Realistic Expectations for this season

• SoCold
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by alanbeez22:
Originally posted by Joecool:
11 wins!!!

Anything can happen if we have a top 10 defense!!!!!!!!!!!

i agree! people in the webzone are lowballing our own team... says alot about our own fans... no optimism at all!

Just like Baltimore did just let the D score all the points.

Yes, but Baltimore had a D that could pressure a QB and God forbid sack him.

9ers have 7 picks in three games only one team has more
+8 turnovers
Quote:
You have to know that you can run the football. I'm not trying to outsmart anybody, I'm not trying to be a magician, we are playing football and we need to be able to run the football

Does this quote worry anyone else? This may work in a pop warner league, but it won't get you far in the NFL
our defense is crap our offense is worse shaun hill looks lost our oline looks lost when hill drops back to pass our wr core aint that great our rb core is pretty good we have no pass rush at all i see us winin only 6 o 7 games just cuz we fired nolon dosnt make us a great team we are average at best
I read different media around the net and have yet to see something that says the Niners are better than 7 wins. Several have said 4 or 5. I know I am a homer and I don't have a problem with that, but am I dellusional too? I see us as 9-7, maybe win the West, get blown out in the 1st round.

Gore and running backs - Supposedly top 5 in the league
WR's - supposedly tons of depth and a few playmakers
TE - supposedly the most physically talented TE in the league
Staley - supposedly very good LT

Justin Smith - supposedly a good/great sack artist
Willis - the best/one of the best LB's in the league
Lawson - supposedly great cover LB with tremendous speed to get to the QB
Haralyson - supposedly great at providing QB pressure
Clements - supposedly "lockdown"
Bly - supposedly very big playmaker

This is talent at 10 of the 20 positions on the field at any time. (WR as 2).

If you've got above average/very good/great players at half the spots and at least average everywhere else shouldn't we be way better?? Am I just a pathetic homer or are we sceretly going to have a great year and the rest of the football world has no idea yet?

too many supposedlys in there that should answer your question
Originally posted by bigmur49:
I read different media around the net and have yet to see something that says the Niners are better than 7 wins. Several have said 4 or 5. I know I am a homer and I don't have a problem with that, but am I dellusional too? I see us as 9-7, maybe win the West, get blown out in the 1st round.

Gore and running backs - Supposedly top 5 in the league
WR's - supposedly tons of depth and a few playmakers
TE - supposedly the most physically talented TE in the league
Staley - supposedly very good LT

Justin Smith - supposedly a good/great sack artist
Willis - the best/one of the best LB's in the league
Lawson - supposedly great cover LB with tremendous speed to get to the QB
Haralyson - supposedly great at providing QB pressure
Clements - supposedly "lockdown"
Bly - supposedly very big playmaker

This is talent at 10 of the 20 positions on the field at any time. (WR as 2).

If you've got above average/very good/great players at half the spots and at least average everywhere else shouldn't we be way better?? Am I just a pathetic homer or are we sceretly going to have a great year and the rest of the football world has no idea yet?

funny
That was kind of my point. In my mind they are supposed to be good. Are they not actually good? Our D has a bunch of names on it (Justin Smith, Lawson, Haralyson, Bly etc) but are any of them ACTUALLY good, or just names?? Clements is the one I am least sure about, I don't think he is really bad, but is he above avg even?
The word of the day "supposedly".
I am really beginning to like the underdog role we are being given around the league. This will help give this team a bit of extra motivation. This is going to be a very tough & exciting year I think.
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
The word of the day "supposedly".

this
Most national media types seem to have us right around .500. They think we are pretty good but not quite there yet. I can understand how they would think that. The team still has some question marks and some flaws, and is probably still a year away. The QB question has to be answered and the offensive line and pass rush still need to be addressed. Plus the schedule is pretty tough with the Colts, Titans, Eagles, Vikings, Falcons, Bears, and Packers outside the division. I don't think anyone would be shocked if the Niners finished 9 -7 though.
Originally posted by tohara3:
I am really beginning to like the underdog role we are being given around the league. This will help give this team a bit of extra motivation. This is going to be a very tough & exciting year I think.

We've had that role for the past 6 years. Hasn't done us any good.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Don't say that we all know what commentators say about the niners iw what's gonna decide if this team is good or bad. It has nothing to do with talent and coaching. It's all about being an underdog.
Originally posted by tjd808185:

True! We are gonna have to prove ourselves against the good teams not just our division.
Thread title fail.