against the Broncos, hitting Britt Miller twice for TDs.

What I'm saying is that I can't recall seeing him make something out of apparently nothing with his arm. Throw someone open, or make a seemingly impossible or improbable throw with split second decision making and timing. When have you seen him turn a busted play into a big gain with his arm?

I'm not a Smith hater, and hope that he succeeds. I can recall him making excellent throws on occasion--though I also recall him making some not so good thows, maybe too often.

All I'm saying is that Nate Davis has shown alot of pocket presence, moxie, coolness and ability under pressure, "IT," so far, and that Alex Smith still needs to work on developing that aspect of his game--which may yet come as he continues to mature.

Nate Davis, however, seems to have it already, and this time next year will be competing for some playing time. IMHO.

I agree OM9, just saying that Smith isn't as bad as some folks on this site try to make him out to be. I do want to see if the "it" that you guys are accrediting to him is because he isn't facing starting quality defenses. I just say that we shouldn't make the same mistake with Davis we made with Smith.
Originally posted by ninerfreak:
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by darkknight49:
wow, a non crabtree bashing thread. I'm impressed.

That being said, Davis sure looks fluid.

man... could you imagine Davis throwing to Crabtree?

sorry, I couldnt resist

oh that makes it an official craptree thread here comes the lock

It wouldn't surprise me
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

Can you do it in front of 75 thousand live fans and millions on TV while 300 pound lineman are trying to rip your head off?

Nate has 'IT', whatever it might be. It is as obvious that he does as it is that Smith doesn't.

this and the davis will hop smith within the 3 weeks has got to be the stupidest post ever

I respectfully disagree, at least in part. I believe that N. Davis does have that "it" factor about which Singletary has spoken.

In fact, I believe that Singletary saw that N. Davis had said "it" factor--also known as the ability to make plays--and that's why N. Davis was selected in the draft.

Equally, I agree somewhat that A. Smith has, to date, failed to show that he has that "it" factor. He has made a play, or two, with his legs, but I can't recall him ever making something out of nothing with his arm. Perhaps he can do so, once he completely understands the offense, or has a chance to gather himself on the sidelines for part of the season. Hope springs eternal.

I agree with you that it is extremely unrealistic to expect Davis to "leapfrog" Smith in the next 3 weeks. He should be content to carry a clipboard on the sidelines for this season. Wait til next year, tho.

There have been a few times that Smith has made a play with his arm, @Seattle in 06, leading the comeback win against the Cards @ AZ in 07, Against the raiders in 06 @ Jokeland. The talk of Davis being great this year is setting yourselves up for disappointment. It would not be fair to throw a QB into the fire before they are ready, we have seen how that works out.

I'm certainly not saying that Davis will be great this year. To the contrary, I agree that we should be patient, let him learn behind Hill and Smith for at least a year. That being said, I still think he has that IT factor.

Equally, I am not saying that Smith cannot make a throw, or hasn't passed for a TD or a first down or whatever. He did so as recently as the preseason game against the Broncos, hitting Britt Miller twice for TDs.

What I'm saying is that I can't recall seeing him make something out of apparently nothing with his arm. Throw someone open, or make a seemingly impossible or improbable throw with split second decision making and timing. When have you seen him turn a busted play into a big gain with his arm?

I'm not a Smith hater, and hope that he succeeds. I can recall him making excellent throws on occasion--though I also recall him making some not so good thows, maybe too often.

All I'm saying is that Nate Davis has shown alot of pocket presence, moxie, coolness and ability under pressure, "IT," so far, and that Alex Smith still needs to work on developing that aspect of his game--which may yet come as he continues to mature.

Nate Davis, however, seems to have it already, and this time next year will be competing for some playing time. IMHO.

I agree OM9, just saying that Smith isn't as bad as some folks on this site try to make him out to be. I do want to see if the "it" that you guys are accrediting to him is because he isn't facing starting quality defenses. I just say that we shouldn't make the same mistake with Davis we made with Smith.

I get tired of all this judgemental banter, I often forget why I go to online forums to get information. This is not directed at anyone in particular, just venting a little.

Alex had a bigger upside at one time than Nate Davis does, discussion over. Stop taking away from Alex's ability to make plays, lead a team, and get the job done. These were all things included in his "intangibles" so frequently discussed on draft day 2005. If those intangibles and his competitive fire resurface, which I'm still hoping for, we have our franchise QB, and he's cheap.

I know, I know - this is the NFL and all the potential in the world means nothing blah, blah, blah... save it. We should be discussing if we can salvage Alex's career, and how we can avoid damaging Nate the same way we damaged Alex.

Alex should be the backup. If Shaun gets hurt, Alex would step in to take his last shot.
I really hope the 49ers take time with Nate Davis & let him develop. He could have a real good group of receivers to throw to if he gets a shot next year.

I understand and agree with you: don't give up on Smith, and bring N. Davis along slowly.

And BTW, I'm not OM9 (oldman9er), I'm OND.

OM9 is this really old, cranky, grumpy, hard to get along with poster who's really just here to troll, argue, incite and cause problems. My identical twin, except I'm sure I'm not nearly as old as him.

(Just kidding, he's really a very good poster, a very reasonable guy with excellent insights about the Niners. I'm flattered to be confused with him.)
Originally posted by Pogity:
Alex had a bigger upside at one time than Nate Davis does, discussion over. Stop taking away from Alex's ability to make plays, lead a team, and get the job done. These were all things included in his "intangibles" so frequently discussed on draft day 2005. If those intangibles and his competitive fire resurface, which I'm still hoping for, we have our franchise QB, and he's cheap.

We thought Smith had a bigger upside.

We were simply wrong.

This has already been proven by experience, not pre-draft 'analysis' or conjecture on a fan forum.

I know, I know - this is the NFL and all the potential in the world means nothing blah, blah, blah... save it. We should be discussing if we can salvage Alex's career, and how we can avoid damaging Nate the same way we damaged Alex.

Alex should be the backup. If Shaun gets hurt, Alex would step in to take his last shot.

Pogity, what games have you been watching?? Alex Smith should not the the back-up because you all know he has NOTHING to offer the team. He is not an NFL caliber QB and that is proven. He is one of the worst QB's in the NFL and one of the worst #1 draft picks in recent time. He is just a lucky son of a gun.

I'd rather have Arnaz battle come of the bench than Smith. Sounds retarded but Smith brings nothing to the game. At least with Arnaz i'd be wondering what would happen. With Smith, we know what would happen, 3 and out.

It is pretty bad and if a #1 overall QB can't beat out a 7 year bench warmer and 6th round pick journeyman. How more black and white can it be. In a straight comp Smith couldn't perform better than any QB on this roster. Nate and Hill would own him. And that isn't saying much you know.

He is not going to find something he never had and he isn't cheap. He stole 24 million dollars already. I mean we gave it to him but that isn't cheap given the contributions.

[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Sep 6, 2009 at 22:21:50 ]
Originally posted by Nuns:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis get a start or two towards the end of the season. Possibly sooner if the preseason QB play is any indication of the regular season performance.

As much as I like Nate Davis, God help us all as fans if this actually happens this year.

Really? Like it would be the end of the world if we finally decided that Hill and Smith are not good and lets see what Davis can do?
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by Nuns:
I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis get a start or two towards the end of the season. Possibly sooner if the preseason QB play is any indication of the regular season performance.

As much as I like Nate Davis, God help us all as fans if this actually happens this year.

Really? Like it would be the end of the world if we finally decided that Hill and Smith are not good and lets see what Davis can do?

It would mean the team was in the tank if it came to that. I don't want that to happen.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

Yah, we all see how Peyton Manning turned out. Screw Smith lol. Nobody even wants to talk about him. Davis has more than Smith EVER had. Smith is worthless and Nate actually brings some hope for the future. How many games do you think we win with Noodle, I mean Hill? Ok, Why not start Davis. At least put him at the number 2 because he is clearly better.

You are being ridiculous, Manning is the exception to the rule, he had a better team around him. But whatever you say...let's throw Nate out there and get him killed and loose 14-15 games. If Davis had more than Smith ever had, why wasn't he drafted in the first round? Your argument is so weak it doesn't even stand to reason. You people that think you know more about football than the people that get paid to do it would be hilarious if you weren't so sad...

Much better team than us ? You sure about that; the Colts were the NFL's laughing stock before Peyton came around.....
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Yah, we all see how Peyton Manning turned out. Screw Smith lol. Nobody even wants to talk about him. Davis has more than Smith EVER had. Smith is worthless and Nate actually brings some hope for the future. How many games do you think we win with Noodle, I mean Hill? Ok, Why not start Davis. At least put him at the number 2 because he is clearly better.

You are being ridiculous, Manning is the exception to the rule, he had a better team around him. But whatever you say...let's throw Nate out there and get him killed and loose 14-15 games. If Davis had more than Smith ever had, why wasn't he drafted in the first round? Your argument is so weak it doesn't even stand to reason. You people that think you know more about football than the people that get paid to do it would be hilarious if you weren't so sad...

Much better team than us ? You sure about that; the Colts were the NFL's laughing stock before Peyton came around.....

Chargers werent very good either until brees/rivers picked up that horrible franchise those couple of years. We need a quaterback, period.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Nate Davis can be a starting Qb in the NFL. He is probably 1 or two years away from being ready.

Alex Smith days as a Niner are numbered.
  • Pogity
  • Info N/A

Pogity, what games have you been watching?? Alex Smith should not the the back-up because you all know he has NOTHING to offer the team. He is not an NFL caliber QB and that is proven. He is one of the worst QB's in the NFL and one of the worst #1 draft picks in recent time. He is just a lucky son of a gun.

I'd rather have Arnaz battle come of the bench than Smith. Sounds retarded but Smith brings nothing to the game. At least with Arnaz i'd be wondering what would happen. With Smith, we know what would happen, 3 and out.

It is pretty bad and if a #1 overall QB can't beat out a 7 year bench warmer and 6th round pick journeyman. How more black and white can it be. In a straight comp Smith couldn't perform better than any QB on this roster. Nate and Hill would own him. And that isn't saying much you know.

He is not going to find something he never had and he isn't cheap. He stole 24 million dollars already. I mean we gave it to him but that isn't cheap given the contributions.

Disagree totally, obviously. the reason I posted was to remind you all that Alex did have "it" at one time. We all know he's struggled lately; you don't need to point that out. But he almost won the starting position despite all those struggles...

Ugh, why do I bother sometimes? "Nate Davis for backup" is just a new angle for the same old Alex argument. My point is still that before we dabble in Nate Davis, we have room/time to let Alex try one more time.
Simply put:

Hill gets first chance at proving he deserves to keep being the starter.

Alex gets his chance next if Hill clearly fails

Nate will only get a shot this season if both Hill And Smith suck

otherwise 9ers will smartly bring along Nate slowly and be ready in 2010

end of story

[ Edited by BigMar on Sep 7, 2009 at 10:31:57 ]
Share 49ersWebzone