Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by danimal:
DJ43 -
I actually think ALL teams are flawed in todays NFL. Even the top 5 or 6 who are in the Championship talks, none of of those teams are perfect to me.
Again, I just think the VERY worst place to be flawed is at QB
Yep. I recall Steve Young last year saying there are only 8-10 teams in the league that could be considered solid at the QB spot. The rest could never win the big games because of that reason.
And that is the reason I have backed off from my original 8-8 to 7-9. I just don't believe that the 49ers can win once opponents realize that Hill can't burn them long. They will load the box with eight or nine defenders, shut down the run, cover the short zones and dare Hill to throw up a rainbow.
I am not sold on Smith but in this offense, I believe his greater arm strength and, at least the threat of the deep ball, will be more effective. He was throwing it better than Hill in camp.
And NO, I won't go into another Alex Smit discussion. That is my one and only statement on him.
I think of a typical NFL season like this in terms of QB's
A.
10-15(usually about 12) Teams are set at QB. They are good enough and barring injuries are set for the next few years at least. I include the elite QB's in this group also
B.
5-7 Teams are satisfied with their QB. They are not looking to replace him anytime soon, they have a value contract and usually excel in other areas so they hope to win by QB management
C.
5-10 Teams looking for suns not to set or suns to rise. They either have a once great QB and are hoping for a revival season. Or they have a young kid with promise or at least a fat paycheck, and basically have to see development seasons out
D.
5-7 Teams are stuck with a bad QB. These teams are usually in some kind of limbo. Maybe they can't afford a new investment into a big name QB. Maybe the over estimate their other areas, maybe they over estimate their QB's. Maybe ownership can't decide to start a new rebuild or not or keep fans happy with 7 to 9 win seasons
I think the 2005-2007 Niners were group C, since then they have been group D.
At the risk of a thread jack, but just gain some perspective on your POV; who do you consider elite QBs and who are the ones good enough to contribute to winning a Super Bowl if the talent around them is good?
I don't think this is thread jacking, because 90% of the pundits lay 90% of their pessimism solely on the QB position.
my .02
Group A 12
Elites:
Brady, Brees, Peyton, Rivers
Goods:
McNabb, Roeth, Eli, Palmer, Romo, Rodgers, Warner, Cutler
Group B 5
Collins, Delhomme, Hasselbeck, Schaub, Pennington
Group C 9
Flacco, Ryan, Favre(sunset), Sanchez, Edwards, Cassel, Russell, Quinn, Stafford
Group D 6
Garrard, Hill, Orton, Leftwich, Bulger, Campbell
[ Edited by danimal on Sep 8, 2009 at 15:30:21 ]