There are 248 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • TheChosenOne
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Furious response in 5,4,3,2,1...go!

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

I see what you're saying but there was a reason teams passed on him. Whether it was because of his foot or him being immature and a drama queen. If all the teams knew he was that damn good they would've drafted him higher but he wasn't. He needs to know this is how the draft works, you're drafted where you are and that's that. Yes he's a hell of a WR and has a load of talent and he needs to prove that on the field instead of holding out for more money. Prove you're worth the s**t load of money on the field first.

Couple notes: The "drama queen" or "diva" comment came from Eric Mangini, who is a tool. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach came right out and tore the Browns apart for this characterization. It may be true, or false, but it simply their perspective. However, people have tended to latch onto this characterization as if came from the mouth of Jesus, not one of the least liked people in the NFL.

As for proving you're worth the money, that is not how the current rookie salary structure works. None of the rookies have proven anything, so you would have to punish the entire rookie class with that statement.

Almost nobody on the planet could perceive Crabtree dropping to ten back in February. And, he probably wouldn't have dropped if not for a temp injury. So, to me, I think he's got a case to say, "Look, this thing is healed, I am the same player that everyone was hyped about and projected in the top 5 picks, and I am worth more than the 10th overall selection."

Hey MadDog explain to me what happened to Brady Quinn couple years bk when he fell out of the top ten almost to 22nd if my mind serves correct...? Why didn't he cry wolf like craptree is doing...?
Originally posted by dirtysouthniner:
Originally posted by Psinex:
Does anyone else think that MadDog is on Eugene Parker and Crabtree's payroll? I've not seen anyone else defend him on these message boards. Perhaps they're trying to cast Crabtree in a positive light and make the Niners front office look like the villains here. I've not seen anything other than pro-Crabtree/Parker propaganda spewing from MadDog this past month or two.

NO MadDog is a Crabtrees advisor.

And Cousin
Originally posted by TheChosenOne:
Does anyone honestly (be honest now) believe that he would be thrilled to sign a 10th overall slotted contract, and would do so? Especially after seeing a temporary injury push him down the board, and get passed by DHB.

This contract problem was obvious a long time ago, so I don't see why people are so upset to this date. This is not a normal 10th overall selection, it surely wasn't on draft day, and it won't magically become one just because we want it to.

The Niners are going to have to craft a creative contract to get this done, and if not, I think he simply walks away.

P.S. Once again, I don't understand the anger. I think if you put yourself in Crabtree's shoes as one of the dominant players entering the draft, seeing your stock drop due to a temporary injury, personally knowing that you should have been the first WR picked if not for that temporary injury, see that player who undeservedly jump you receive a massively overinflated salary, only to see him stink it up in camps and preseason games, hear of interest from other teams who are willing to throw down big money on you, and are interested in you as their first rounder next year, and think that you can prove the doubters wrong....why would you want to sign a fully-slotted 10th overall contract.

People are way too overemotional. He simply thinks he deserves better, and I believe he has a good case.

Wait, one final note: If Crabtree was willing to sign for one dollar less than DHB before Monroe and Raji signed, the Niners were the ones who screwed up. The 8th and 9th slots were not closed until late in the negotiation game. The Niners could have not "broken the slot" if they gave Crabtree one less dollar than DHB. Of course, we will never know what each side offered, if Crabtree wanted more, if the Niners offered something more than now before Monroe and Raji signed, etc.

I see what you're saying but there was a reason teams passed on him. Whether it was because of his foot or him being immature and a drama queen. If all the teams knew he was that damn good they would've drafted him higher but he wasn't. He needs to know this is how the draft works, you're drafted where you are and that's that. Yes he's a hell of a WR and has a load of talent and he needs to prove that on the field instead of holding out for more money. Prove you're worth the s**t load of money on the field first.

Couple notes: The "drama queen" or "diva" comment came from Eric Mangini, who is a tool. Texas Tech coach Mike Leach came right out and tore the Browns apart for this characterization. It may be true, or false, but it simply their perspective. However, people have tended to latch onto this characterization as if came from the mouth of Jesus, not one of the least liked people in the NFL.

As for proving you're worth the money, that is not how the current rookie salary structure works. None of the rookies have proven anything, so you would have to punish the entire rookie class with that statement.

Almost nobody on the planet could perceive Crabtree dropping to ten back in February. And, he probably wouldn't have dropped if not for a temp injury. So, to me, I think he's got a case to say, "Look, this thing is healed, I am the same player that everyone was hyped about and projected in the top 5 picks, and I am worth more than the 10th overall selection."

Hey MadDog explain to me what happened to Brady Quinn couple years bk when he fell out of the top ten almost to 22nd if my mind serves correct...? Why didn't he cry wolf like craptree is doing...?

Brady had every opportunity to impress scouts, coaches, GM's in workouts. Crabtree was not given that opportunity.

In other words, Brady blew his chance. Crabtree never had a chance.

That is the big difference.
  • KNRO1670
  • Info N/A
Does anyone else think that MadDog is on Eugene Parker and Crabtree's payroll? I've not seen anyone else defend him on these message boards. Perhaps they're trying to cast Crabtree in a positive light and make the Niners front office look like the villains here. I've not seen anything other than pro-Crabtree/Parker propaganda spewing from MadDog this past month or two.

And Cousin

Cousin?

[img=]

Originally posted by PTulini:
Colts GM Bill Polian was just interviewed on NFL Network. He was asked about his take on the 49ers and Michael Crabtree situation. Did anyone watch it?

Bill Polian said he is very suprised that Crabtree's holdout has gone on for this long. It is not in Crabtree's best interest to sit out. Also, Polian says he cannot speak for the 49ers because he is not in their situation, but (in his opinion) Coach Singletary and the 49ers Front Office have appeared to move on without Michael Crabtree.

Link please.
Yahoo article on Crabtree

[ Edited by luis1985 on Sep 8, 2009 at 14:55:59 ]
Originally posted by luis1985:
Colts GM Bill Polian was just interviewed on NFL Network. He was asked about his take on the 49ers and Michael Crabtree situation. Did anyone watch it?

Bill Polian said he is very suprised that Crabtree's holdout has gone on for this long. It is not in Crabtree's best interest to sit out. Also, Polian says he cannot speak for the 49ers because he is not in their situation, but (in his opinion) Coach Singletary and the 49ers Front Office have appeared to move on without Michael Crabtree.

Link please.

It was on NFL Network's "Around the League" show. I saw it as well.

Brady had every opportunity to impress scouts, coaches, GM's in workouts. Crabtree was not given that opportunity.

but it wasn't like no one allowed Crabtree to work out. He had an injury. Them's the breaks. It's unfortunate, and I understand Crabtree being upset, but an awful lot of players are drafted lower than their real-world value because of concerns about injuries. It seems to me that the best thing to do is to go play football and prove those people wrong.
Ryan, San Jose, CA
02:38 PM ET
Regarding the whole Deion Sanders/Michael Crabtree fiasco - The 49ers say they haven't been contacted by any teams regarding Crabtree, but Deion says he knows of two teams who would for sure give Crabtree $40 million. Who are these two teams and why are they making offers to a player, his agent or representatives directly when the 49ers are the only ones who can negotiate with him?

Roger_goodell_hs_08_40x55
Commissioner Roger Goodell, NFL.com
This is not tampering, but it may be a conflict of interest. It is not permissible for other teams to get involved or express an interest in signing Michael Crabtree. This negotiation should be between the player and the 49ers and hopefully they will find a resolution so Michael can begin his NFL career as soon as possible.

How is something that is "not permissible" also considered not to be tampering? I don't understand, is he just distorting words here? This whole affair is a conflict of interest. There's something very fishy about Goodell's stance. Could he be getting kickbacks from Jerry Jones? Maybe someone should investigate Goodell.

[ Edited by Psinex on Sep 8, 2009 at 14:58:47 ]

I agree that the NFL would like to muzzle any speculation about tampering, so Goodell and Company have their own benefit in getting this contract impasse resolved.

My attitude toward Crabtree may be different than most fans. As I see it, the club has never gotten any on-field contribution from him, so the club hasn't really lost anything. Is it really any different than a club's 1st round draft choice breaking his foot and being out for the entire year or simply being a washout like Rashaun Woods? The draft is always a crap shoot. It's not like the club has hit a home run on its other 1st-round draft picks in recent years. Certainly, preserving fiscal sanity within the roster, to the best of their ability, is an important consideration toward team unity and future player negotiations. There are significant benefits to the club in holding firm, as I see it.

Now, if this were Patrick Willis holding out, I would be right there, saying "Pay the man!" A player like Willis, who has clearly contributed on-field for the club, is an entirely different situation, in the sense that the club would righteously be reviled as cheap, for refusing to reward on-field performance.

2010 looks like an uncapped year, but will there be a rookie salary cap in 2010? If so, Crabtree could lose significantly. If not, maybe Crabtree now belatedly sees 2010 as a mother-lode year for rookies, when Jerry Jones or Snyder will open the kimona big-time.

When all the dust settles, the club had damn-well better go for the throat in dealing with the NFL over tampering charges. This is the nation's 6th largest market and month-after-month of tampering charges, roiling in the press in this market, is bad business for the NFL. Best for Goodell and Company to mete out swift and harsh justice, which is Goodell's specialty. Can't identify the offending team(s)? Then just give the Niners a Round 3 comp pic. Thank you very much. Remember, the Bears got BOTH the player (Lance Briggs) AND the Niners draft pick.

[ Edited by jimbagg on Sep 8, 2009 at 15:06:27 ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:

but it wasn't like no one allowed Crabtree to work out. He had an injury. Them's the breaks. It's unfortunate, and I understand Crabtree being upset, but an awful lot of players are drafted lower than their real-world value because of concerns about injuries. It seems to me that the best thing to do is to go play football and prove those people wrong.

I don't see the drop over the concern about injuries, but rather they did not have a chance to see him work out, which makes teams hesitant with high first rounders. The foot does not seem to be a risky issue for teams, to my knowledge.
  • TheChosenOne
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by KNRO1670:

And Cousin

Cousin?

[img=]

woohooo almost at 100 pages
Originally posted by battletowin:
woohooo almost at 100 pages

cmon people, only 8 more pages! Bring on the hate! Crabtree screwed yo momas! What now?!
Share 49ersWebzone