LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.

Anyone that was convinced Sully was the man was off their rocker just as much as if people think Smith still has potential. Ludicrous I tell you. Davis however looks better than Alex ever did mechanics wise and has a better pocket presence and arm. Plus he's prototypical in size and it looks like he has a good feel for the game.

That being said Nate is a step up from Alex and I am 100% convinced that because of the ownership (Noobish but improving maybe) and their relationship with the GM is why Alex is still on the squad. It's just a lot of egg on your face if your number one overall pick with 24 million guaranteed is a 3rd string dime a dozen guy.

But remember guys it is Davis and his learning disability that could be an issue but Mr. Smith who scored high on his wonderlick but it looks like he has more issues than Davis. Should be most rookies playing tomorrow vs. San Diego, should be fun to watch though. Go Niners!!

PRESEASON!!!

Davis hasn't faced a STOUT 1st team Defense yet in his life. Alex looked pretty decent in Preseason too when he was a Rook.
How bout we wait until we see Davis in a Starter role before we anoint him Joe Montana 2.0.1v2. Shall we???

~Ceadder

No he didn't....he looked garbage in pre-season....and that's why Rattay won the job....he looked like a deer caught in headlights..........you don't remember his first game against the raiders??

Davis looks much more comfortable than Alex ever did....hell he looks calmer than him now. Are we watching the same team?

I agree here with you here ... both Hill AND Smith look awful; very discouraging to know that those are our two QB's competing for the starting job. Funny thing, those two, on any other team, would be battling for the 2nd and 3rd string job ... ugh
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by oscarug:
i swear theres more fan support for Smith than Jeff Garcia ever had... lol

Alex Smith: 1st overall pick

Expectations from a 1st overall pick: Pro Bowls, Superbowls, All Pro, make players around him play better(great players do this)

Results: Injured prone, horrible QB smarts, players around him struggle to make plays. career backups outplay him(JTO,Hill, Rattay)

someone mentioned that your team is only as good as the worst player on the field! for the niners that's been the QB spot. when Smith have been starter the niners just were not consistent, 3-outs were the norm. with Hill the offense hasnt been great, but it does drive the ball and give the D some rest. sure Hill will probably get the team more Field Goals than touchdowns, but its better than punting the ball all day with Smith as our guy.

Smith has 30starts with 6 +200yard games, 63.5QB career rating

Hill has 10starts with 7 +200 yard games, 90.5QB career rating

sure smith is more sexy on your little madden games.. but on the field.. he just sucks, they guy has never done anything consistent to earn the starter roll.. i don't even think he was what it takes to be a #2 guy.

what makes me think Smith cant be a #2 guy:

SHAUN HILL IS A natural #2 GUY.. Hill is a career backup. on any other team this woulda been a QB competition for the #2 spot and smith failed. think about it.. if Brady or Manning was the starting QB's for the niners, Hill would be that Vet backup QB who can come in and win a few games here and there.

you can say it again vs JTO, [b]career backup competing with Smith in 08. JTO won[/b]. on any other team that would have been a competition for the #2 spot and smith failed again.

Rattay vs Smith 05 season? again.. Rattay career backup QB.. competes with the #1 overall pick and wins... on any other team.. again.. competing with Rattay would mean your competing for the #2spot..

FACT:Alex Smith was still injured in 08 which required him to have surgery again,missing the 08 season

I swear you can find some of the most clueless people right here in the zone

I cannot believe this joker is touting Hill over Smith, Hill has looked every bit as bad, if not worse than Smith, and Smith has been out with an injury for 18 months. After the preseason, I am convinced that Hill is short term only. There is no excuse for his level of play to have regressed, and don't try to say it is because Martz is gone, Hill is just plain inaccurate and has nothing on passes over 10-15 yards, and that has absolutely nothing to do with pay calling.

Yeah I'm afraid Defenses are gonna stack the box,take away the short passing game and dare Hill to throw down field and if that happens,the 49ers will be in trouble.S.Hill has made a couple nice medium passes before but his flutterballs will not scare anybody.

Go Niners and good luck

Expectations from a 1st overall pick: Pro Bowls, Superbowls, All Pro, make players around him play better(great players do this)

Results: Injured prone, horrible QB smarts, players around him struggle to make plays. career backups outplay him(JTO,Hill, Rattay)

someone mentioned that your team is only as good as the worst player on the field! for the niners that's been the QB spot. when Smith have been starter the niners just were not consistent, 3-outs were the norm. with Hill the offense hasnt been great, but it does drive the ball and give the D some rest. sure Hill will probably get the team more Field Goals than touchdowns, but its better than punting the ball all day with Smith as our guy.

sure smith is more sexy on your little madden games.. but on the field.. he just sucks, they guy has never done anything consistent to earn the starter roll.. i don't even think he was what it takes to be a #2 guy.

SHAUN HILL IS A natural #2 GUY.. Hill is a career backup. on any other team this woulda been a QB competition for the #2 spot and smith failed. think about it.. if Brady or Manning was the starting QB's for the niners, Hill would be that Vet backup QB who can come in and win a few games here and there.

you can say it again vs JTO, [b]career backup competing with Smith in 08. JTO won[/b]. on any other team that would have been a competition for the #2 spot and smith failed again.

Rattay vs Smith 05 season? again.. Rattay career backup QB.. competes with the #1 overall pick and wins... on any other team.. again.. competing with Rattay would mean your competing for the #2spot..

FACT:Alex Smith was still injured in 08 which required him to have surgery again,missing the 08 season

I cannot believe this joker is touting Hill over Smith, Hill has looked every bit as bad, if not worse than Smith, and Smith has been out with an injury for 18 months. After the preseason, I am convinced that Hill is short term only. There is no excuse for his level of play to have regressed, and don't try to say it is because Martz is gone, Hill is just plain inaccurate and has nothing on passes over 10-15 yards, and that has absolutely nothing to do with pay calling.

Yeah I'm afraid Defenses are gonna stack the box,take away the short passing game and dare Hill to throw down field and if that happens,the 49ers will be in trouble.S.Hill has made a couple nice medium passes before but his flutterballs will not scare anybody.

Go Niners and good luck

quack quack quack!!! if they stack the box were screwed, Hills passes take their sweet ass time getting to where they need to go
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Go Niners and good luck

quack quack quack!!! if they stack the box were screwed, Hills passes take their sweet ass time getting to where they need to go

real mature bashing our Starting QB, posting back to back to back...... you fellas are quite sad. Alex lost the "competition" and you react like this.....geeeeeez

talk about sore losers....even Alex wouldn't react like this.......show some class...or at least some maturity.

before you reply...let me save you sometime "bu...Bu....But....BUT U Guyz were mean to Alex toooooo woo" *sniff* *sniff*

there, same responses you all have been giving since Shaun Hill, Starting Qb of your San Francisco 49ers, beat out.....convincingly I might add..... former 1st Overall Pick...Mr. 60million dollar man.... Alex Smith.

real mature fellas....real mature.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.

Anyone that was convinced Sully was the man was off their rocker just as much as if people think Smith still has potential. Ludicrous I tell you. Davis however looks better than Alex ever did mechanics wise and has a better pocket presence and arm. Plus he's prototypical in size and it looks like he has a good feel for the game.

That being said Nate is a step up from Alex and I am 100% convinced that because of the ownership (Noobish but improving maybe) and their relationship with the GM is why Alex is still on the squad. It's just a lot of egg on your face if your number one overall pick with 24 million guaranteed is a 3rd string dime a dozen guy.

But remember guys it is Davis and his learning disability that could be an issue but Mr. Smith who scored high on his wonderlick but it looks like he has more issues than Davis. Should be most rookies playing tomorrow vs. San Diego, should be fun to watch though. Go Niners!!

PRESEASON!!!

Davis hasn't faced a STOUT 1st team Defense yet in his life. Alex looked pretty decent in Preseason too when he was a Rook.

How bout we wait until we see Davis in a Starter role before we anoint him Joe Montana 2.0.1v2. Shall we???

~Ceadder

Alex never looked as good as Nate, Ceaddar. Alex just doesn't have the mechanics or the poise to step up in the pocket. I am just saying that all our QB's are mediocre or less. My point is Smith legitimately has nothing over Nate. Not skill, arm or youth. You could say experience but that's about it. He isn't better passing the ball.
They're afraid he might attempt tackling someone else without his helmet on...this time.
Originally posted by Afrikan:

Go Niners and good luck

real mature bashing our Starting QB, posting back to back to back...... you fellas are quite sad. Alex lost the "competition" and you react like this.....geeeeeez

talk about sore losers....even Alex wouldn't react like this.......show some class...or at least some maturity.

before you reply...let me save you sometime "bu...Bu....But....BUT U Guyz were mean to Alex toooooo woo" *sniff* *sniff*

there, same responses you all have been giving since Shaun Hill, Starting Qb of your San Francisco 49ers, beat out.....convincingly I might add..... former 1st Overall Pick...Mr. 60million dollar man.... Alex Smith.

What is really sad is your admitted hypocrisy. I don't really care for any of our QB's but to try and say Hill has outplayed anyone is the ultimate in idiocy. The plain fact is he didn't play any better than Smith, who is mediocre at best, but would at least give the threat of throwing the deep out, something Hill just cannot do. The fact that you refuse to admit that Hill not only didn't outplay Smith, but overall looked just as bad, if not worse than Smith, just shows how little you pay attention.
IMO, he sucks. Bottom line..
Originally posted by Xestenz:
Originally posted by Esco:
The team doesn't want to risk re injury in a meaningless game.

No such thing as a 'meangless game' to Smith's development. He has missed all of last year. He is still learning a new offense.

Come on...

Risk his health as a 25 year old (?) so that he can play in one preseason game when he's already been named the second string.

Yeah excellent idea

Go Niners and good luck

What is really sad is your admitted hypocrisy. I don't really care for any of our QB's but to try and say Hill has outplayed anyone is the ultimate in idiocy. The plain fact is he didn't play any better than Smith, who is mediocre at best, but would at least give the threat of throwing the deep out, something Hill just cannot do. The fact that you refuse to admit that Hill not only didn't outplay Smith, but overall looked just as bad, if not worse than Smith, just shows how little you pay attention.

exactly, sore loser? whos the sore loser? if our QB has a bad year we're all gonna be sore losers. this is an opinion based forum, but whenever people voice their opinions on here someone who bashes them with retarded sarcastic remarks. disagree, your entitled to it but to be a troll just because your opinion differs is childish. ive said many times i dont care who wins as long as we get a good qb out of this mess. i wish shaun hill the best of luck but in reality if they stack the box, its gonna be the same offense weve had the last few years. Hill's arm doesnt scare anyone, and like memphis said, Hill didnt really beat out alex, they played equally as bad and singletary gave the nod to hill because he knew more about his game based on last year. neither QB looked good at all, alex threw behind and above receivers and Hill stared his targets down from the beginning of the route till the end and floated slow, ugly looking passes their way. i hope he's just nervous or something and he gets over it because doing that in the regular season will get you INT after INT...

Go Niners and good luck

"What is really sad is your admitted hypocrisy."

you're one to talk....you post over and over that last year doesn't count and that Hill has not showed you anything this preseason to deserve to be the starter....but tell me.

you post this...
"The plain fact is he didn't play any better than Smith, who is mediocre at best, but would at least give the threat of throwing the deep out, something Hill just cannot do."

Did Alex throw the deep out with consistency this preseason...hell did he throw it one time.......hell, again....did even ATTEMPT to throw one....just one, deep pass.....NO!

so how are you going to state this as fact....what? because Alex has done this in the past?.....hmm but we can't expect Hill, who has passed well and looked much better than these "preseason"...yes PRESEASON games....to do better during the regular season like he did last year, right?

but no, you are a fair poster who "don't really care for any of our QB's" right....haha what ever....the Webzones sees through your blank blank.

and to say I pay little attention to my team....HA! I can't believe you have the nerve to call that other poster a Joker....you should talk.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Sep 6, 2009 at 15:08:04 ]
Cause he stinks and is a pansy always injured individual.
  • dj43
Smith is exactly where he needs to be - watching while we find out if Hill is the "annointed" one, or just another one.

If Hill fails, or is injured, then Smith gets his chance without the pressure.

That time will come as it is rare that any QB plays the entire season in every meaningful downs.

Go Niners and good luck

You're one of the most childish zoners here,I've read several of your past posts(gibberish) and maturity is not in your vocabulary so

Go Niners and good luck

You're one of the most childish zoners here,I've read several of your past posts(gibberish) and maturity is not in your vocabulary so

really now....do you want to show me some more examples....or is this just all opinion...

if you look at who I quoted...you would see this is one of the few times where I drop down in maturity, to the level of my fellow posters....it was needed in this situation. If you couldn't tell I was being sarcastic that is not my problem.

also did you vote in my other thread?
"I've read many "opinions" this offseason regarding Shaun Hill.....vote time!"
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=129349
Share 49ersWebzone