LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 359 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Hadn't seen this one yet:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/index?

quote:

I talked to an NFL scout recently who provided a rundown on the 49ers draft picks:

1. Michael Crabtree: "We had him at the end of the first round, even the second round. He doesn't run all that well, and we heard some things about his attitude. He might be just a system guy." Meaning playing in the spread offense could have inflated his numbers.

2. Glen Coffee: "Tough guy from the SEC. But I don't know if he'll be anything more than a backup."

3. Scott McKillop: "Another guy who's just kind of a backup player."

4. Nate Davis: "A stud. I saw six games and he didn't throw a bad pass. He's Mark Sanchez."

5. Curtis Taylor: "Big, strong kid, but I don't know if he's smart enough."

6. Ricky Jean-Francois: "He's got third- or fourth-round talent, but we would not have touched him with a 10-foot pole. Worst character guy in the draft. LSU couldn't wait to get rid of him."

Who knows what's true anymore. Unless they put it in writing BEFORE the draft, anybody can say anything about these things.

Not to hijack a thread about Crabtree and change the subject... but whats wrong with RJF? What are these 'character issues' they speak of?
I say cut our losses, trade him first chance we get to the team purportedly will pay him a lot of money. Get a first round even if its a low one and count it as a lesson learned. Maybe even file tamper charges later to get additional picks.

This kids bad news even if we do sign him, I'm willing to bet either he gets injured or if he is decent he'll want to renegotiate his contract every two years. I used to think TO was a basket case, but watch, he'll make TO look like Mother Teresa.
  • Ang
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
party pooper. Ur gonna make me type out the entire Crabtree Declaration again???

Copy/paste? The other thread is still here.
Ang's "Crabtree Discussion Thread" is way better than Esco's "Crabtree Discussion Thread".
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Damn, it actually got a second thread. wow
Originally posted by Ether:
Originally posted by socal9er42:
Hadn't seen this one yet:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/index?

quote:

I talked to an NFL scout recently who provided a rundown on the 49ers draft picks:

1. Michael Crabtree: "We had him at the end of the first round, even the second round. He doesn't run all that well, and we heard some things about his attitude. He might be just a system guy." Meaning playing in the spread offense could have inflated his numbers.

2. Glen Coffee: "Tough guy from the SEC. But I don't know if he'll be anything more than a backup."

3. Scott McKillop: "Another guy who's just kind of a backup player."

4. Nate Davis: "A stud. I saw six games and he didn't throw a bad pass. He's Mark Sanchez."

5. Curtis Taylor: "Big, strong kid, but I don't know if he's smart enough."

6. Ricky Jean-Francois: "He's got third- or fourth-round talent, but we would not have touched him with a 10-foot pole. Worst character guy in the draft. LSU couldn't wait to get rid of him."

Who knows what's true anymore. Unless they put it in writing BEFORE the draft, anybody can say anything about these things.

Not to hijack a thread about Crabtree and change the subject... but whats wrong with RJF? What are these 'character issues' they speak of?

Just shows you that even highly paid, dedicated, professional NFL scouts can be (and often are) wrong.
How come no one else gets to have a second thread on the "same subject?"
Nazi's
Ang can u Pin the old one for easier reference? I suppose we all can use the "Search" feature... but what fun would that be?
Oh Boy, here we go again.
I do hope the Cowboys sign him and he A:kills the eagles and B:Flops like a fish out of water against everyone else.

Originally posted by 5TIME49:
Oh Boy, here we go again.
I do hope the Cowboys sign him and he A:kills the eagles and B:Flops like a fish out of water against everyone else.

so you are saying you are a cowboy fan
Originally posted by KRS-1:
He may have been a RS sophomore but he dominated in his 2 years on the field and came up big in big games. Not having a timed speed hurt a little but teams could turn on the tape and see his game speed on tape. Timed speed in a pair of shorts is overrated. He may have played in a gimmick offense but that didn't stop him from being hailed one of the best if not the best player in the draft class by fans, analysts and experts alike. Again he was a big time player who really stood out as a playmaker and lots of NFL players come from gimmick offenses.
No one is arguing that Crabgreed wasn't a bit time player who really stood out as a playmaker. You seem to be arguing that he didn't have any baggage and the only reason he fell was b/c of his injury. That's just crazy.

Quote:
We only know of 1 team who flagged him as a diva pre-draft and he visited multiple teams. So it seems there were multiple teams who were not known to be concerned and coupled with the fact that false rumors leak every year prior to the draft the diva issue pre-draft is pretty much moot.
Wow, using that ridiculous rationale, practically every draft prospect's "attitude concerns" are moot. Are you really trying to argue that his attitude concerns had nothing to do with his falling in the draft?

You want this issue to be moot, but it isn't. Only one team came out and said he was a diva. That only backed up reports from all over that Crabgreed's attitude was turning some teams off. Just check the net for the old reports. So far, Crabgreed's actions have validated the attitude concerns you say are "moot."

Quote:
The final weeks and days leading up to the draft no one thought he'd make it to us at number 10 and the reaction to selecting him had 49er fans everywhere abuzz because they knew of the reputation that preceeded him in college.
No. Fans were abuzz b/c they knew about his production in college and super-high predraft rating. Oh, and the fact that we have needed a game-breaking WR since Owens.

Quote:
All of a sudden people forget about that reputation of a quiet hardworking kid who displayed a good attitude.
It's not "all of a sudden." It happened over several months where Crabgreed's actions spoke louder. Fans forgot about the reptutation of being "the quiet hardworking kid who displayed a good attitude" b/c Crabgreed's actions established his reputation for being "the greedy player who displayed a me-first attitude and told the team that he'll reenter the draft if he doesn't get what he wants."

He is ruining his reputation. Not the fans. Not the press. It's him. He is in control and he is making these choices. Personally, I think he is getting some very bad advice (21 year old kids listen to their family and idiots like Sanders and Wells) and that is what is causing this contract impasse.
I don't care about Craptree anymore. I hope he doesn't sign. He was a wasted pick. He has a worse attitude than T.O. Let him re enter the draft. Who is going to pick a Prima Donna WR with a bad foot, terrible attitude, money grubbing ways, "change the slotting system just for me because I'm CRAPTREE", and sitting out of football for an entire year? It's entirely possible he wouldn't even get picked in the 1st round of the 2010 draft. He sure is putting up huge red flags for other teams. Let him go get picked in the 2nd round of the 2010 draft. We don't need him. I don't even want his attitude on this team anymore. He has shown his true colors.

[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:08 PM ]
I hope to hear something positive within the next week.
Just read the article on Athlon about "Crabtree having nothing to gain". Man that is the most concise article I have read on this situation. Holding out any further is just committing "NFL Career Suicide" to me.

As for the comments from the Scout, these are the same types of people who passed on some of the best talent in the history of the game. No one on here likes the Raiders much, but over the years they have proven that alot of scouts know diddley squat.

I don't mind if a DLineman has an attitude, as long as he takes it out on the opposing teams and their QBs What would these same scouts have said about Charles Haley?

As for McKillop, you don't need a superstar at TED. You need someone who shines in the "supporting cast". Heck, if all you needed was Superstars, shouldn't the Plowboys have won the Superbowl the past two years?

Say what you like about Bellichek and evaluating talent, but Teddy Bruschi has a few rings, and did a pretty good job without being "Everyones All American". The "talking head" scouts remind us all that talent isn't the only thing. If Scouts were so bright they would all be millionaires like all those Collegiate Economists.
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Sep 16, 2009 at 3:16 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone