There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Realistic Expectations for this season

Too many supposedly's and Potentials on your team will get you what we have now, NO RESPECT from the league.
I know we are better than 4-5. I'd say 7 at the least, 9 at the most. If we make the playoffs I doubt we get blown out because our style of play will mean lots of lot scoring or at least close ball games.
The talent on the team is maturing we have a chance to have a defense that is in the Top 10. Great depth at RB and are TE will do much better in this system. Our problem is at QB. Hill and Smith are not going to get us to the SB I don’t even know if they can get us to the play offs. We have talent at WR however there are some throws that Hill just cannot make thus limiting the effectiveness of our WR and offense as a whole.

We make the playoffs it is because Gore runs for 1700+ yards, are defense creates turnovers and is rated in the Top 10. Unfortunately I think we end up 6-10 or 7-9.
awesome thread as usual

[ Edited by Dino on Sep 3, 2009 at 01:43:40 ]
7 wins = Singletary fired.
Originally posted by nflguy49:

And Holmgren hired
Saw Barrows prediction but I think the DL choices need to change, I would drop two or three DL and keep RJF. I think Evans, Franklin and Sopoaga should be considered superfluous. I do not know just who is more effective but Sopoaga is like a tree stump doing the tongan stomp and Franklin is just too weak. Supposedly Sopoaga was pretty quick but to me he moves like a glacier. I think between Balmer and RJF, the team would do better. I suppose cutting two NT might be extreme but I think cutting Evans and Franklin or Sopoaga would work.

he's handcuffed by his qb's. Seriously we have the weakest starter in the league than Smith off the bench. That's threatening lol. If we do turn out that way, Odds are Smith is gone too...if not traded this year and maybe we can get Gruden off of his hiatus.

Back to topic of thread...I think 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibilities. I hope the defense plays better and gets a pass rush. P-willy playing every down will help that. Lets face it gentlemen and ladies. This is a QB driven league and we have a weak arse set and have for years. I am excited to see Nate on Sunday. Go Niners!!

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - L
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - L
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - L

[ Edited by ninerfan818 on Sep 4, 2009 at 00:06:13 ]
Originally posted by 49ersBest1:
The word of the day "supposedly".

Originally posted by ninerfan818:

he's handcuffed by his qb's. Seriously we have the weakest starter in the league than Smith off the bench. That's threatening lol. If we do turn out that way, Odds are Smith is gone too...if not traded this year and maybe we can get Gruden off of his hiatus.

Back to topic of thread...I think 6-10 is not out of the realm of possibilities. I hope the defense plays better and gets a pass rush. P-willy playing every down will help that. Lets face it gentlemen and ladies. This is a QB driven league and we have a weak arse set and have for years. I am excited to see Nate on Sunday. Go Niners!!

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - L
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - L
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - L

Wow, 1-7 for away, that is pretty bad. I say we take both STL games, and we are going to get the cards once for 8-8... While not the greatest, anything more than 7 wins would be great!
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
8-8 realistically, 6-10 wouldn't surprise me. But if Warner and or Hasselback miss significant time we could win the division by default. Basically injuries to others are the only hope.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Fame
Playoffs

That’s realistic

Any team any years can make the playoffs don’t care what the record is or how it’s done I would like to see a playoff spot.
9-7wildcard berth in the playoffs only because the nature of the game is unpredictable.10-6,IMO is not far out of reach. The NINERS schedule is a good mix of good and bad teams.atl g/b colts bears philly and maybe the vik's are the toughest looking on the schedule.Although aged the seahawks might split a game with the NINERS.All it takes is a injury to a key player on any team and it opens the doors open to possibly get into the post's.How many of us honestly keep track of the other 31 teams on a consistent basis other than watching espn?I know a few of you do but I bet about 80% of us(including myself don't).I know its been several years since we had a decent team but those are the breaks.To some it may look like we may expect some of the same,but I think we may be one of those teams that goes under the radar and makes it to the post's.Atl and the card's did it.So i'm both optomistic and realistic about our chances of making the playoffs.IMHO
A week or two ago I was thinking 8-8, maybe 9-7. Now im thinking 6-10, maybe 7-9 at best.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:

@Cardinals - L
Seahawks - W
@Vikings - L
Rams - W
Falcons - L
BYE
@Texans - W
@Colts - L
Titans - L
Bears - W
@Packers - L
Jaguars - W
@Seahawks - L
Cardinals - L
@Eagles - L
Lions - W
@Rams - L

So was Martz. That didn't save his job and it shouldn't save Singletary's. Lets not forget that Singletary fired Martz, hired Raye and then waited until just before the 3rd preseason gtame to decide on a starter. Fair or not Singletary will be one and done if this team doesn't make the playoffs or at least reach 9 wins. There are too many head coaches available that happen to be proven winners (Shanahan and Holmgren etc etc).

Singletary might have more time had he been a new hire with little knowledge of the team since in that case a rebuilding season would be expected. But he isn't new to the 49ers. He was our assistant HEAD COACH for 3.5 years. He served as HC for the 2nd half of last season. He wins now or he steps aside for someone who can get the job done.