There are 204 users in the forums

Espn just on--Regular Season Record

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Jersey9er:
Just watching ESPN and heres what they said,

1. Our division was the worst in the NFL and our teams struggled mightily outside the division.

We might have some competition.... AFC WEST

Besides Chargers who say will be 11-5, 12-4 the have Broncos, Chiefs and Raiders.

AFC West had 23 victories last year we had 22. The NFC WEST is probably the same, might have improved and the AFC WEST will be about the same or worse.

Chiefs won 2
Broncos won 8
Chargers won 8
Raiders won 5

I'd say Broncos would be down at least 4, Chargers up 3.... Raiders about the same, chiefs up 2-3

overall + 1-2

so 23 wins plus 1-2 = 24-25
----

Cards won 9
We won 7
Seattle won 4
Rams won 2

Cards i'd say same, Us =+1, Seattle=+2, Rams=same or+1

So that leaves us +3-4

22+3-4 = 25-26 so we should be right there with the AFC West (24-25 wins) to our (25-26 wins)
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Shaun Hill will never be a marquee QB...but I really don't think he needs to be for our team to be successful. What absolutely killed us last year was sacks and turnovers, most of 'em when Mad Mike had his boy JTO at QB. Something that appears to be lost on some of the supposed analysts is with Gore, Coffee, and I'll throw Sheets into the mix, we'll have our best running attack since '06 under Turner. What that means is Hill won't have to throw for 300 yds for us to win...when teams put 8 in the box, I have faith Shaun can make the throws he needs to in play-action that should result in some big plays. You don't have to heave the rock 50 yds downfield to make big plays...especially with Crabtree and B. Jones on the field. Both guys can exploit YAC.

With any semblance of offensive consistency, our D can be very good. Both must work together for maximum succes, but I can see that happening. The key is to minimize TO's on offense and create them on defense. This team can do that...they simply must take care of the football and not beat themselves.

Yes. We don't need a lights out QB or passing game with the running game going like it has been so far. Sing is right, you just need someone who can manage the game when you control the ball like we have been. Like he says: There is no magician stuff here. It's all about executing as perfectly as you can.

Lombardi said it, and Sing knows it, and he's got em all going with same mindset:

"Football is blocking and tackling."

Okay then WHY sports fans is ALEX not our starting QB? If that's all you want is a "GAME MANAGER" then why roast Smith over something that you do not expect Hill to do?

This is purely a rhetorical question to the masses. I am not singling any one person out. But I find it extraordinary that Hill takes a pass for not being able to do the things that Alex supposedly cannot as well. If all we want is a hand-off machine under Center what was all the garbage being dished to Smith for? Instead of paying the guy to sit, can't he develop and become a BETTER player in that scenario? And in the event that the team wouldn't want to keep him around into NEXT season wouldn't it be advantageous in the event of an Offseason trade?

~Ceadder
The first five games will dictate how the season will go. As I've said in another post, the 49er's are facing three aging QB's who are VERY accurate with their passing. If the 49er's are unable to put any pressure on them, they're in serious trouble.

It's OK to fantasize about turnovers and interceptions but realistically, I don't think that you'll see many of them without applying a lot of pressure (which a pass rush will do). These are veterans that given a decent amount of protection can raise havoc on the other teams defense.

Besides, one needs to take advantage of every turnover opportunity, but the 49er's are not exactly a scoring machine. Without the 49er's being able to score a lot of points (which I doubt at this point), they CANNOT outscore these teams.

Limiting them to 17 points of less will give the 49er's a chance to win, if not ... it may be a long day.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Sep 2, 2009 at 11:18:16 ]

1. Our division was the worst in the NFL and our teams struggled mightily outside the division. Best part of the division, Arizona made it to the Super Bowl.

2. More than 9 wins by Arizona, Seattle wins more than 7 and they, if not Arizona will win the division. Rams no more than 5 wins

3. 7 or less wins for us from Jaws and Gruden,

Jaws: 7 is just the right number, Frank will get the running game goin and pound the football, but the inability to get the explosive plays from the QB will hurt us.

Gruden said: We have a ton of first rounders that really havent come in San Fran and played good in recent years. WE need to see more of Kentwan Balmer, he said again thats why i think even less wins than 7 this year. (During his rant when he talked about first rounders, they showed Lawson, Davis, and Smith, and Balmer)

Speak on it, if a Mod doesnt close it, do you guys agree, regardless of bias's?

Good, this will just motivate the Niners to prove them all wrong. GO NINERS!!!
this season has 7-9 written all over it
Originally posted by wailers15:
this season has 7-9 written all over it

have optimism 9-7
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
1)TEAM SPORT- The sooner you realize this the sooner you'll get off Alex's ass.

2)When playing straight up 3-4 our Defense has ACTUALLY shown that the are pretty stout. You don't believe me? Look at the last 8 games of the season last year. The PPGA average over that time is pretty decent. We get burnt when we're playing hybrid 3-4 because it's extremely complicated.

3)If we have no pass rush were the QBs' that we faced so inept that they just threw the ball to our guys instead of theirs? I seriously doubt it. Well okay maybe Chokeland's but Garcia is not that bad of a QB.

4)And WE still got Bam Bam. Peterson is good but Bam Bam draws to an inside straight keeping AP to minimum yards. And THIS year we go TKO as well. AP better bounce to the outside ALOT in that matchup or it's going to be a LONG day for him.

The rest I completely agree with you. I think that we match up pretty well against these teams. But I think people read too much into "pass rush". Pass rush is great sports fans. But takeaways are better. I would much rather see our guys getting push and giving the QB fits, rather than see the guy on his back all day. Knock him down sure. But do it as the ball is getting out. That way it gives us the opportunity to take it. Much better option than relying on occasional fumbles.

~Ceadder

1. I didn't mean to talk down about Alex Smith, but the guy had the nerve to compare his record to Jay Cutler's which I find ridiculous.

2. When most Alex Smith supporters try to find reasons to bash Shaun Hill, they say he won games at the end of the season, when teams "gave up." Why does the defense get a pass? I understand it was simplified and easier to execute, but if Hill can't get any credit then why does the defense?

3. We're talking about preseason? OK. Our first team defense provided very little pressure during the preseason. A lot of the takeaways you speak of were created by our backups, who in turn were facing the other team's backup line and QB. The starters haven't provided enough pressure to force turnovers or make sacks. We don't have a pass rush unless we have some sort of complicated scheme that is going to allow Manny Lawson and our defenseive line to miraculously gain the ability to shed blocks.

4. I'd love to see Patrick Willis (I refuse to call him Bam Bam because it's a stupid nickname) shut down Adrian Peterson again, but if you're expecting that to happen you're likely to be disappointed. Their offensive line is too good to allow us to hold Peterson down the way we did 2 years ago. Nate Clements pretty much shut down Larry Fitzgerald last year, holding him to his two worst performances of the season, but I don't expect it to happen again this season. You don't shut down these premiere players every time.

As for the pass rush.. It's kinda hard to force takeaways without one. Pass rush doesn't mean sacks, it means pressure. So far there is no evidence our pass rush is any better than last year's, and last year's pass rush was non-existant. People aren't reading too much into this. We NEED a pass rush.
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
I heard some dude on some radio show say we will win the west, cool.

In such a mediocre and up in the air division, anybody can win it. Well, maybe not the Rams, but stranger things have happened.

Uuuhhh OK

I trust that dude too cause I think he's the guy related to that other guy who's on TV a lot.

You mean that you think dude on the radio is the dude related to that other dude who's on TV alot.

Face it, dude, anyone with "dude" in their moniker or known as "dude" must be OK.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Until we get a QB we will never get above the 6-10 to 8-8 kind of team
Originally posted by nyninerfan:
I say we win 10 games and make the first round of playoffs. Reason? We can run the ball with Gore Coffee and Norris blocking. I think these are the games we will win.

Sun Sep. 13 @Cardinals W
Sun Sep. 20 Seahawks - W
Sun Sep. 27 @Vikings - L
Sun Oct. 4 Rams - W
Sun Oct. 11 Falcons - L
BYE
Sun Oct. 25 @Texans W
Sun Nov. 1 @Colts - L
Sun Nov. 8 Titans - L
Thur Nov. 12 Bears - L
Sun Nov. 22 @Packers - W
Sun Nov. 29 Jaguars - W
Sun Dec. 6 @Seahawks - W
Mon Dec. 14 Cardinals - L
Sun Dec. 20 @Eagles - W
Sun Dec. 27 Lions - W
Sun Jan. 3 @Rams - W

If anything this year we cill the Bears i hate them for the Briggs set up they pulled on us i hope we kill them WE BETTER WIN THAT ONE

i think the AFC West is gonna be the worst division in football this year. we had a superbowl team come out of our division so they can shove their opinion up their asses

1. Our division was the worst in the NFL and our teams struggled mightily outside the division. Best part of the division, Arizona made it to the Super Bowl.

2. More than 9 wins by Arizona, Seattle wins more than 7 and they, if not Arizona will win the division. Rams no more than 5 wins

3. 7 or less wins for us from Jaws and Gruden,

Jaws: 7 is just the right number, Frank will get the running game goin and pound the football, but the inability to get the explosive plays from the QB will hurt us.

Gruden said: We have a ton of first rounders that really havent come in San Fran and played good in recent years. WE need to see more of Kentwan Balmer, he said again thats why i think even less wins than 7 this year. (During his rant when he talked about first rounders, they showed Lawson, Davis, and Smith, and Balmer)

Speak on it, if a Mod doesnt close it, do you guys agree, regardless of bias's?

The correct answer for us is 9.

As a 1-gap 3-4 we are good enough to go .500 on the road. Our offense will stop trying to hit home runs and do what it can according to the personnel it has. This will make us 1 better than .500 at home.

The Rams will win 4.

The Seahawks will not win more than 5.

Arizona will not win more than 7.

That is all.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Shaun Hill will never be a marquee QB...but I really don't think he needs to be for our team to be successful. What absolutely killed us last year was sacks and turnovers, most of 'em when Mad Mike had his boy JTO at QB. Something that appears to be lost on some of the supposed analysts is with Gore, Coffee, and I'll throw Sheets into the mix, we'll have our best running attack since '06 under Turner. What that means is Hill won't have to throw for 300 yds for us to win...when teams put 8 in the box, I have faith Shaun can make the throws he needs to in play-action that should result in some big plays. You don't have to heave the rock 50 yds downfield to make big plays...especially with Crabtree and B. Jones on the field. Both guys can exploit YAC.

With any semblance of offensive consistency, our D can be very good. Both must work together for maximum succes, but I can see that happening. The key is to minimize TO's on offense and create them on defense. This team can do that...they simply must take care of the football and not beat themselves.

Yes. We don't need a lights out QB or passing game with the running game going like it has been so far. Sing is right, you just need someone who can manage the game when you control the ball like we have been. Like he says: There is no magician stuff here. It's all about executing as perfectly as you can.

Lombardi said it, and Sing knows it, and he's got em all going with same mindset:

"Football is blocking and tackling."

Okay then WHY sports fans is ALEX not our starting QB? If that's all you want is a "GAME MANAGER" then why roast Smith over something that you do not expect Hill to do?

This is purely a rhetorical question to the masses. I am not singling any one person out. But I find it extraordinary that Hill takes a pass for not being able to do the things that Alex supposedly cannot as well. If all we want is a hand-off machine under Center what was all the garbage being dished to Smith for? Instead of paying the guy to sit, can't he develop and become a BETTER player in that scenario? And in the event that the team wouldn't want to keep him around into NEXT season wouldn't it be advantageous in the event of an Offseason trade?

~Ceadder

I don't think a "hand off machine under center" is what is wanted out of either Hill or Smith. There's more to it than that. It's been made very clear that Sing was looking for leadership as well. Smith, is an absolute bust in the department, and Hill has not been. Hence, all other things being equal (and I personnel beleive they are pretty close, neither of them have put any long distance between each other) Smith is the loser....he gets his ass roasted as it should be. (don't get me wrong here, I have nothing for/against either of them, I don't give two s**ts which one of them starts.)

As far as I am concerned, they can both sit on the bench and let the rook have a chance at it. We may win more this year with Hill (or Smith) (thank God for a running game), but both are dead end roads, and the only real hope we have is with rook.

But, I can see it being better to let the rook develop slowly, although I personally think he would probably handle the heat of being thrown into the fire just damn fine. Kids got some serious poise and he damn sure isn't a slow learner, and he's damn sure got the physical skills.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Until we get a QB we will never get above the 6-10 to 8-8 kind of team

Would be nice ... BUT!

I wouldn't exactly tout Trent Dilfer as being a great QB when he won the Superbowl during his year (2000) with the Ravens. His stats were nothing to jump up and down about (Pass attempts 226, Comp 124 for 59%) But their Won and Loss record was: 12-4 Not too shabby!

His job was to MANAGE the game, take what was given to him and and above all ... avoid turnovers. I think that Shaun HIll is capable of doing just that!

The DEFENSE was the key to their success that year ... and OH yeah BTW .. they heavily employed the PASS RUSH! Didn't hurt to have a Ray Lewis and a Rob Woodson at the time either.
Originally posted by westcoastchamps:
Originally posted by nyninerfan:
I say we win 10 games and make the first round of playoffs. Reason? We can run the ball with Gore Coffee and Norris blocking. I think these are the games we will win.

Sun Sep. 13 @Cardinals W
Sun Sep. 20 Seahawks - W
Sun Sep. 27 @Vikings - L
Sun Oct. 4 Rams - W
Sun Oct. 11 Falcons - L
BYE
Sun Oct. 25 @Texans W
Sun Nov. 1 @Colts - L
Sun Nov. 8 Titans - L
Thur Nov. 12 Bears - L
Sun Nov. 22 @Packers - W
Sun Nov. 29 Jaguars - W
Sun Dec. 6 @Seahawks - W
Mon Dec. 14 Cardinals - L
Sun Dec. 20 @Eagles - W
Sun Dec. 27 Lions - W
Sun Jan. 3 @Rams - W

If anything this year we cill the Bears i hate them for the Briggs set up they pulled on us i hope we kill them WE BETTER WIN THAT ONE

I hope that we rock the Texans thats the only game that I'm gonna be able to go to.
Share 49ersWebzone