There are 414 users in the forums

Crabtree Discussion Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
September 4, 2009
No cash flow problem for Crabtree

If Michael Crabtree doesn't sign his contract by the time the first game checks are handed out late next week, he'll start losing money. But it's not as if the rookie wide receiver doesn't have a bit of change in his pocket already. After the college season, Crabtree was perhaps the most popular player heading into the draft - USC quarterback Mark Sanchez was his only competition in that regard - and he signed a number of endorsement deals at the time.

Among them were deals with EA Sports, Subway, Nike's Jordan Brand sneakers, three trading card companies and MogoTXT. Interestingly, that last deal requires Crabtree to update his followers with occasional messages. His latest, on Aug. 24:

MichaelCrabtree:Hey peps just hollaring at u i am still working hard getting stronger and faster oh yea i am ready to go so i can put on a show 4 ya
Sent 3:05:30 PM Mon Aug 24 '09

The post before that one may be more meaningful because it came on Aug. 7, a day after reports surfaced that Crabtree was threatening to sit out the entire season and re-enter the 2010 draft.

MichaelCrabtree:What up peps yeah this ur boy crab just want to say dont belive the hype i am ready to this thing in the bay i am putting the gym just on the low until its time to go!,do it 4 uSent 12:26:06 PM Fri Aug 7 '09

Crabtree also has money heading his way from jersey sales. According to Darren Rovell of CNBC.com, a look at NFL jersey sales from the first four months of the fiscal year shows that Crabtree's No. 15 jersey ranks 20th in the league. Among rookies, he is only behind Sanchez, a starter for the Jets. NFL players get about 6 percent every time their jersey is sold.

Rovell does note that the fact that Crabtree hasn't signed is hurting jersey sales. Crabtree was ranked No. 8 in sales in early August. It's also hard to see Crabtree signing any new deals considering he has yet to even practice with the 49ers. Still, one of his marketing managers, Peter Miller of Jabez Marketing Group, said that rookies typically don't have a lot of endorsement opportunities at the beginning of the season anyway. "That's when they're concentrating on football," Miller said. "I don't think we ever had a plan to do anything in August."

Here's the entire list from sales on NFLShop.com from the NFL's first four months of the fiscal year. Courtesy of CNBC.com.

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
3. Troy Polamalu, Steelers
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
5. Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
9. Adrian Peterson, Vikings
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
12. Peyton Manning, Colts
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
14. LaDainian Tomlinson, Chargers
15. Jason Witten, Cowboys
16. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons
19. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
20. Michael Crabtree, 49ers

-- Matt Barrows

I recall a poster named.....oh, yeah, it was me...talking about this a couple weeks ago. He has the means to not sign the contract.

I was saying that to but a lot of people here seemed to think he was not going to get the endorsement money if he sat out all yr but the fact is he has already got paid from these endorsers and signed contracts with them for years to come.

You were the one I was talking about. Madman...I mean maddog just repeated what you said and decided to use that to try and belittle other posters by trying to make himself seem high and mighty
Originally posted by singfan:
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:
I'd sweeten the deal and give him McCloughan's job.

I'm not a big fan of McCloughan. I blame him for this mess anyway.

It's difficult to be a fan of anyone when your view of the world is obscured by Mike Shanahan's testicles....
I'd sweeten the deal and give him McCloughan's job.

I'm not a big fan of McCloughan. I blame him for this mess anyway.

It's difficult to be a fan of anyone when your view of the world is obscured by Mike Shanahan's testicles....

Originally posted by AmpLee:
September 4, 2009

If Michael Crabtree doesn't sign his contract by the time the first game checks are handed out late next week, he'll start losing money. But it's not as if the rookie wide receiver doesn't have a bit of change in his pocket already. After the college season, Crabtree was perhaps the most popular player heading into the draft - USC quarterback Mark Sanchez was his only competition in that regard - and he signed a number of endorsement deals at the time.

Among them were deals with EA Sports, Subway, Nike's Jordan Brand sneakers, three trading card companies and MogoTXT. Interestingly, that last deal requires Crabtree to update his followers with occasional messages. His latest, on Aug. 24:

MichaelCrabtree:Hey peps just hollaring at u i am still working hard getting stronger and faster oh yea i am ready to go so i can put on a show 4 ya

The post before that one may be more meaningful because it came on Aug. 7, a day after reports surfaced that Crabtree was threatening to sit out the entire season and re-enter the 2010 draft.

MichaelCrabtree:What up peps yeah this ur boy crab just want to say dont belive the hype i am ready to this thing in the bay i am putting the gym just on the low until its time to go!,do it 4 uSent 12:26:06 PM Fri Aug 7 '09

Crabtree also has money heading his way from jersey sales. According to Darren Rovell of CNBC.com, a look at NFL jersey sales from the first four months of the fiscal year shows that Crabtree's No. 15 jersey ranks 20th in the league. Among rookies, he is only behind Sanchez, a starter for the Jets. NFL players get about 6 percent every time their jersey is sold.

Rovell does note that the fact that Crabtree hasn't signed is hurting jersey sales. Crabtree was ranked No. 8 in sales in early August. It's also hard to see Crabtree signing any new deals considering he has yet to even practice with the 49ers. Still, one of his marketing managers, Peter Miller of Jabez Marketing Group, said that rookies typically don't have a lot of endorsement opportunities at the beginning of the season anyway. "That's when they're concentrating on football," Miller said. "I don't think we ever had a plan to do anything in August."

Here's the entire list from sales on NFLShop.com from the NFL's first four months of the fiscal year. Courtesy of CNBC.com.

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons

-- Matt Barrows

I recall a poster named.....oh, yeah, it was me...talking about this a couple weeks ago. He has the means to not sign the contract.

Originally posted by AmpLee:
September 4, 2009

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons

-- Matt Barrows

You've got some serious moves. Impressive!
i can't imagine his sponsors will be happy paying a guy who isn't playing football. How do you put him in commercials? Who is going to be buying what he's selling if they haven't seen him play in a year?
Originally posted by backontop:
September 4, 2009

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons

-- Matt Barrows

I was saying that to but a lot of people here seemed to think he was not going to get the endorsement money if he sat out all yr but the fact is he has already got paid from these endorsers and signed contracts with them for years to come.

You were the one I was talking about. Madman...I mean maddog just repeated what you said and decided to use that to try and belittle other posters by trying to make himself seem high and mighty

Irrespective of who first brought the endorsement deals to the attention of the board, there's an issue here that deserves mention.

As one of the comments to MB's blog points out, each of those endorsement contracts undoubtedly contains a clause protective of the company and giving them an "out" if Crabby does anything to lessen the "value" of their deal--like, for example, holding out for an entire year and NOT becoming the pro football player that everyone anticipated when they signed their respective endorsement deals.

Some of those endorsement companies are undoubtedly already unhappy with the way things have gone to date, and may be considering their legal recourse, i.e., lawsuits for the return of their money.

So Crabby is living on borrowed money. Holding out a year will mean he has to repay that money. Holding out a year will mean that he's not gonna get any more endorsement deals for quite awhile. Holding out a year is gonna cost him far more than just the guaranteed money he foregoes this year.

Holding out a year would be a monumentally stupid move, from a business standpoint.
September 4, 2009

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons

-- Matt Barrows

Is this a Saturday Night Live skit?

He is "ready to do this thing by the bay," but he is waiting it out because he thinks the 49ers will cave at the 59th second of the 59th minute of the 11th hour on the last day???

What is WRONG with this man?

Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Irrespective of who first brought the endorsement deals to the attention of the board, there's an issue here that deserves mention.

As one of the comments to MB's blog points out, each of those endorsement contracts undoubtedly contains a clause protective of the company and giving them an "out" if Crabby does anything to lessen the "value" of their deal--like, for example, holding out for an entire year and NOT becoming the pro football player that everyone anticipated when they signed their respective endorsement deals.

Some of those endorsement companies are undoubtedly already unhappy with the way things have gone to date, and may be considering their legal recourse, i.e., lawsuits for the return of their money.

So Crabby is living on borrowed money. Holding out a year will mean he has to repay that money. Holding out a year will mean that he's not gonna get any more endorsement deals for quite awhile. Holding out a year is gonna cost him far more than just the guaranteed money he foregoes this year.

Holding out a year would be a monumentally stupid move, from a business standpoint.

well said. a little TOO well said...remember, you're in Niner Talk. You should have worded your post:

Dudez, crabSUCK gotta play ta get the Nike $$$$$$

September 4, 2009

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons

-- Matt Barrows

From what I have read and heard, he has already got up-front money from these company's and has guranteed contracts. I heard he got $10mill up front to sign with Nike and $2mill up front to sign with Subway.

It's crazy he got these deals without signing an NFL contract and im sure company's will make sure that the player signs a deal with his team before they give money and a guranteed deal.

Originally posted by HessianDud:

well said. a little TOO well said...remember, you're in Niner Talk. You should have worded your post:

Dudez, crabSUCK gotta play ta get the Nike $$$$$$

Well, we're saying the same thing, although admittedly, you put it more concisely.

From what I have read and heard, he has already got up-front money from these company's and has guranteed contracts. I heard he got $10mill up front to sign with Nike and $2mill up front to sign with Subway.

It's crazy he got these deals without signing an NFL contract and im sure company's will make sure that the player signs a deal with his team before they give money and a guranteed deal.

Not so:

'In just about any sports endorsement deal lies a clause that states the athlete must be on an active roster in their respective league (for Crabtree, this being the NFL). Following the Michael Vick saga, you can just about count on it.'

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/243128-crabtree-vs-49er-standoff-calm-before-the-storm
September 4, 2009

1. Brett Favre, Vikings
2. Jay Cutler, Bears
4. Michael Vick, Eagles
6. Tony Romo, Cowboys
7. Mark Sanchez, Jets
8. Tom Brady, Patriots
10. Eli Manning, Giants
11. Terrell Owens, Bills
13. Hines Ward, Steelers
17. Joe Flacco, Ravens
18. Matt Ryan, Falcons

-- Matt Barrows

There are guarantees, and then there are "guarantees."

I will guarantee you this, those companies paid some big lawfirm alot of money to draft a contract that will protect THEIR rights and give them a basis to sue for any actions on Crabby's part that adversely affect the value of the contract. The same big lawfirms that may, even now, be considering going after Crabby to return their money, based on his prolonged holdout.

Crabby will be crying for his momma shortly after getting into it with those kind of guys. They understand the meaning of "negotiations" when involved in a lawsuit, and will have no sympathy for a kid who's in over his head. Think of it as Haynesworth landing on Brady (no, too gentle); or more likely, Lawrence Taylor on Joe Theisman.

Crabby will find himself wishing for the day when he was just negotiating with the 49ers.

This gets more and more interesting.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Sep 4, 2009 at 15:00:50 ]

There's absolutely no way that Nike and Crabtree's other sponsors didn't protect themselves by having some sort of escape clause. Like someone else just said, after the whole Vick debacle, do you still think they're going to throw cash at some rookie and not have some way of getting it back if it all goes to hell? If he sits out, they're effectively paying him based off his college performance. While he set all sorts of records in college, that's only a drop in the bucket when compared to his marketability as (what they assumed) an elite NFL player.

When they endorse him, they expect him to be a representative of the company. With all the bad press he's been getting, I don't think it's too much of a leap of faith to suggest his sponsors might be feeling a little uneasy.

[ Edited by showtime49 on Sep 4, 2009 at 15:03:53 ]
I just saw that Deon Sanders is going to be on NFL Total Access today discussing the Crabtree situation. Maybe he has a little insight here, or maybe he is just going to cover his Prime U ass.
Share 49ersWebzone