LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 293 users in the forums

Offensive post-game analysis (week 4)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Still not crazy about Jimmy Raye's playcalling and the O-Line still isn't playing very well. Im really dissapointed with Chilo Rachal.

Agreed

I thought Coffee played pretty solid considering he did not have much running room for most of the game.

Agreed

Morgan dropped a TD pass but made a nice TD catch and overall played pretty well. Vernon Davis had a good game but he should be getting the ball thrown to him more, IMO.

They need to throw to Vernon all the time.

Delaine Walker...Good things happen when he touches the football.

Agreed
Issac Bruce is washed up.

Perhaps

Where was Brandon Jones? Were going to need him and Jason Hill to make plays for us the 2nd half of the season, IMO.

For the money Jones is getting paid, he needs to be on the field making plays

Shuan Hill played pretty good, not pretty but efficient as usual.

For a team that runs a lot of screens we sure can't run them very well.

I blame the poor play of the O-Line

[ Edited by King49er on Oct 4, 2009 at 17:32:06 ]
Originally posted by Method:
Horrid offensive showing today. Passing, running, everything was just f**king putrid. One dropped ball wouldn't have changed my opinion.

I agree.

Alot of people want to blame the playcalling - but I think the playcalling fits what we have - we're not a very good offensive football team and the idea seems to be to have the defense win the games.

We're only successful with the run in spurts. We can't run at will and we can't seem to build a sustainable momentum with the run. Gore has two big runs on the season and beyond that, the team's rushing output is dismal.

Shaun Hill is a gamer a good leader and he fits into the game plan - but he's not a very good quarterback. He's not all that accurate, he doesn't have great vision or awareness and he throws an ugly football. But he manages the game well, generally only throwing the ball to the backs or tight ends or to wide receivers who are wide open. He knows his limitations and seems to be content with not turning the ball over most of the time.

Our offensive line hasn't played particularly well in either facet. I think they may have the physical tools to be a strong unit, but they make too many mental mistakes and get beaten for sacks or losses too often.

With a mediocre running game and a limited passing attack - why should we expect our offensive playcalling to be anything different than the conservative, run out the clock, protect the football and let the defense make plays variety that we've seen so far?
Better playcalling this week overall. Wish he would keep Vernon involved more thru the whole game.
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by GEEK:
They need to think about benching Baas or Rachal for Wragge. They both have been awful at their respective positions.

The writing is on the wall for Baas, who needs to step up his game or the Niners will let him walk.

Rachal takes so many bad angles, and is getting beat way too many times by the undertackle. Maybe the better option is to slide him over to the LG position, and have him take on the NT more often.

I agree Baas looked awful today. I'm kinda disappointed in Rachal too. Hey Maddog can the struggles of the o-line in the running game be partially blamed to the switching to a zone blocking scheme? It just seems like we were running the ball alot better in years past even against 8 and 9 men fronts.

There are a combination of factors that is hurting the Niners' running game:
1) Teams are stacking a lot of bodies at the line of scrimmage, and running LB's off the edge. Even on some run plays up the middle, these LB's are tackling our guys behind the LOS. Backside run blocking support is one reason the Niners send a WR to block off the edge.

2) Baas did not get many reps in the offseason, and simply is not good enough to start in NFL. He should be a reserve.

3) There is still instability at RT. The Niners brought in M.Smith, which didn't work out, Snyder is not a starting quality RT, and Pashos is trying to pick up speed.

4) Rachal is inconsistent.

So, we are back to where we were at the end of 2008, with a solid LT and solid center. I advocated for the team to look at offensive line with their third rounder, but the team wanted a backup running back.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Method:
Horrid offensive showing today. Passing, running, everything was just f**king putrid. One dropped ball wouldn't have changed my opinion.

Reading this would make you think our offense turned the ball over three times today. lol The offense will be right back on schedule when Gore returns after the bye.
1) Oline was D+

2) Hill is still aweful compared to Smith and Daivs

3) Our offense is so predictable on 1st down
3rd Down Issues

Clearly the offense couldn't get into a flow today. But when reviewing 3rd downs, yes third and long is an issue, but the play calling doesn't seem to be the issue. The bigger issue is just the erratic play of the offense on 3rd down -- particularly the OL. There was way too much DL penetration and disruption of plays -- 3 sacks says it all. It MAY NOT all be on the players, it could also be the OL protection schemes, but it certainly looked like guys were just getting straight up beat by the opposing DL. IMH, there weren't a lot of stunts and blitzes, it was a lot of power rushes by DL getting penetration.

Stats.
14 Third Downs today - 6 converted (if you count PI penalties) = 40%
8.36 yard average needed to convert
Converted 4 -- all with passes (30% convertion rate)
"Converted" 2 on PI calls (where the pass was incomplete and didn't appear catchable)
3 other incompletions on 3rd down
3 sacks on 3rd down (on 3rd and 7, 11, and 6)
2 completions short of the 1st down

3rd down situations
2 needed 4 yrds or less (converted 2 - both by pass)
4 needed 6 yrds or less (converted 2 -- one by pass, 1 by PI penalty)
4 needed 7 - 10 yrds (converted 2 -- one by pass, 1 by PI penalty)
3 needed more than 10 yards (converted 1 by pass)
1 needed 21 yrds (did not convert)

TO BE FAIR -- On 22 second down plays, 49ers converted 4 more to 1st downs (3 by runs and 1 by penalty); and scored 2 TDs from second downs.

[ Edited by HearstFan on Oct 4, 2009 at 19:06:01 ]
I've come to the final conclusion after watching this team for 4 weeks that the problem is not Hill, it is not Raye, it is the offensive line. I thought Raye called a much better game today.

I know that this has been harped on already in this thread, and justifiably so. Rachal is constantly beat in pass protection and his run blocking is not good enough to give him a pass at all. He has been very disappointing.

Bass sucks, no way around this. Nothing much left to say.

Staley has been disappointing the past two weeks. I thought he had a very good first two games, especially in pass protection. But he was chewed up by Allen in the MIN game, in pass pro and in run blocking, and did not look good today. Would like to see more consistency from a guy we just gave a long deal to.

I thought Pashos was decent, but I'm not expecting much from the RT spot anyway.

Offensive line has to be the #1 target in the next draft. We did not address it at all last year. We will rue the day of not taking Michael Oher at number 10 this year. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the #3 OT in all of football after the first 3 games.
One of my favorite situations since I couldn't be there...

Vernon Davis over James Lauranaitis for the score!

Originally posted by 49erman5692:
1) Oline was D+

2) Hill is still aweful compared to Smith and Daivs

3) Our offense is so predictable on 1st down

the niners offense is koo but we cant move the ball at all we get lucky sometimes but we need to pick it up or change somthing cuz the falcons we tear us up and coffee is trash so is baas
  • dj43
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by taney71:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by taney71:
I'll say I am not a fan of the play of the 9ers oline. They are not good right now. But Raye needs to help out. Run, screen pass, run isn't going to get it done in the NFL.

We're still giving up quite a lot of sacks. We gave up 4 sacks again today. It is due to a combination of poor line play and Hill holding on too long but you're right, the line does need to improve.

I thought Coffee looked like a rookie out there as well. I was hoping for more.

-9fA

Yeah our O-line needs really step up thier game. Raye called a very good game and Hill should have stepped up in the pocket a couple times but our Oline is garbage besides Staley and Rachal. Heitmann got owned almost every play today.

Did you guys see the pass rush the Rams got up the middle at times? What was up with that? Seriously they need to protect Hill or Alex Smith goes in ASAP.

Heitmann and Baas played like ass is what happened. We will need to throw Wragge and will in if this keeps up.
You and I watched a rather different game.

If Baas still has an ankle injury, then he shouldn't be playing. If he is healthy, then he still shouldn't be playing. He reacts slowly, reads slowly, pulls slowly. He just is not getting the job done.

Rachal just simply was over-powered much of the game. This was the poorest game I have seen him play since he has been here.

Heitmann was having to jump back and forth to cover for the two guards. He actually played pretty well considering the DTs were slanting off the guards and hitting Heitmann from an angle much of the time.

If the 49ers intend to continue trying to run up the middle, they must get better play from the guards.
RUN BREAKDOWN -- There has been a lot of criticism about the "runs up the middle." Well, it bares out in the stats too. But the 9ers didn't fair any better running at the perimeters either.

57 total plays
29 rushing plays
28 passing
50/50 play calling balance

Of 23 first downs, 17 were rushes, 6 passes = 70/30 run to pass
Of 22 second downs, 11 were rushes, 11 passes = 50/50
Of 15 third downs, 1 was a kneel down = 100% passes

3.6 yrd average (when not counting the kneel downs at the end)
3 run plays went for -5 yards
2 plays went for 0 yrds
7 plays went for 2 yrds or less
6 plays went for 3 yrds
3 plays went for 4 yrds
2 plays went for 5 yrds
1 for 8 yrds
1 for 9 yrds
1 for 16 yrds (D Walker end around)
1 for 17 yrds (Coffee up the middle in 4th Quarter)
2 kneel downs for -1 yrd each
The mean play went for LESS THAN 3 yds (Meaning more plays went for less than 3 yrds than more than 3 yards) (Not counting the kneel downs)

Running preference
Up the middle behind center = 15 of 29 running plays (50%)
Right guard = 2 of 29
Left Guard = 2 of 29
Right tackle = 3 of 29
Left Tackle = 1 of 29
Right End = 1 of 29
Left End = 3 of 29
2 kneel downs

19 of 29 runs to the middle of the line (LG, C, RG) = 70% interior runs
4 of 29 runs behind tackles = 10%
4 of 29 end runs = 10%

The run plays were so heavily run to the middle of the line, there was almost no preference for running right or left.
6 plays to the right side (RG, RT, RE)
6 plays to the left side (LG, LT, LE)
Originally posted by Schulzy:
I've come to the final conclusion after watching this team for 4 weeks that the problem is not Hill, it is not Raye, it is the offensive line. I thought Raye called a much better game today.

I know that this has been harped on already in this thread, and justifiably so. Rachal is constantly beat in pass protection and his run blocking is not good enough to give him a pass at all. He has been very disappointing.

Bass sucks, no way around this. Nothing much left to say.

Staley has been disappointing the past two weeks. I thought he had a very good first two games, especially in pass protection. But he was chewed up by Allen in the MIN game, in pass pro and in run blocking, and did not look good today. Would like to see more consistency from a guy we just gave a long deal to.

I thought Pashos was decent, but I'm not expecting much from the RT spot anyway.

Offensive line has to be the #1 target in the next draft. We did not address it at all last year. We will rue the day of not taking Michael Oher at number 10 this year. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the #3 OT in all of football after the first 3 games.

I agree!
Singletary, post-game press conference 10.4:

“I just wanted our guys to remind ourselves of… this is our house. We want to set the tempo. We don’t want any team coming in here setting the tempo. We want to set the tempo. And we were not doing that.”

Jimmy Raye, talking to the press 10.1:

“We will take advantage of the opportunities that the defense presents us within the realm and scope of what it is as the game unfolds.”
…“It’s a defense that dictates that. How they intend to defend us will dictate more of how we change than the fact that it’s Coffee in there…”

So, what's it gonna be...are we going to react to the defense (Raye), or dictate the tempo (Singletary)?
Share 49ersWebzone