There are 220 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nate Davis and Sheets played ok. Nothing more, they weren't spectacular.

Nate missed on a few screens. He had that great throw for the TD.

I think today we saw the "real" Davis and that is a player who is going to be brought along.

-9fA
  • dj43
This is what happens when one of the five best teams in the league plays a team that will have to get some breaks to win 7 games.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
This is what happens when one of the five best teams in the league plays a team that will have to get some breaks to win 7 games.

And that's with, Rivers, LT, Sproles, Gates, Chambers, V. Jackson NOT playing.
Offense? Do we have an offense?
Hill is not the answer
  • dj43
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by dj43:

And that's with, Rivers, LT, Sproles, Gates, Chambers, V. Jackson NOT playing.

San Diego demonstrated in the first series why an offense with a QB that cannot throw the long ball will always struggle. Hill can't throw deep and SD loaded up the underneath stuff and the offense never got going. SD, OTOH, threw deep successfully with no problem.

I have no illusions the 49ers will compete against teams like the Chargers. There is a huge gap on both sides of the ball.
I'm going to reserve judgment on Shaun Hill until the regular season begins. We all know that he is a mediocre to below average preseason QB. However, he has played well in back to back seasons, and his QB rating was 12th in the NFL last season, at 87.5.

If he does not play well in the regular season, then we have a real story. However, until then, regardless of how he performed in a series of meaningless preseason games, I am not going to be concerned.
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
Hill is not the answer

We knew that before the season started. Everybody in the league knew the 49ers needed a better QB than Shaun Hill. I love his guts and moxie but he is not a first string QB in this league.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Fail.

At first glance, seemingly so.

But there is some good.

Obviously Nate shows some good things. Flashes, that is. He's not amazing yet. I think he's a fantastic prospect, and still feel we landed a steal, but he's got a ways to go. Pure talent though, he's up there.

Briggs should seriously be a practice squad guy. I want to develop this guy.

Not surprising: Still no pressure from the front four.
Tonight's game showed how far behind the 49ers are behind the league's elite. SD's backups were easily dominating the 49ers starters. This offense is downright abysmal. Jimmy Raye and Shaun Hill are Jim Hosteler and Trent Dilfer all over again. Doesn't matter how much you want to run the ball. In every game you are going to have situations where you need to complete a forward pass. The best this team can do with Hill throwing it and Raye calling the plays is a screen or swing pass. Another year of rebuilding and here we are heading into another disastrous season.

• dj43
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
Tonight's game showed how far behind the 49ers are behind the league's elite. SD's backups were easily dominating the 49ers starters. This offense is downright abysmal. Jimmy Raye and Shaun Hill are Jim Hosteler and Trent Dilfer all over again. Doesn't matter how much you want to run the ball. In every game you are going to have situations where you need to complete a forward pass. The best this team can do with Hill throwing it and Raye calling the plays is a screen or swing pass. Another year of rebuilding and here we are heading into another disastrous season.

...and people still think I am wrong about Crabtree holding out in part because this team doesn't WANT to throw the ball and the starting QB CAN'T throw the ball.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I'm going to reserve judgment on Shaun Hill until the regular season begins. We all know that he is a mediocre to below average preseason QB. However, he has played well in back to back seasons, and his QB rating was 12th in the NFL last season, at 87.5.

If he does not play well in the regular season, then we have a real story. However, until then, regardless of how he performed in a series of meaningless preseason games, I am not going to be concerned.

MadDog is right on this one. We'll just have to wait and see.
Anemic.
I have not liked the play calling this season.
  • dj43
Originally posted by teeohh:
I have not liked the play calling this season.

Nor me but it is pre-season. No team opens up much of their playbook in PS.

I hope that is the case here.
Share 49ersWebzone