There are 130 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Singletary, post-game press conference 10.4:

“I just wanted our guys to remind ourselves of… this is our house. We want to set the tempo. We don’t want any team coming in here setting the tempo. We want to set the tempo. And we were not doing that.”

Jimmy Raye, talking to the press 10.1:

“We will take advantage of the opportunities that the defense presents us within the realm and scope of what it is as the game unfolds.”
…“It’s a defense that dictates that. How they intend to defend us will dictate more of how we change than the fact that it’s Coffee in there…”

So, what's it gonna be...are we going to react to the defense (Raye), or dictate the tempo (Singletary)?
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
Glen Coffee showed me something today... that he sucks. Zero tackle breaking ability, zero burst. I pray Frank is OK.
yetiman:

ur anaylsis doesn't make sense. they mean different things.

[ Edited by WestCoast on Oct 4, 2009 at 20:32:14 ]
Originally posted by A-R-S:
Glen Coffee showed me something today... that he sucks. Zero tackle breaking ability, zero burst. I pray Frank is OK.

well he is a rookie. I would like to see the oline learn how to block first. the interior penetration was ridiculous. Our oline played really bad it was making me so damn mad.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by Dajanksta:

well he is a rookie. I would like to see the oline learn how to block first. the interior penetration was ridiculous. Our oline played really bad it was making me so damn mad.

When do we get to talk about coaching, or the lack there of?

Did our coaches, given the recent play from our O-Line, put Coffee, a rookie in a position to succeed? I really dont think so.

[ Edited by Mex49 on Oct 4, 2009 at 20:58:38 ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
OL play is a complex deal. The key is to have five guys who play well together, and in a way where each knows what the other will do, or where they need help.

Problems start to happen when on guy is struggling and the guys beside him have to help out. If an OT is struggling, a guard must help plus an TE, or else just force very thing wide. The latter can work well.

The worst problem is when the interior is stuggling, and the worst part of that is when the guards struggle, and that is what we saw today. In fact, both guards struggled, and that put a ton of pressure on Heitmann, who had to help first one and then the other guard. The Rams frequently attacked the guard, which forced Heitmann to help and then the Rams sent a guy looping through the center spot Heitmann vacated to help Baas (usually).

Baas has never lived up to this selection number. He is almost worthless as a pulling guard. He is so slow getting out of his slot that a linebacker frequently runs through his whole and gets to the back before the back can get outside. He NEVER seems to get upfield to the second level. He just isn't very good. Let's hope he gets healthier. I'm not expecting much as he has never demonstrated starting quality play. With his contract up this year, I don't see the team re-signing him.

Rachal had a terrible game today. He was getting blown backward much of the time. That was a little surprising because he had seemed to have better strength. He is still pretty green so hopefully he will improve as the season goes on. Let's hope so. Atlanta must be licking their chops.

Coffee ran about as well as he could consider he rarely had any place to go. I doubt Gore would have done any better today than Coffee. Remember, other than two long runs, Gore hasn't had any big numbers either.

It was ugly but it was a W.
Raye's playcalling has been very vanilla and predictable although once a game he calls a fairly creative. Yes the O-Line has played poorly, but that goes on Raye as well, go to 3 step drops when he are passing and we have to be more creative when and where we run the ball. to me when it is 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 1, you throw the ball!
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Raye's playcalling has been very vanilla and predictable although once a game he calls a fairly creative. Yes the O-Line has played poorly, but that goes on Raye as well, go to 3 step drops when he are passing and we have to be more creative when and where we run the ball. to me when it is 2nd and 2 or 2nd and 1, you throw the ball!

Hill tried a couple of three-step drops and the ball was knocked down. Rachal was getting pushed back so badly Hill had to drop back five steps to have anytime at all.

I don't think he sucks.... He did fine this week....most of the time falling forward and he had one long run...and couple of nice medium runs......but more importantly, for his well being, held on to the ball today.....

but I LOVE his improvement in pass protection....in preseason Coffee and Robinson really had me worried with a couple of miffed blocks....

oh I forgot....me might need to take him out of 3rd downs...he has dropped too many passes.....maybe give him one more chance this week....but those were 1st down converting pass he dropped.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Get this back on page one instead of the Seattle game.

In reviewing, it was obvious the run game picked up once Hill started to throw the ball down the field.

Hello? Is that you, Jimmy?
Coffee will improve. Raye is doing a better job each week IMHO as is the rest of the offense except that O-line
Originally posted by dj43:
OL play is a complex deal. The key is to have five guys who play well together, and in a way where each knows what the other will do, or where they need help.

Problems start to happen when on guy is struggling and the guys beside him have to help out. If an OT is struggling, a guard must help plus an TE, or else just force very thing wide. The latter can work well.

The worst problem is when the interior is stuggling, and the worst part of that is when the guards struggle, and that is what we saw today. In fact, both guards struggled, and that put a ton of pressure on Heitmann, who had to help first one and then the other guard. The Rams frequently attacked the guard, which forced Heitmann to help and then the Rams sent a guy looping through the center spot Heitmann vacated to help Baas (usually).

Baas has never lived up to this selection number. He is almost worthless as a pulling guard. He is so slow getting out of his slot that a linebacker frequently runs through his whole and gets to the back before the back can get outside. He NEVER seems to get upfield to the second level. He just isn't very good. Let's hope he gets healthier. I'm not expecting much as he has never demonstrated starting quality play. With his contract up this year, I don't see the team re-signing him.

Rachal had a terrible game today. He was getting blown backward much of the time. That was a little surprising because he had seemed to have better strength. He is still pretty green so hopefully he will improve as the season goes on. Let's hope so. Atlanta must be licking their chops.

Coffee ran about as well as he could consider he rarely had any place to go. I doubt Gore would have done any better today than Coffee. Remember, other than two long runs, Gore hasn't had any big numbers either.

It was ugly but it was a W.

I agree about Rachal - totally salvageable but I have not faith in Forester that he's the guy to teach/develop Rachal.

Baas is a different story altogether. Baas needs to be BENCHED - it's just that simple. Wragge isn't that much better but at least you know Wragge can runblock adequately well. We really need to consider grabbing a FA guard of waivers and bench, deactivate Baas. Your analysis is what I stated in another thread that if the interior is struggling, the tackles have no chance and Hill will not be able to step up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush.

Forester has to fix this. He needs to help Raye scheme better so we help the guards.

However it's plainly clear that they need even more beef up front for the running game and we need to consider another OG/TE to help block because this crew isn't getting it done. You can't continue to have 3 offensive possessions with no points. You give the Falcons or any decent team that many opportunities and they will score eventually.

I just hope there's some realistic thinking/observations going on with the coaches.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hklar17:
Coffee will improve. Raye is doing a better job each week IMHO as is the rest of the offense except that O-line

Rachal had his worst game of the season yesterday. He just stunk. However, he is really in his rookie season as he came out early, only started in the second half of last year. He can be expected to have some off games, although yesterday was really off!

Now Baas, OTOH, continues to struggle. I would like to think he has a future with the team but he has not shown it. His lack of performance is putting pressure on Heitmann to help him and that weakens the entire middle of the line.

Let's hope yesterday was a bit of an off day after the Minne game, and these guys will rebound next week. If not, it may be a long day.