There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Raye was a never going to do a complete 360 on his whole philosophy.

What i liked was that he showed the willingness to adjust and be creative. I do agree that there are still some issues but for the most part, i thought he did well.

-9fA

you may live over under but 180 should still read 180 and not 360 ...
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Frank Gore please come back soon. Coffee sucks.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
The niners QB's arm strength is the offense's biggest weakness. He wins though.

your right, it's not all the drop balls, or the conservative play calling, or oline sucking at run blocking and pass blocking...it's Hills arm.
Originally posted by 49Fever:
Raye was a never going to do a complete 360 on his whole philosophy.

What i liked was that he showed the willingness to adjust and be creative. I do agree that there are still some issues but for the most part, i thought he did well.

-9fA

you may live over under but 180 should still read 180 and not 360 ...

LOL, good point.

-9fA
I think our offense did just fine. We ran the clock out a lot on those runs. I liked to see Shaun Hill get more opportunities to throw, and he threw for two touchdowns. Acting like "He didn't break 200 yards passing" is ridiculous, seeing as how we were often starting at around the 50 yard line.

I think everyone who is mad or whatever about our offense needs to relax. We just shut out a team 35-0 and had two offensive TD's, both through the air, and another that would've happened had Morgan not dropped that pass. We're 3-1, 3-0 against the NFC West, and yet people here still are complaining. Weird.
Originally posted by cooljon16:
Way too many runs on first down. I hope he was reserved because we're only playing the rams. For a chance to beat ATL we need to open up this offense a little bit.

Agreed,if they're to ever get the run game going the offense needs to open up alot.
Originally posted by Winners:
I think our offense did just fine. We ran the clock out a lot on those runs. I liked to see Shaun Hill get more opportunities to throw, and he threw for two touchdowns. Acting like "He didn't break 200 yards passing" is ridiculous, seeing as how we were often starting at around the 50 yard line.

I think everyone who is mad or whatever about our offense needs to relax. We just shut out a team 35-0 and had two offensive TD's, both through the air, and another that would've happened had Morgan not dropped that pass. We're 3-1, 3-0 against the NFC West, and yet people here still are complaining. Weird.

I don't think you watched the 1st half.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LA9erFan:
I don't mind all the running, but running the ball straight up the gut every time simply isn't working. Throw some counters and off tackle stuff in there every once in a while.

Most of the time on counter plays the Guard has to pull which causes the play to slowly develop. It is especially harder to do in our offense because defenses usually stack the box with 8 and 9 men. What Raye needs to do is simple and that is short passes, HB draws out of the shotgun, reverses, and fake reverses which Raye finally did during the first offensive TD drive. Also, Vernon Davis is slowly becoming the QB's best friend, do I hear future pro-bowler maybe. Sorry, just had to point that out.

[ Edited by obx49 on Oct 4, 2009 at 17:05:42 ]
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by taney71:
I'll say I am not a fan of the play of the 9ers oline. They are not good right now. But Raye needs to help out. Run, screen pass, run isn't going to get it done in the NFL.

We're still giving up quite a lot of sacks. We gave up 4 sacks again today. It is due to a combination of poor line play and Hill holding on too long but you're right, the line does need to improve.

I thought Coffee looked like a rookie out there as well. I was hoping for more.

-9fA

Yeah our O-line needs really step up thier game. Raye called a very good game and Hill should have stepped up in the pocket a couple times but our Oline is garbage besides Staley and Rachal. Heitmann got owned almost every play today.

Besides Rachal? Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rachal got beat on three different ocassions to the QB. He's the guy wearing number 62, the guy blown by by the undertackles on a consistent basis. Heitmann was number 66, and while he did not have a great game, he was not the culprit for the team's woes on the O-Line.

Staley had an interesting game as well, as he gave up at least two pressures. He was not at the top of his game. Baas had another forgetable day.

Your bias against Heitmann goes back to last year's thread on Eric Heitmann is a Good Football Player, and we all learned that your unfair analysis was debunked by his play on the field and by the beat writers who followed the team. You even admitted crow on the thread.

So, why are you slipping back to your old ways?

Heitmann is not the problem.
Originally posted by GEEK:
They need to think about benching Baas or Rachal for Wragge. They both have been awful at their respective positions.

The writing is on the wall for Baas, who needs to step up his game or the Niners will let him walk.

Rachal takes so many bad angles, and is getting beat way too many times by the undertackle. Maybe the better option is to slide him over to the LG position, and have him take on the NT more often.
Originally posted by obx49:
I don't mind all the running, but running the ball straight up the gut every time simply isn't working. Throw some counters and off tackle stuff in there every once in a while.

Most of the time on counter plays the Guard has to pull which causes the play to slowly develop. It is especially harder to do in our offense because defenses usually stack the box with 8 and 9 men. What Raye needs to do is simple and that is short passes, HB draws out of the shotgun, reverses, and fake reverses which Raye finally did during the first offensive TD. Also, Vernon Davis is slowly becoming the QB's best friend, do I hear future pro-bowler maybe. Sorry, just had to point that out.

Very fair point. I've noticed MLBs completely keying in on our rushes up the middle, so what I was (poorly) trying to articulate was that some level of misdirection and/or variance in our running game would be helpful, IMO.

[ Edited by LA9erFan on Oct 4, 2009 at 17:05:14 ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by obx49:

Most of the time on counter plays the Guard has to pull which causes the play to slowly develop. It is especially harder to do in our offense because defenses usually stack the box with 8 and 9 men. What Raye needs to do is simple and that is short passes, HB draws out of the shotgun, reverses, and fake reverses which Raye finally did during the first offensive TD. Also, Vernon Davis is slowly becoming the QB's best friend, do I hear future pro-bowler maybe. Sorry, just had to point that out.

Very fair point. I've noticed MLBs completely keying in on our rushes up the middle, so what I was (poorly) trying to articulate was that some level of misdirection and/or variance in our running game would be helpful, IMO.

Definitely!
We simply must address the O line in the next draft and Free Agency, We probably need as many as 3 new starters, or at least 2 to help Rachal, I mean a Practice squad player owned him today. That's not a good sign at all. We need help, lots of it.

Wasn't too keen on the up the gut running when it wasn't overly working and we could have run up a few more points with some varition, we were still too predictable, Coffee really could and should have had a 100 yard game, if the O line performs that poorly in the run game next week, he'll be lucky to hit 60 again.
Originally posted by Winners:

The run game(part of the offense)is nonexistent.
The 2nd half was much better but the 1st half was a far cry from just fine.I think people are not necessary complaining but are very concerned with terrible offense/offensive playcalling we've seen in all the games.Obvious example against Minn-0for13 on 1st downs,get a first down and Favre never gets a chance and game over.They need to open it early and not just in the 3rd and 4th quarters.The defense deserves the most credit for these 3 wins not the offense.

[ Edited by Super5 on Oct 4, 2009 at 17:11:06 ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by GEEK:
They need to think about benching Baas or Rachal for Wragge. They both have been awful at their respective positions.

The writing is on the wall for Baas, who needs to step up his game or the Niners will let him walk.

Rachal takes so many bad angles, and is getting beat way too many times by the undertackle. Maybe the better option is to slide him over to the LG position, and have him take on the NT more often.

So are you saying just flip Rachal and Baas or move Rachal to LG, bench Baas, and start Wragge at RG?