There are 167 users in the forums

Does Singletary only get 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by sachie23:
I think he'll get more than 1 year becasue I think the team will win enough games to keep him around. If they fall on their faces this year though, I really believe the Niners will make a run at Gruden, Shannahan, or Holmgren.
Doing something like that would be par for the course, (we didn't win enough games so lets get a new coach OC DC etc etc) that sets us back another 5 yrs.

lol just like parcells/sparano set miami back by taking them to the playoffs a year after going 1-15? how can anyone even think that any of those guys, all superbowl winning coaches, would be a setback? im not saying fire singletary no matter what if he doesnt make the playoffs with this team. but if we go 4-12 or we regress in a lot of areas then you cant say he is a better coach than any of those guys and its time to pull the plug.
I think it depends on how he fails (if he does).

If his brand of football is dull and uninspiring, as well as simply unsuccessful, that would hasten his departure. Sports are entertainment, after all, nothing more.

If the team gets worse and worse and adjustment aren't made then what choice would ownership have? An inflexible and unsuccessful coach is not a good coach.

If it becomes clear that his system will not work unless he is lucky enough to draft a large number of dominant players (unlikely), then they would have to move on and get a coach with a more realistic system.
If we fire McCoughlan chances are the new GM is going to want to bring in his guy so it is a possibility.

This is a question for a much later day though.
Originally posted by dublniklz:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
If Shaun Hill fails and the season is a loss, does Jed look to Holmgren, Shanahan, or Gruden to right the ship??

I'm starting to think if there aren't any playoffs this year, Sing could be on his way out.

I'm starting to think you don't know what you're talking about.

Oooo good one...
Originally posted by sachie23:
I think he'll get more than 1 year becasue I think the team will win enough games to keep him around. If they fall on their faces this year though, I really believe the Niners will make a run at Gruden, Shannahan, or Holmgren.

yup
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
I wouldn't mind scotty getting the boot...

alot of his picks are busts IMO...

we can use a new GM

X2
To answer your title question: NO!
nope
If coaches only get 1 year to fix this team then we'll never have a stable coach.

It seems that the spirit of previously banned posters have possessed some of our once sane vets.

The mood swings on the Zone are worst than those of Women, I swear.

• rob28
  • Veteran
holmgren or shanahan please!!! i like sing but our offense aint gonna get any better.
Give Singletary an NFL caliber starting QB and he would get 4 years
Personally I think if the team wins only 2-5 games he's gone 6-8 he gets another chance and if he goes 9 or more in our division that may mean a playoff spot and that buys him another 2-3 years
After the messes Gruden and Shanahaan left behind I cant believe guys here are calling for them to come and coach us. Oh wait I forgot I'm in NT where guys wanna cut and fire somebody every week
Share 49ersWebzone