LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Jerry Sullivan (WR Coach)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Who would replace him?
You can't blame the guy for the dropped passes. I would much rather have a new o-line & DB coach.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Who would replace him?

I would love for Jerry the GOAT to at lease be an assistant WR coach, how can you not learn from the best! He also recovered from drop passes in his rookie season.

I love Sing as the HC, he just needs some help with his assistants and better management of the clock and time outs. Some of the time out issues fall on ALex too though
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Yah he tells them to go out and drop passes.

Sullivan is not at fault. You can't teach someone to grow balls (crabtree), and nfl players should not drop passes. has nothing to do with sullivan. if we had a different wr coach this season would be no different.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
Sullivan is not at fault. You can't teach someone to grow balls (crabtree), and nfl players should not drop passes. has nothing to do with sullivan. if we had a different wr coach this season would be no different.

Maybe but he can push them to practice catching more...teach them how to use their hands. Something is just not right if year after year your receivers continuously drop passes.
You can teach even a pro football player how to catch the ball. Clearly someone worked with Vernon this off season to work on catching the ball with his hands better (instead of letting the ball into his body).

And its NOT just standing in front of that football throwing machine -- that helps, but it is really a 3 step process learning:
1. Hand position
2. "Soft hands"
3. Snatching hands

My old football coach pushed me to learn soft hands by learning how to set a volleyball. It requires a similar hand position to receiving a football, but you really need to receive the ball into your hands perfectly and develop concentration to watch the ball into your hands, and the finger, wrist, and forearm reflexes to do it well.

Next, in spring camp we worked on that same technique of soft hands, but with balls coming harder and harder. Trying to catch a fastball and still use "soft hands" develops the natural reflexes to catch the ball out in front as much as possible, and snatch it from the air.

You put it all together and you can keep your hands down so as not to tip off the DB, and really still snatch a ball from the air with fluidity and ease.

It made a world of difference and my catching the next season felt 100 times more natural and easy.

Vernon seems like a different catcher this season. He is much more fluid snatching the ball from the air, and watching the ball in with over the shoulder throws. I give him a lot of credit for dedicating himself to his craft. He still has moments when old habits come back, most noticably when the ball comes to him sooner than he expects.

Crabtree is a natural snatching the ball out of the air. By the way, Morgan seems to need some help in this area.

On a side note, this ability to snatch the ball really helps the QB too because it gives him a larger target area to throw too -- and he knows he can throw the ball early and you will still have the natural reactions to get the catch.
I'm not sure what Sullivan can do in this situation. He can help his receivers run the routes, play the defender, make the moves, recognized the open spot in the zone, make the foot work along the sideline, beat the press coverage, timed the routes. But when the ball hit them in the face or goes over the shoulder, there's not much Sullivan can do at that point. It's up to the player to MAKE THE FREAKIN CATCH!!! Have some hand eye coordination, you are paid to catch the ball.

Davis catches that ball his momentum carries him into the endzone it's Niners 21-17

The Crabtree gator arm I could understand a little. He didn't expect Smith to thread that needle, saw the safety as he turned to look at the ball zipping into his face, and decide to defend himself against the ball and the safety WTF!!!

They're saving themselves for a break out year, next year.
Originally posted by tohara3:
We could replace him & the o-line coach & wouldn't hurt my feelings.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HearstFan:
You can teach even a pro football player how to catch the ball. Clearly someone worked with Vernon this off season to work on catching the ball with his hands better (instead of letting the ball into his body).

And its NOT just standing in front of that football throwing machine -- that helps, but it is really a 3 step process learning:
1. Hand position
2. "Soft hands"
3. Snatching hands

My old football coach pushed me to learn soft hands by learning how to set a volleyball. It requires a similar hand position to receiving a football, but you really need to receive the ball into your hands perfectly and develop concentration to watch the ball into your hands, and the finger, wrist, and forearm reflexes to do it well.

Next, in spring camp we worked on that same technique of soft hands, but with balls coming harder and harder. Trying to catch a fastball and still use "soft hands" develops the natural reflexes to catch the ball out in front as much as possible, and snatch it from the air.

You put it all together and you can keep your hands down so as not to tip off the DB, and really still snatch a ball from the air with fluidity and ease.

It made a world of difference and my catching the next season felt 100 times more natural and easy.

Vernon seems like a different catcher this season. He is much more fluid snatching the ball from the air, and watching the ball in with over the shoulder throws. I give him a lot of credit for dedicating himself to his craft. He still has moments when old habits come back, most noticably when the ball comes to him sooner than he expects.

Crabtree is a natural snatching the ball out of the air. By the way, Morgan seems to need some help in this area.

On a side note, this ability to snatch the ball really helps the QB too because it gives him a larger target area to throw too -- and he knows he can throw the ball early and you will still have the natural reactions to get the catch.

Thanks...exactly my point! These dudes don't learn over night! it takes time but lets see some progression and Jerry Sullivan isn't getting the job done.

• Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Yah he tells them to go out and drop passes.

well, he isn't showing any of our receivers how to catch, that's for sure. if this were 1-2 year issue, i would be ok with it but this has gone on for 3-4 years.
Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by tohara3:
We could replace him & the o-line coach & wouldn't hurt my feelings.
Who would replace him?

Jerry Rice come to mind
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Juniorminime:
Who would replace him?

Jerry Rice come to mind

Beautiful...but would he come here?
Can we offer Jerry Rice a receiving coach job?
Share 49ersWebzone