There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Espn just on--Regular Season Record

Originally posted by valrod33:
I got my ESPN the mag the other day and they have an NFL preview and in there they have us and the Cards going 6-10 and the seahawks going 10-6 and the Rams 8-8

Only reason they said that is cause the Sheattle team has T.J. Whosyomama playin for them. Funny thing is that over the last 3 seasons they had some solid guys and STILL went nowhere. I don't see T.J. turning them around on his own. The loss of Peterson is GOING to hurt them as well.

So don't believe everything you read...

...Unless I'm the author.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sounds about right. It all comes back to the fact that the Niners qb situation just isn't scaring anybody or making anybody believers. Gonna have to prove them wrong. And Gruden is dead on about the 1st rounders. Besides Willis they haven't contributed anything of any significance.

I would include Staley along with Willis. He is obviously not as good as Willis but for his draft position I think he has met expectations.

But Davis, Lawson, Smith, Balmer, yeah...we need to see more.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
Sounds about right. It all comes back to the fact that the Niners qb situation just isn't scaring anybody or making anybody believers. Gonna have to prove them wrong. And Gruden is dead on about the 1st rounders. Besides Willis they haven't contributed anything of any significance.

I would include Staley along with Willis. He is obviously not as good as Willis but for his draft position I think he has met expectations.

But Davis, Lawson, Smith, Balmer, yeah...we need to see more.

Let's give Balmer 1 more year before we start getting on him, and I believe that Davis will be great this year, as far as the others.......
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
until we get a legit, franchise QB, we'll get no respect.

We need to draft one high this next draft or go out and get a franchise guy!

If the niners don't use the two 1st round pics to get either bradford or McCoy, i'll officially have lost all faith in the organization. Pretending like our QB situation is good enough to win a championship, is just retarded.

Pretending that it was good enough to go into this season was absolutely CRIMINAL. Hill didn't even get enough snaps in pre-season either. He might just come out and get injured. Then what LOL.
until we get a legit, franchise QB, we'll get no respect.

I agree. And until we get that legit, franchise QB, we'll never come close to winning a championship. We might be able to sneak into the playoffs a few times, but we won't be legit contenders. We don't have a dominant defense and our running game is good, but not good enough to carry us to a championship (I don't feel anyone's running game is good enough to do that at this point). People (or Niner fans, I should say) like to dismiss the importance of a franchise QB because we don't have one, but everyone else knows you're unlikely to be a legit contender without one. Look at all the repeat SuperBowl winners.. They all have a very good, franchise QB. The ones that won a championship without that franchise QB (Ravens, Buccs) were one and done. Never won one again. Now look at the Niners of the 80s, the Patriots, the Cowboys, even the Broncos in the late 90s.. All repeat winners, all have (had) a franchise QB.
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
but i wouldn't watch one game if i had the thought that we would just be a 7 win team.

So I'm guessing you didn't watch any games in 2005, right? Because we weren't even expected to win the 4 games that we did.

There's a difference between rooting for your team and being a homer. I always think we have a chance at winning until the game gets out of hand, but I am not dumb enough to not realize there is a good chance we will lose certain games before we even play them. Some people just don't like reality, I guess.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
#1. The Chicago defense is getting old and while adapt at rushing the QB...they are having a horrible time against the run and have 2 CB's that are very banged up. Cutler has had just as much success in the win column as Alex Smith and just because he has a rocket arm means absolutely nothing if their receiving situation is 30 times worse than ours.

Alex Smith has a total of 11 wins. While Cutler only has 17, what you fail to mention is a lot of Cutler's wins were due to him putting on a good performance. A lot of Alex Smith's wins were due to Frank Gore putting on a good performance. Cutler's defense has been absolutely awful and he got little-to-no help in his wins. He can light it up and now he has a defense to help him out - a defense that is currently much better than ours. They have a better QB, a better defense and a running game that I'd say is not as good as ours, but not lightyears behind, either.

#2. Tennessee has still not improved their WR situation and while they are adept at running the football...they are pretty much a deadlock with what the 49ers are trying to do as a team.

The difference is their defense has proven to be much better than ours and has proven capable of leading them to wins. Ours hasn't done any such thing.

#3. The Packers are a good team and they do have a QB who can throw it...but they also have issues on the offensive line and their defense in VERY much a work in progress outside of the secondary.

And you think we don't have the same problems? We also have issues on our offensive line and our defense is also a work in progress. We have no damn pass rush!!

#4. The Vikings will be without Kevin and Pat Williams for the first 4 games of the season and if you think Berrian is anything close to a #1 besides being paid like it...you my friend are a tad delusional. BTW they alos lost their center fielder in Sharper and their pass rush is actually worse than that of the 49ers.

All that being said.. They STILL have the best RB in the game and they STILL have a better defense than we do.

#5. Yeah the Texans do have a great WR, a good RB and a good TE. But their offensive line has never come together since they played their first NFL game...their secondary is terrible outside of Donta Robinson and Demeco Ryans is the only LB they have that makes an impact.

I happen to believe we are a better team than the Texans so I won't argue with you.

#6. What improvements have the Jaguars made??? They cut their 2nd best runner and never replaced him. Their pass rush is still an enigma. They also signed a "former" all pro (Holt) and it still doesnt make their WR situation any better. Their RT/LT situation is being placed in the hands of 2 rookies (but since they were drafted high that makes them impact players I guess to you). Overall they have not made ANY significant improvements and their coach is on the volcano seat.

I will also agree with you here.

Originally posted by unreasonable1:
#7. The Colts are having a littany of problems right now. Their defense has not improved...they are VERY concerned about Tony Ugoh right now for the long term. They do not have that potent 3rd WR that makes their offense so dangerous and besides Bob Sanders and Bethea their secondary is questionable at best.

You conveniently forgot that Peyton Manning can torch us with just Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. It's not like we have an NYG-like pass rush to pressure Manning. And has he ever had a defense? Nope. Doesn't matter.

I'm not saying we can't win these games, I'm only saying that every team you're trying to sell short still seems to have the upper hand on us despite the shortcomings you claim they have. I happen to believe we will beat a few of those teams, I'm just saying despite your arguments against them, they still have a very good shot at beating us.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 2, 2009 at 00:10:00 ]
Shaun Hill will never be a marquee QB...but I really don't think he needs to be for our team to be successful. What absolutely killed us last year was sacks and turnovers, most of 'em when Mad Mike had his boy JTO at QB. Something that appears to be lost on some of the supposed analysts is with Gore, Coffee, and I'll throw Sheets into the mix, we'll have our best running attack since '06 under Turner. What that means is Hill won't have to throw for 300 yds for us to win...when teams put 8 in the box, I have faith Shaun can make the throws he needs to in play-action that should result in some big plays. You don't have to heave the rock 50 yds downfield to make big plays...especially with Crabtree and B. Jones on the field. Both guys can exploit YAC.

With any semblance of offensive consistency, our D can be very good. Both must work together for maximum succes, but I can see that happening. The key is to minimize TO's on offense and create them on defense. This team can do that...they simply must take care of the football and not beat themselves.
Originally posted by Kurtz49:
I would include Staley along with Willis. He is obviously not as good as Willis but for his draft position I think he has met expectations. But Davis, Lawson, Smith, Balmer, yeah...we need to see more.

i actually think kb has looked like our second best dl but we are going to have to wait for soap to get benched to see kb make a real impact.

i saw what they said on espn. i dont really disagree with them too much. they said about 7 wins and gruden said we need to see more from our last few first rounders like kb. id say if that happens and we get decent qb play then we probably go 9-7. if it doesnt happen we probably go 6-10 or 7-9. we have some good points too. we finally have some continuity on our ol, a lot of young guys there. if jones heals and crab ever signs we have a lot of weapons, just need the qb to get them the ball.
I think that people underestimate our starting OL. We dont have hardly any depth at all but once the starters play together more I belive that they will be much better than has been shown. 9-7 here we go.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
#1. The Chicago defense is getting old and while adapt at rushing the QB...they are having a horrible time against the run and have 2 CB's that are very banged up. Cutler has had just as much success in the win column as Alex Smith and just because he has a rocket arm means absolutely nothing if their receiving situation is 30 times worse than ours.

Alex Smith has a total of 11 wins. While Cutler only has 17, what you fail to mention is a lot of Cutler's wins were due to him putting on a good performance. A lot of Alex Smith's wins were due to Frank Gore putting on a good performance. Cutler's defense has been absolutely awful and he got little-to-no help in his wins. He can light it up and now he has a defense to help him out - a defense that is currently much better than ours. They have a better QB, a better defense and a running game that I'd say is not as good as ours, but not lightyears behind, either.

#2. Tennessee has still not improved their WR situation and while they are adept at running the football...they are pretty much a deadlock with what the 49ers are trying to do as a team.

The difference is their defense has proven to be much better than ours and has proven capable of leading them to wins. Ours hasn't done any such thing.

#3. The Packers are a good team and they do have a QB who can throw it...but they also have issues on the offensive line and their defense in VERY much a work in progress outside of the secondary.

And you think we don't have the same problems? We also have issues on our offensive line and our defense is also a work in progress. We have no damn pass rush!!

#4. The Vikings will be without Kevin and Pat Williams for the first 4 games of the season and if you think Berrian is anything close to a #1 besides being paid like it...you my friend are a tad delusional. BTW they alos lost their center fielder in Sharper and their pass rush is actually worse than that of the 49ers.

All that being said.. They STILL have the best RB in the game and they STILL have a better defense than we do.

#5. Yeah the Texans do have a great WR, a good RB and a good TE. But their offensive line has never come together since they played their first NFL game...their secondary is terrible outside of Donta Robinson and Demeco Ryans is the only LB they have that makes an impact.

I happen to believe we are a better team than the Texans so I won't argue with you.

#6. What improvements have the Jaguars made??? They cut their 2nd best runner and never replaced him. Their pass rush is still an enigma. They also signed a "former" all pro (Holt) and it still doesnt make their WR situation any better. Their RT/LT situation is being placed in the hands of 2 rookies (but since they were drafted high that makes them impact players I guess to you). Overall they have not made ANY significant improvements and their coach is on the volcano seat.

I will also agree with you here.

Originally posted by unreasonable1:
#7. The Colts are having a littany of problems right now. Their defense has not improved...they are VERY concerned about Tony Ugoh right now for the long term. They do not have that potent 3rd WR that makes their offense so dangerous and besides Bob Sanders and Bethea their secondary is questionable at best.

You conveniently forgot that Peyton Manning can torch us with just Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. It's not like we have an NYG-like pass rush to pressure Manning. And has he ever had a defense? Nope. Doesn't matter.

I'm not saying we can't win these games, I'm only saying that every team you're trying to sell short still seems to have the upper hand on us despite the shortcomings you claim they have. I happen to believe we will beat a few of those teams, I'm just saying despite your arguments against them, they still have a very good shot at beating us.

1)TEAM SPORT- The sooner you realize this the sooner you'll get off Alex's ass.

2)When playing straight up 3-4 our Defense has ACTUALLY shown that the are pretty stout. You don't believe me? Look at the last 8 games of the season last year. The PPGA average over that time is pretty decent. We get burnt when we're playing hybrid 3-4 because it's extremely complicated.

3)If we have no pass rush were the QBs' that we faced so inept that they just threw the ball to our guys instead of theirs? I seriously doubt it. Well okay maybe Chokeland's but Garcia is not that bad of a QB.

4)And WE still got Bam Bam. Peterson is good but Bam Bam draws to an inside straight keeping AP to minimum yards. And THIS year we go TKO as well. AP better bounce to the outside ALOT in that matchup or it's going to be a LONG day for him.

The rest I completely agree with you. I think that we match up pretty well against these teams. But I think people read too much into "pass rush". Pass rush is great sports fans. But takeaways are better. I would much rather see our guys getting push and giving the QB fits, rather than see the guy on his back all day. Knock him down sure. But do it as the ball is getting out. That way it gives us the opportunity to take it. Much better option than relying on occasional fumbles.

~Ceadder
No QB + no pass rush won't end well. This is not a good team. It's sad but we have been rebuilding for years and are nowhere. That's just the reality. We have missed on so many picks and even some FA's aren't providing as good of production as they should. We have made big mistakes on coaches and people in the personnel department have failed. It could be 5 + years to fix this.
The QB does not need to throw the ball 50 plus yards to gain the explosive edge in games. As long as Hill make his throws and plays smartly, which he does, the WRs will make the eplosive plays.
SOUNDS AS IF YOU ARE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT EVERYONE BUT THE 49ERS:
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Oh, and I just touched on some of our division rivals. We play two games against
a division foe that probably has one of the most prolific passing games seen in
recent years. Guess what, they just added a quality running back to go with that.
Mr. Warner's going to get fat "having all that time to each lunch".

Another of our division foes has a stout defense that's pretty good at stopping the
run.

Then we get to play the AFC South, and the NFC North. Let's see who's in these
divisions:

Indy Colts - Hmm, Peyton Manning, Wayne, Gonzalez, and a couple of RBs.
But....all their defense has is Bob Sanders you say. Who needs
a defense when you've got Peyton Manning and his offensive cast,
against a non-existant pash rush

Jaguars - They were bad last year, but they made improvements.

Titans - But, NVNinerfan they lost Haynesworth. Right, keep thinking that
way.

Texans - They only have the 2nd best receiver (Johnson), a good tight end
(Daniels) and a pretty good RB (Slaton). Let's forget about
them.

Packers - Well there rebuilding their defense (3-4). Sorry, it appears they
only start this, but are about 3 to 4 years ahead of us. Offense,
they actually have a qb that can throw deep.

Bears - Oh, heck Cutler's not that good, and their defense is getting old.
Right.

Vikings - Hey didn't that old qb sign with them? Hey we beat him last year.
But....the jets didn't have AP, Taylor, Berrien and a TE that can get
open and catch the ball. Oh, and should we talk about the Williams
and their defense. Oh, you mean the best run defense in the NFL?

Lions - Finally God smiles on us. Not so fast, there may be some suprises.

Yup, I just see us going 10-6 all day.

[ Edited by Shifter on Sep 2, 2009 at 09:17:59 ]
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Shaun Hill will never be a marquee QB...but I really don't think he needs to be for our team to be successful. What absolutely killed us last year was sacks and turnovers, most of 'em when Mad Mike had his boy JTO at QB. Something that appears to be lost on some of the supposed analysts is with Gore, Coffee, and I'll throw Sheets into the mix, we'll have our best running attack since '06 under Turner. What that means is Hill won't have to throw for 300 yds for us to win...when teams put 8 in the box, I have faith Shaun can make the throws he needs to in play-action that should result in some big plays. You don't have to heave the rock 50 yds downfield to make big plays...especially with Crabtree and B. Jones on the field. Both guys can exploit YAC.

With any semblance of offensive consistency, our D can be very good. Both must work together for maximum succes, but I can see that happening. The key is to minimize TO's on offense and create them on defense. This team can do that...they simply must take care of the football and not beat themselves.

Yes. We don't need a lights out QB or passing game with the running game going like it has been so far. Sing is right, you just need someone who can manage the game when you control the ball like we have been. Like he says: There is no magician stuff here. It's all about executing as perfectly as you can.

Lombardi said it, and Sing knows it, and he's got em all going with same mindset:

"Football is blocking and tackling."