LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 292 users in the forums

Why The Heck Isn't Alex Smith Playing?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's not starting because he simply don't deserve to start at this point. Shaun Hill isn't much of an upgrade either.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.

Anyone that was convinced Sully was the man was off their rocker just as much as if people think Smith still has potential. Ludicrous I tell you. Davis however looks better than Alex ever did mechanics wise and has a better pocket presence and arm. Plus he's prototypical in size and it looks like he has a good feel for the game.

That being said Nate is a step up from Alex and I am 100% convinced that because of the ownership (Noobish but improving maybe) and their relationship with the GM is why Alex is still on the squad. It's just a lot of egg on your face if your number one overall pick with 24 million guaranteed is a 3rd string dime a dozen guy.

But remember guys it is Davis and his learning disability that could be an issue but Mr. Smith who scored high on his wonderlick but it looks like he has more issues than Davis. Should be most rookies playing tomorrow vs. San Diego, should be fun to watch though. Go Niners!!

PRESEASON!!!

Davis hasn't faced a STOUT 1st team Defense yet in his life. Alex looked pretty decent in Preseason too when he was a Rook.

How bout we wait until we see Davis in a Starter role before we anoint him Joe Montana 2.0.1v2. Shall we???

~Ceadder
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinersSF:
He's not starting because he simply don't deserve to start at this point. Shaun Hill isn't much of an upgrade either.

Dude, would you start Joe Montana in the 4th preseason game??? Even a mere mortal like Tom Brady??? Of course not! He's a franchise player. He gets paid to make big time plasy in January, not preseason. If there's four things Alex Smith stands for it's: 1) pinpoint accuracy, 2) consistency, 3) big plays in pressure situations and 4) injury free.

With a franchise QB like Smith, you don't put him at risk in a meaningless preseason game.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by excelsior:
I cannot beleive how easy it is for you guys to conclude that Davis is the future. He may be, but he has a long way to go to prove how he functions during an entire game, against quality backups, against defenses designed to frustrate his perceived weaknesses. And how will he react to critical situations? Remember how he "threw it up for grabs" last week? Many of you were the same guys who were convinced O'Sullivan was the man, and we know how that turned out.

Cool your jets.

Anyone that was convinced Sully was the man was off their rocker just as much as if people think Smith still has potential. Ludicrous I tell you. Davis however looks better than Alex ever did mechanics wise and has a better pocket presence and arm. Plus he's prototypical in size and it looks like he has a good feel for the game.

That being said Nate is a step up from Alex and I am 100% convinced that because of the ownership (Noobish but improving maybe) and their relationship with the GM is why Alex is still on the squad. It's just a lot of egg on your face if your number one overall pick with 24 million guaranteed is a 3rd string dime a dozen guy.

But remember guys it is Davis and his learning disability that could be an issue but Mr. Smith who scored high on his wonderlick but it looks like he has more issues than Davis. Should be most rookies playing tomorrow vs. San Diego, should be fun to watch though. Go Niners!!

PRESEASON!!!

Davis hasn't faced a STOUT 1st team Defense yet in his life. Alex looked pretty decent in Preseason too when he was a Rook.
How bout we wait until we see Davis in a Starter role before we anoint him Joe Montana 2.0.1v2. Shall we???

~Ceadder

No he didn't....he looked garbage in pre-season....and that's why Rattay won the job....he looked like a deer caught in headlights..........you don't remember his first game against the raiders??

Davis looks much more comfortable than Alex ever did....hell he looks calmer than him now. Are we watching the same team?

[ Edited by Ninerbowl6 on Sep 4, 2009 at 22:58:39 ]
I wonder if Alex didn't play because this is one year after his buddy killed himself. Maybe a personal reason. I dunno.

Or it could just be the thumb. Sorry noob moment.
Originally posted by oscarug:
i swear theres more fan support for Smith than Jeff Garcia ever had... lol

Alex Smith: 1st overall pick

Expectations from a 1st overall pick: Pro Bowls, Superbowls, All Pro, make players around him play better(great players do this)

Results: Injured prone, horrible QB smarts, players around him struggle to make plays. career backups outplay him(JTO,Hill, Rattay)

someone mentioned that your team is only as good as the worst player on the field! for the niners that's been the QB spot. when Smith have been starter the niners just were not consistent, 3-outs were the norm. with Hill the offense hasnt been great, but it does drive the ball and give the D some rest. sure Hill will probably get the team more Field Goals than touchdowns, but its better than punting the ball all day with Smith as our guy.

Smith has 30starts with 6 +200yard games, 63.5QB career rating

Hill has 10starts with 7 +200 yard games, 90.5QB career rating

sure smith is more sexy on your little madden games.. but on the field.. he just sucks, they guy has never done anything consistent to earn the starter roll.. i don't even think he was what it takes to be a #2 guy.

what makes me think Smith cant be a #2 guy:

SHAUN HILL IS A natural #2 GUY.. Hill is a career backup. on any other team this woulda been a QB competition for the #2 spot and smith failed. think about it.. if Brady or Manning was the starting QB's for the niners, Hill would be that Vet backup QB who can come in and win a few games here and there.

you can say it again vs JTO, [b]career backup competing with Smith in 08. JTO won[/b]. on any other team that would have been a competition for the #2 spot and smith failed again.

Rattay vs Smith 05 season? again.. Rattay career backup QB.. competes with the #1 overall pick and wins... on any other team.. again.. competing with Rattay would mean your competing for the #2spot..

FACT:Alex Smith was still injured in 08 which required him to have surgery again,missing the 08 season

I swear you can find some of the most clueless people right here in the zone

Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by oscarug:
i swear theres more fan support for Smith than Jeff Garcia ever had... lol

Alex Smith: 1st overall pick

Expectations from a 1st overall pick: Pro Bowls, Superbowls, All Pro, make players around him play better(great players do this)

Results: Injured prone, horrible QB smarts, players around him struggle to make plays. career backups outplay him(JTO,Hill, Rattay)

someone mentioned that your team is only as good as the worst player on the field! for the niners that's been the QB spot. when Smith have been starter the niners just were not consistent, 3-outs were the norm. with Hill the offense hasnt been great, but it does drive the ball and give the D some rest. sure Hill will probably get the team more Field Goals than touchdowns, but its better than punting the ball all day with Smith as our guy.

Smith has 30starts with 6 +200yard games, 63.5QB career rating

Hill has 10starts with 7 +200 yard games, 90.5QB career rating

sure smith is more sexy on your little madden games.. but on the field.. he just sucks, they guy has never done anything consistent to earn the starter roll.. i don't even think he was what it takes to be a #2 guy.

what makes me think Smith cant be a #2 guy:

SHAUN HILL IS A natural #2 GUY.. Hill is a career backup. on any other team this woulda been a QB competition for the #2 spot and smith failed. think about it.. if Brady or Manning was the starting QB's for the niners, Hill would be that Vet backup QB who can come in and win a few games here and there.

you can say it again vs JTO, [b]career backup competing with Smith in 08. JTO won[/b]. on any other team that would have been a competition for the #2 spot and smith failed again.

Rattay vs Smith 05 season? again.. Rattay career backup QB.. competes with the #1 overall pick and wins... on any other team.. again.. competing with Rattay would mean your competing for the #2spot..

FACT:Alex Smith was still injured in 08 which required him to have surgery again,missing the 08 season

I swear you can find some of the most clueless people right here in the zone

I cannot believe this joker is touting Hill over Smith, Hill has looked every bit as bad, if not worse than Smith, and Smith has been out with an injury for 18 months. After the preseason, I am convinced that Hill is short term only. There is no excuse for his level of play to have regressed, and don't try to say it is because Martz is gone, Hill is just plain inaccurate and has nothing on passes over 10-15 yards, and that has absolutely nothing to do with pay calling.
The only reason JTO beat out Hill and Smith was due to his grasp of the offense. Does anyone truly believe if Norv was our OC from 06- now that JTO would have started?
Maybe it was best the Alex Smith didn't play last night. He would have taken a beating and who knows that he wouldn't have been injured enough to end his season!

Nate Davis is a good strong kid ... not fragile looking like Smith and he spent most of the night running for his life and he still took some beating!

Inspite of that he accounted for himself admirably .. ! Hard to think that Smith could have done any better ... but you have your Smith die hards ... so be it!

alex will play if hill sucks in the regular season. i hope hill doesnt suck because he is our starting QB. its still preseason!!! you guys need to chill out.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

...Nate Davis is a good strong kid ... not fragile looking like Smith and he spent most of the night running for his life and he still took some beating!...

That's the key right there. In this offense, with the players available, there is a huge load placed on the QB. Only a mobile, accurate, strong-armed QB can succeed (at least against the better teams).

There is only one of them there guys on this team. If Smith could become a quickly decisive guy, and could throw accurately and without the windup of a 1920s pitcher, then he would be the man and Davis, the rookie, would sit.

So far, we haven't seen that.

Davis will start before the season is over. Hill and Smith will both be given the chances, but in time there will be no choice but to go to Davis.

The coaches will want to save their jobs, that's why.
Originally posted by carlgo:

...Nate Davis is a good strong kid ... not fragile looking like Smith and he spent most of the night running for his life and he still took some beating!...

That's the key right there. In this offense, with the players available, there is a huge load placed on the QB. Only a mobile, accurate, strong-armed QB can succeed (at least against the better teams).

There is only one of them there guys on this team. If Smith could become a quickly decisive guy, and could throw accurately and without the windup of a 1920s pitcher, then he would be the man and Davis, the rookie, would sit.

So far, we haven't seen that.

Davis will start before the season is over. Hill and Smith will both be given the chances, but in time there will be no choice but to go to Davis.

The coaches will want to save their jobs, that's why.

Hate to be a Homer, but Davis would have had another TD last night if that obvious pass interfance call in the endzone was made on the last play...
As much as I admire Nate Davis strength, composure and decision making, he's not ready to be the 1st string QB.

Unfortunately, I think that it will come to pass UNLESS the 49er's are able to offer more protection for their QB. Shaun Hill as much as he has guts and spunk is liable to get injured, and Smith is a fragile looking kid who can't seem to understand the concept of getting rid of the ball quickly and overthrowing his receivers.

Even when he's not overthrowing his receivers, they're having to leap high to catch his passes and you know darn well that's an injury (to the receiver) that's waiting to happen.

His decision making and his turnovers will ultimately determine his future. No more excuses ... this is HIS last shot here in SFO!
As much as I admire Nate Davis strength, composure and decision making, he's not ready to be the 1st string QB.

Unfortunately, I think that it will come to pass UNLESS the 49er's are able to offer more protection for their QB. Shaun Hill as much as he has guts and spunk is liable to get injured, and Smith is a fragile looking kid who can't seem to understand the concept of getting rid of the ball quickly and overthrowing his receivers.

Even when he's not overthrowing his receivers, they're having to leap high to catch his passes and you know darn well that's an injury (to the receiver) that's waiting to happen.

His decision making and his turnovers will ultimately determine his future. No more excuses ... this is HIS last shot here in SFO!

when crabtree signs they should have smith start to punish him a little bit. a couple rib shots might do the trick haha. something many of you are forgetting is that the playbook is watered down for Nate Davis right now, he hasnt grasped the whole offense. i think singletary or raye said it a few weeks ago. let the kid sit and learn, shaun and alex are both serviceable for what this team is trying to do, but throwing him into the league like they did to alex could destroy him, like they destroyed alex.
Share 49ersWebzone