There are 180 users in the forums

Does Singletary only get 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I think he'll get more than 1 year becasue I think the team will win enough games to keep him around. If they fall on their faces this year though, I really believe the Niners will make a run at Gruden, Shannahan, or Holmgren.
Originally posted by sachie23:
I think he'll get more than 1 year becasue I think the team will win enough games to keep him around. If they fall on their faces this year though, I really believe the Niners will make a run at Gruden, Shannahan, or Holmgren.

Doing something like that would be par for the course, (we didn't win enough games so lets get a new coach OC DC etc etc) that sets us back another 5 yrs.
He's going to get 2 more years and 2 more drafts. This upcoming years drafts is going to be huge for the organization. Sing needs a little time to build the team he wants and 2 years should be sufficient. The holes need to be filled but through 2 drafts and a little FA spending we can fill them.

OLB-draft
DT-draft
OG-draft
OT-draft
QB-This will be Sing and Jed's boy, not Nolan's!

We can fill all holes next April!
Originally posted by jreff22:
He's going to get 2 more years and 2 more drafts. This upcoming years drafts is going to be huge for the organization. Sing needs a little time to build the team he wants and 2 years should be sufficient. The holes need to be filled but through 2 drafts and a little FA spending we can fill them.

OLB-draft
DT-draft
OG-draft
OT-draft

come on homie to think that in one draft the team is gonna solve all it's problems is a little far fetched. Especially since didn't solve one single problem in this years draft. Not too mention the players drafted or gonna need time to develop. I agree he gets more than a year though.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by jreff22:

OLB-draft
DT-draft
OG-draft
OT-draft

come on homie to think that in one draft the team is gonna solve all it's problems is a little far fetched. Especially since didn't solve one single problem in this years draft. Not too mention the players drafted or gonna need time to develop. I agree he gets more than a year though.

I think Jed will expect better results then his daddy, which means Scotty will have to draft starters immediately. I see no problems why Sing wont get an OT and OG very quickly, considering he wants to play smash mouth. If we can trade back a little from one of our 1 spots and pick an additional 2nd we will be in a great spot to load on talent. I think Sing will know the issue spots and what he needs and I'm sure he will tell Scotty what to put on the shopping list.
Originally posted by WestCoast:
If Shaun Hill fails and the season is a loss, does Jed look to Holmgren, Shanahan, or Gruden to right the ship??

I'm starting to think if there aren't any playoffs this year, Sing could be on his way out.

I'm starting to think you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Kelv
  • Veteran
I was going to write that there's no way that Singeltary gets sacked after a year but obviously if we 0-16 that's a different matter...

Realistically he's got two to three years to make this team his own. The real test will be when he hang's his hat on a QB, says this is my guy and if they bomb, he's gone. Whether that's Hill, Smith or someone else it nearly always goes that way in the NFL. For example next year say he has an opportunity to pick a first round QB but he says Hill is his guy and Hill proves to be a failure then the Yorks will almost certainly say goodbye.

Somebody else made the point about not being enthralled by the offense and that too could make things tough if things don't go well. The 49ers are synonymous with offense and if we don't have an offense that looks like it could become top notch fans will start to grumble because we all think back to Montana; Young; Rice; etc because they were the glory days and that's what we want back. If we have a pedestrian offense I can imagine the heat will increase on Singeltary quicker than he thinks.

Anyway I think he will be as success but if I'm honest I really hope we've got a great offense with a top QB in three years time as part of that success.
Originally posted by Kelv:
I was going to write that there's no way that Singeltary gets sacked after a year but obviously if we 0-16 that's a different matter...

Realistically he's got two to three years to make this team his own. The real test will be when he hang's his hat on a QB, says this is my guy and if they bomb, he's gone. Whether that's Hill, Smith or someone else it nearly always goes that way in the NFL. For example next year say he has an opportunity to pick a first round QB but he says Hill is his guy and Hill proves to be a failure then the Yorks will almost certainly say goodbye.

Somebody else made the point about not being enthralled by the offense and that too could make things tough if things don't go well. The 49ers are synonymous with offense and if we don't have an offense that looks like it could become top notch fans will start to grumble because we all think back to Montana; Young; Rice; etc because they were the glory days and that's what we want back. If we have a pedestrian offense I can imagine the heat will increase on Singeltary quicker than he thinks.

Anyway I think he will be as success but if I'm honest I really hope we've got a great offense with a top QB in three years time as part of that success.

+1
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by sachie23:

Doing something like that would be par for the course, (we didn't win enough games so lets get a new coach OC DC etc etc) that sets us back another 5 yrs.

I don't think 5 years, not with those coaches. Again, I'm not saying I'm an advocate of it or I think it will happen but if the team went 3-13, I don't see how you can not consider on of those A list coaches.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I personally wouldn't base it on just making the playoffs ------ I really don't want to see any back-sliding on the win-loss record assuming key players stay healthy.

P.S. He did say we would have a pass rush I expect him to be a straight shooter on that.

Maybe if he dons pads and lines up next to Willis.

Singletary will get at least 2 years as well he should but the question is will Jimmy Raye get another year if the offense totally bombs like it did with Hostler?
  • Mex49
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
where did this 1 year come from?????

dude.....as many years as nolan, golden boy alice smith, and Scotty M got...they all failed so far...

It's not everyday that you have Holmgren, Shanahan and Gruden all available. They have undeniably more experience and success than Sing.

I wouldn't rule it out.

If we dont win, then we clean house.
If Holmgren is coming back as GM, he will call on his old high school friend, fellow San Franciscan, and the former OC of the Seahawks for the last nine years under him, and the man who got MH his first job at San Jose State; may I introduce to you
Gil Haskell

[ Edited by Mex49 on Aug 31, 2009 at 13:45:42 ]
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
The 49ers are a legit starting QB and Michael Crabtree (if he's as good as he thinks he is) from having a functional offense. Furthermore, they are a QB and pass rusher from the playoffs. As long as the team competes and is put in a position to win I don't see how you can blame the coaches if you don't have the talent to compete.
yes, it is very possible Singletary only gets this one full season.
  • Mex49
Originally posted by danimal:
yes, it is very possible Singletary only gets this one full season.

If the big speeches and the tough guy approach doesn't produce wins this year, will anybody be listening next year?

I doubt it
Share 49ersWebzone