LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm going to reserve judgment on Shaun Hill until the regular season begins. We all know that he is a mediocre to below average preseason QB. However, he has played well in back to back seasons, and his QB rating was 12th in the NFL last season, at 87.5.

If he does not play well in the regular season, then we have a real story. However, until then, regardless of how he performed in a series of meaningless preseason games, I am not going to be concerned.

MadDog is right on this one. We'll just have to wait and see.

I agree. But like others have said I would have liked to see Shaun drive us down the field for a td.
I was against them firing Martz and after 4 pre-season games, I am still against firing Martz. Man, the offense is just. Hope they prove me wrong during the season.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Play calling: Horrible and conservative.

Scheme: Pound the rock. Throw some screens in there.

Philosophy: Hit em in the mouth. WTF is that supposed to mean? Who knows. But the result of that aimless philosophy is what we saw tonight.

Its the same old crap.

Go into a game with FEAR.

We are afraid to throw the ball because we are afraid of interceptions and turnovers. The other teams can smell this fear. The defensive opposition is filled with energy and aggression because they know that we are just going to run the ball, dink and dunk, and screen our way down the field. This fills them with confidence, and they just go out and play relaxed and aggressive.

This kind of conservative, "Don't make a mistake" philosophy, brings a certain attitude that says, "We don't trust our quarterback."
That type of attitude is not what playoff teams have.

"Ball control" teams rarely have success in this league.

Aggressive, attacking teams, who pass the ball have an opportunity to grow into a successful team.

Fearful, conservative teams rarely do.

Once we go into our two-minute drill, we start to move the football effectively. This is because the quarterback gets into a rhythm.

"Rhythm" does not exist with a conservative, "hit em in the mouth" philosophy.

All the hard work in the world will get destroyed by a talented aggressive team who spent half of training camp playing X-Box.

The hardest working team in the league is not the best team. That is bull$*%@.

So the question I have is; were they playing conservative because they did not want to tip their hand in preseason or is this how it is going t be? If it is the latter then it is going to be a long painful season

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Nate Davis and Sheets played ok. Nothing more, they weren't spectacular.

Nate missed on a few screens. He had that great throw for the TD.

I think today we saw the "real" Davis and that is a player who is going to be brought along.

-9fA

I thought sheets played pretty well. On the pick that davis underthrew to rentmeister kory sheets absoluetly lays out Eric Bakhtiari.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I have not liked the play calling this season.

Nor me but it is pre-season. No team opens up much of their playbook in PS.

I hope that is the case here.

Well other teams didn't open up much of their playbook and they scored a bunch of points on us. Oh yeah another thing to think about does Jimmy Raye has anything to open up on his playbook it seems all he got is run run run, screen ,and punt. I bet you guys will start calling on Sing and Rayes head midway through the season. What made our offense above average was because of Martz playcalling. Does anyone have a feeling that Jimmy Raye will be hostler 2.0. Sing is stupid on firing Martz and hiring that old b#stard Raye. Ugh another terrible season.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Play calling: Horrible and conservative.

Scheme: Pound the rock. Throw some screens in there.

Philosophy: Hit em in the mouth. WTF is that supposed to mean? Who knows. But the result of that aimless philosophy is what we saw tonight.

Its the same old crap.

Go into a game with FEAR.

We are afraid to throw the ball because we are afraid of interceptions and turnovers. The other teams can smell this fear. The defensive opposition is filled with energy and aggression because they know that we are just going to run the ball, dink and dunk, and screen our way down the field. This fills them with confidence, and they just go out and play relaxed and aggressive.

This kind of conservative, "Don't make a mistake" philosophy, brings a certain attitude that says, "We don't trust our quarterback."
That type of attitude is not what playoff teams have.

"Ball control" teams rarely have success in this league.

Aggressive, attacking teams, who pass the ball have an opportunity to grow into a successful team.

Fearful, conservative teams rarely do.

Once we go into our two-minute drill, we start to move the football effectively. This is because the quarterback gets into a rhythm.

"Rhythm" does not exist with a conservative, "hit em in the mouth" philosophy.

All the hard work in the world will get destroyed by a talented aggressive team who spent half of training camp playing X-Box.

The hardest working team in the league is not the best team. That is bull$*%@.

Bro; reread your post, remind you of anyone we all have known?

Nolan, I'm afraid ball control.

Let's all really, really, hope that the coaches were playing "vanilla" and didn't want to give away any of the over the top play calling coming up for the season.

Rah, rahhhh... go Niners! Where are the style points, where are the points, period?

Ok it was only preseason but, Cowgirls put up 35 today, Pack 47 the other day, lots of teams get points.. Where's ours?

Man, your post is depressing, but true, all the more depressing.

BTW - Deion can go run on freeway...
  • B650
  • Veteran
He has looked pathetic in the preseason, but, I think he'll be OK once the season starts. We'll see. I feel a lot better knowing that Nate Davis lurks on the bench. Also, Hill threw for 2,000+ yards last season in 9 games. If you change that into 16 games, you're looking at a 3,600 yard QB. Not bad. He deserves a chance to start. Off to the desert...
Originally posted by B650:
He has looked pathetic in the preseason, but, I think he'll be OK once the season starts. We'll see. I feel a lot better knowing that Nate Davis lurks on the bench. Also, Hill threw for 2,000+ yards last season in 9 games. If you change that into 16 games, you're looking at a 3,600 yard QB. Not bad. He deserves a chance to start. Off to the desert...

One word Mike Martz. On Jimmy Rayes offense the 3,600 hundred yards are just day dream he might not even finish as the 49ers QB at the end of the season.

[ Edited by nothing03 on Sep 4, 2009 at 23:57:53 ]
I still think that before long that Alex Smith is going to be our QB. Hill just can't throw the ball far enough to reach our deep receivers. I could be wrong but I am not ready for another losing season.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nothing03:

One word Mike Martz. On Jimmy Rayes offense the 3,600 hundred yards are just day dream he might not even finish as the 49ers QB at the end of the season.

True, but isn't this the same offense that even Alex Smith looked good in? We'll see.

True, but isn't this the same offense that even Alex Smith looked good in? We'll see.

Same offense different OC. One word norv turner. Turner is a great OC while jimmy raye is an old school pound until you punt a coach just like Singletary want.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Same offense different OC. One word norv turner. Turner is a great OC while jimmy raye is an old school pound until you punt a coach just like Singletary want.

That's two words, but I get your point.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Jason Hill was excellent, everyone else
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Jason Hill was excellent, everyone else

Davis looked good, too (considering he's a rookie).
Originally posted by papa9er:
I still think that before long that Alex Smith is going to be our QB. Hill just can't throw the ball far enough to reach our deep receivers. I could be wrong but I am not ready for another losing season.

He is a loser, sorry to say. If you think Hill can't move the ball wait till you see Smith in action. However; this is "dead horse" territory fer sure, blog wise.

I'll say it again; trade the rights to Ctree before the draft for a 2nd, if not LOW 1st (hate that sucka, this guy will be a MAJOR team cancer if he does sign, it's clear IMO) and get the BIG time QB, then let that rookie sit behind Davis. Ever hear of the Montana-Young duo? That's wot I'm talking about!

Then we still have high selections to get a pass rush and maybe a RT, coz lord knows, we need one.

And now people; Time for some football! Season starts for real next time up..

NINERS!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone