Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TheChosenOne:
Originally posted by KNRO1670:
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Does anyone else think that MadDog is on Eugene Parker and Crabtree's payroll? I've not seen anyone else defend him on these message boards. Perhaps they're trying to cast Crabtree in a positive light and make the Niners front office look like the villains here. I've not seen anything other than pro-Crabtree/Parker propaganda spewing from MadDog this past month or two.

NO MadDog is a Crabtrees advisor.

And Cousin

Cousin?

[img=]

Calling members out with the intention to incite will not be tolerated. Final warning. Back to topic or leave the thread. Thanks.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Furious response in 5,4,3,2,1...go!

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

I see what you're saying but there was a reason teams passed on him. Whether it was because of his foot or him being immature and a drama queen. If all the teams knew he was that damn good they would've drafted him higher but he wasn't. He needs to know this is how the draft works, you're drafted where you are and that's that. Yes he's a hell of a WR and has a load of talent and he needs to prove that on the field instead of holding out for more money. Prove you're worth the s**t load of money on the field first.

Couple notes: The "drama queen" or "diva" comment came from Eric Mangini, who is a tool. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach came right out and tore the Browns apart for this characterization. It may be true, or false, but it simply their perspective. However, people have tended to latch onto this characterization as if came from the mouth of Jesus, not one of the least liked people in the NFL.

As for proving you're worth the money, that is not how the current rookie salary structure works. None of the rookies have proven anything, so you would have to punish the entire rookie class with that statement.

Almost nobody on the planet could perceive Crabtree dropping to ten back in February. And, he probably wouldn't have dropped if not for a temp injury. So, to me, I think he's got a case to say, "Look, this thing is healed, I am the same player that everyone was hyped about and projected in the top 5 picks, and I am worth more than the 10th overall selection."

Hey MadDog explain to me what happened to Brady Quinn couple years bk when he fell out of the top ten almost to 22nd if my mind serves correct...? Why didn't he cry wolf like craptree is doing...?

Brady had every opportunity to impress scouts, coaches, GM's in workouts. Crabtree was not given that opportunity.

In other words, Brady blew his chance. Crabtree never had a chance.

That is the big difference.

but it wasn't like no one allowed Crabtree to work out. He had an injury. Them's the breaks. It's unfortunate, and I understand Crabtree being upset, but an awful lot of players are drafted lower than their real-world value because of concerns about injuries. It seems to me that the best thing to do is to go play football and prove those people wrong.

I don't see the drop over the concern about injuries, but rather they did not have a chance to see him work out, which makes teams hesitant with high first rounders. The foot does not seem to be a risky issue for teams, to my knowledge.

maybe, but the injured foot and the inability to work out are intertwined, are they not? the injury causes him not to work out, causes teams to be hesitant because they haven't run their "tests" on him, so they pass on him, etc. It might not have been "oh, he's injured, screw that, we're not drafting him," but it also wasn't like they said, "Sorry Michael, we're not going to watch you work out for no good reason."

All I'm saying is that some of why he dropped was clearly out of his control, as well as that of the teams, and not all that unique.

[ Edited by HessianDud on Sep 8, 2009 at 15:08:28 ]
something is brewing, i can feel it in my man parts, could it be crabs?
  • kw49
  • Veteran
Does anyone else think that MadDog is on Eugene Parker and Crabtree's payroll? I've not seen anyone else defend him on these message boards. Perhaps they're trying to cast Crabtree in a positive light and make the Niners front office look like the villains here. I've not seen anything other than pro-Crabtree/Parker propaganda spewing from MadDog this past month or two.

And Cousin

Cousin?

[img=]

See, $hit like this is why you should always wash your hands after touching money.
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

I see what you're saying but there was a reason teams passed on him. Whether it was because of his foot or him being immature and a drama queen. If all the teams knew he was that damn good they would've drafted him higher but he wasn't. He needs to know this is how the draft works, you're drafted where you are and that's that. Yes he's a hell of a WR and has a load of talent and he needs to prove that on the field instead of holding out for more money. Prove you're worth the s**t load of money on the field first.

Couple notes: The "drama queen" or "diva" comment came from Eric Mangini, who is a tool. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach came right out and tore the Browns apart for this characterization. It may be true, or false, but it simply their perspective. However, people have tended to latch onto this characterization as if came from the mouth of Jesus, not one of the least liked people in the NFL.

As for proving you're worth the money, that is not how the current rookie salary structure works. None of the rookies have proven anything, so you would have to punish the entire rookie class with that statement.

Almost nobody on the planet could perceive Crabtree dropping to ten back in February. And, he probably wouldn't have dropped if not for a temp injury. So, to me, I think he's got a case to say, "Look, this thing is healed, I am the same player that everyone was hyped about and projected in the top 5 picks, and I am worth more than the 10th overall selection."

Hey MadDog explain to me what happened to Brady Quinn couple years bk when he fell out of the top ten almost to 22nd if my mind serves correct...? Why didn't he cry wolf like craptree is doing...?

Brady had every opportunity to impress scouts, coaches, GM's in workouts. Crabtree was not given that opportunity.

but it wasn't like no one allowed Crabtree to work out. He had an injury. Them's the breaks. It's unfortunate, and I understand Crabtree being upset, but an awful lot of players are drafted lower than their real-world value because of concerns about injuries. It seems to me that the best thing to do is to go play football and prove those people wrong.

I don't see the drop over the concern about injuries, but rather they did not have a chance to see him work out, which makes teams hesitant with high first rounders. The foot does not seem to be a risky issue for teams, to my knowledge.

maybe, but the injured foot and the inability to work out are intertwined, are they not? the injury causes him not to work out, causes teams to be hesitant because they haven't run their "tests" on him, so they pass on him, etc. It might not have been "oh, he's injured, screw that, we're not drafting him," but it also wasn't like they said, "Sorry Michael, we're not going to watch you work out for no good reason."

All I'm saying is that some of why he dropped was clearly out of his control, as well as that of the teams, and not all that unique.

he needs to prove his worth on the field. Sign the contract which is a fair offer and prove it on the field. I think the offer they proposed to Crabtree is if he gets as many catches in the first two years as rice did then the guaranteed money would increase. If he's that damn good(which i think he can be) then he'd sign the deal, do work on the field and get paid like the best WR.

It shouldn't be this complicated
Originally posted by valrod33:

now I REALLY don't want your eyebrows!
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Both sources believe that Crabtree has been told by other teams that they will take him in the first round of next year’s draft.

Come on Goodell grow a pair and investigate

That definitely sounds fishy.

And to think we could hope every NFL team could hold off on drafting Crabs until after the first round next year to teach this guy a lesson. It would also set an example to other future draftees with big ego's who might try to play this re-enter the draft card for more leverage and money.
Originally posted by Ang:

And Cousin

Cousin?

[img=]

Calling members out with the intention to incite will not be tolerated. Final warning. Back to topic or leave the thread. Thanks.

Come on..I love MadDog. He brings valid points which I happen to disagree with.

now I REALLY don't want your eyebrows!

Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
Both sources believe that Crabtree has been told by other teams that they will take him in the first round of next year’s draft.

Come on Goodell grow a pair and investigate

That definitely sounds fishy.

And to think we could hope every NFL team could hold off on drafting Crabs until after the first round next year to teach this guy a lesson. It would also set an example to other future draftees with big ego's who might try to play this re-enter the draft card for more leverage and money.

That, while deserving, would never happen.

I would beg to differ over the uniqueness of a top prospect not being able to work out, and in the meantime, a far less-productive and much lower-graded prospect leapfrogs him to be the first WR taken.

I've always say that I cannot understand how DHB can receive that ridiculous salary and Crabtree is stuck with something so outrageously lower by simply bowing to the "slot gods". I think he's got a good case to receive compensation commiserate with DHB's contract, either in guaranteed money or total money.
  • KNRO1670
  • Info N/A

I would beg to differ over the uniqueness of a top prospect not being able to work out, and in the meantime, a far less-productive and much lower-graded prospect leapfrogs him to be the first WR taken.

I've always say that I cannot understand how DHB can receive that ridiculous salary and Crabtree is stuck with something so outrageously lower by simply bowing to the "slot gods". I think he's got a good case to receive compensation commiserate with DHB's contract, either in guaranteed money or total money.

I agree about the ridiculousness of DHB's contract, and think that very much affects the negotiations.

However, as has been stated a million times in this thread, I'm sure, the Raiders made a choice, as did the other 9 teams, and Crabtree wasn't it. No matter what the reasons, that's how it works. Everyone thought Crabs would be drafted higher, but he wasn't, and he should get over it.
  • rum53
  • Veteran

The situation boils down to bad luck. Crabtree was a top talent until he had unfortunate luck - a broken foot. Because of his bad luck, the market (i.e. the NFL draft) set his value at the number 10 pick.

The 49ers paid the price of a #10 draft pick for the rights of Crabtree. In doing so, the 49ers set value set his value since the NFL draft is essentially a free market. If a team valued Crabtree as a top 3 pick, they would have hit the jackpot by trading up and drafting him at picks 4 thru 9. Unfortunately for Crabtree, no team traded up for him.

The 49ers have every right to offer Crabtree #10 money because that is the price that they agreed to pay him by drafting him with the 10th pick. Just as important, they cannot give into Crabtree's unrealistic demands because they will set themselves up for future holdouts.

I understand that Crabtree's bad luck cost him millions of dollars. Unfortunately, the situation is what it is. He is the #10 draft pick whether he likes it or not. Crabtree really only has two options - signing for #10 money or holding out till next years draft.

Most NFL pundits agree that holding out for next year is a risky endeavor. He'll be walking away from a guaranteed $16-$20mil (depending on on the actual offer) in doing so. In sitting out the 2009 season, Crabtree is betting $16mil that he will be drafted higher than 10.

There is some truth to the saying "out of sight out of mind". The college season is in full swing and there are already several highly touted WR's putting up big numbers while Crabtree is sitting at home out of the sight and out of mind. Also, the holdout gives the impression that Crabtree is a potential character risk. All in all, there is absolutely no guarantee that he'll be drafted in the top 10 of the 2010 draft.

IMHO, Crabtree has already made a big mistake and is on the verge of making a fatal mistake. He has already wasted his rookie season. With each passing day he alienates both his teammates and coaches a little bit more. He will not be a top 5 pick or even a top 10 pick in the 2010 draft. His only "rational" option is to sign the offer and join the team ASAP.

I agree about the ridiculousness of DHB's contract, and think that very much affects the negotiations.

However, as has been stated a million times in this thread, I'm sure, the Raiders made a choice, as did the other 9 teams, and Crabtree wasn't it. No matter what the reasons, that's how it works. Everyone thought Crabs would be drafted higher, but he wasn't, and he should get over it.

By this very arguement Beanie wells could have holded out because he believes he was the best running back in the draft and should be paid likewise. Yes he has a right to but it still doesn't make him any smarter.
Share 49ersWebzone