LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
They need to think about benching Baas or Rachal for Wragge. They both have been awful at their respective positions.
Originally posted by GEEK:
They need to think about benching Baas or Rachal for Wragge. They both have been awful at their respective positions.

Not much behind them though.
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by taney71:
I'll say I am not a fan of the play of the 9ers oline. They are not good right now. But Raye needs to help out. Run, screen pass, run isn't going to get it done in the NFL.

We're still giving up quite a lot of sacks. We gave up 4 sacks again today. It is due to a combination of poor line play and Hill holding on too long but you're right, the line does need to improve.

I thought Coffee looked like a rookie out there as well. I was hoping for more.

-9fA

Yeah our O-line needs really step up thier game. Raye called a very good game and Hill should have stepped up in the pocket a couple times but our Oline is garbage besides Staley and Rachal. Heitmann got owned almost every play today.

Did you guys see the pass rush the Rams got up the middle at times? What was up with that? Seriously they need to protect Hill or Alex Smith goes in ASAP.

Heitmann and Baas played like ass is what happened. We will need to throw Wragge and will in if this keeps up.
I know everybody wants Eric Berry and what not with the Panthers pick if it becomes a top 10 pick but it is VERY obvious that we need to beef up the o-line starting with LG and RT.

-9fA
  • Envy
  • Veteran
I was pleased Raye varied the calls but we still looked shackled to the run. I wouldn't mind it if we could mix it up slightly and send Coffee on the outside also.

I'm not sure he is capable of being a power back for a full NFL season. We have to work a bit better at maintaining their durability.
I know everybody wants Eric Berry and what not with the Panthers pick if it becomes a top 10 pick but it is VERY obvious that we need to beef up the o-line starting with LG and RT.

-9fA

Yes, we need a sure-fire RT.
  • trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
I'm convinced that a lot of you guys would continue to complain if we went 15 - 1 without changing the way we play...which makes me wonder: are you a fan of the team or a fan of what you think our offensive phillosophy should be?

Look...we're 3-1....our offense is not great. It's NOT GOING TO BE....period.

Our defense is our stregnth. We DON'T TURN THE BALL OVER on offense. Special teams is 50/50 right now but can improve. This will never be the 49er offense of the 80's and 90's. Not even remotely close...but does it have to be?

Can anyone tell me...aside from the Rams, Patriots and Colts, who was the last offensive powerhouse to win a Superbowl? NOTE: of the Pat's 3 victories, they were NOT an offensive jaugernaut their first 2.

-9fA

Yes please. This is the only thing preventing us from being a superbowl contender IMO. Hill needs more than 2.5 seconds to throw.
All I have to say is thank God for Vernon with out him our offense would be beyond abysmal.

Why is Raye calling a run every time it is first down was very predictable. Morgan dropped a TD at the time we really needed him to catch it. OL was horrible Hill was sacked 4 times and hurried 10+ times. Coffee avg. only 3 yards per carry. Entire offense played at the Rams level can’t do that if you claim to be a good team. Horrible game for the offense.

Not enough adjectives to describe how bad this offense is.
^^ The drop by Morgan really made me cringe. He did all the hard work on beating his man and Shaun put threw the ball perfectly but it just went right through his hands.

-9fA

• trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
I agree...our Oline is horrible BUT i think half our sacks this season could've been avoided if Hill had any ability to avoid the rush. He's done a great job this season with what we have but his pocket awareness may be one of his biggest weaknesses.

He's somehow played quite well in spite of that.
Hill, pretty good without being given time. Would be very good (i.e. 20 yarder to VD) if given time.

O line needs to pick it up A LOT! far too inconsistent. The D is good enough to carry the team to an NFC west title but the Oline will be the downfall of the team.
overall good performance but our O-line is still a big liability
  • trellblaze1
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
All I have to say is thank God for Vernon with out him our offense would be beyond abysmal.

Why is Raye calling a run every time it is first down was very predictable. Morgan dropped a TD at the time we really needed him to catch it. OL was horrible Hill was sacked 4 times and hurried 10+ times. Coffee avg. only 3 yards per carry. Entire offense played at the Rams level can’t do that if you claim to be a good team. Horrible game for the offense.

Not enough adjectives to describe how bad this offense is.

The offense is seriously not that bad. My, God what do you people want? They scored 14 pts and dropped a sure 6pts (Morgan). It's not a great offense at all but to say something like "...not enough adjectives to describe how bad this offense is" is a bit ridiculous, IMO. You guys need to calm down. It's really NOT THAT DAMN BAD. If you think our offense is bad you should see the Rams...oh wait...

[ Edited by trellblaze1 on Oct 4, 2009 at 16:46:35 ]
The niners QB's arm strength is the offense's biggest weakness. He wins though.
Share 49ersWebzone