LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Hope she's right...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't mind vanilla but would prefer it sprinkle with those little candies
Originally posted by BigRon:

I prefer reese pieces.
After watching the last game I have decided to hold judgement until the reg season. I was getting upset over the lack of pass rush, and especially Nate's play over the last couple of games; then I watched the game last night and the D line looked like they were pushing practice sleds. Nobody relly looked like they were trying anything other than just one on one pushing drills. That and along with the coaches saying that we are not relly runnung any plays makes me think that we will see alot more come zona time. At least that is what i hope. PEACE FROM THE FAN
  • Mex49
Originally posted by 49ers1fan1982:
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Hey, I actually found that (turned out to be Alex Smith's) statement from 2007:

Originally posted by Matt Barrows:
Sure, you can argue that Frank Gore's return will buoy the team. And that the 49ers featured their most vanilla offense these last two games in an effort to hide their cards from the Cards. But as Alex Smith noted after the game, the vanilla offense also is San Francisco's base offense. If they can't run that effectively, all the bells and whistles they throw in against Arizona won't amount to much.

LINK

But hey, it's just preseason, right?

Thats depressing and scary

and rude, I might add
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by BigRon:

I prefer reese pieces.

Milky Way FTW!!!!!!!!!
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I think we have kept it vanilla, but that could be the homer in me...

It's not that it isn't true. It's just that same crap has been said last year, and the year before and so on

It's getting old.

I feel ya. Like I said I hope its the truth. Before TC started I recall Sing or Manusky saying they have some really exotic blitz packages this year so I better see them in the regular season.

You know, if there's something I'm good at is remembering stuff. And I remember during the 2007 preseason people using the vanilla excuse to explain the poor performance of Hostler's offense saying that he did not open the playbook (Nolan seconded that, naturally).

Then came Smith or Hill and said this (more or less): "It's true that is a bit vanilla. At the same time, that's our base offense. If we can't execute that, we'll be in trouble when it's time to open up the playbook".

Prophetic, huh?

EXACT-F'ING-LY! There is no reason to believe that once they start using the "normal" playbook, that they are going to suddenly become a great team. If they can't block, it doesn't matter if Belichick was calling the plays, they wouldn't have enough time to execute them. It's about execution, and right now Shaun Hill is not Maybe he needs a fire lit under his ass to perform well. Maybe a lightbulb will go on in his head when the regular season starts. Let us pray.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by tulliman:
Hill threw like PUKE against DAL.

I blame it on our front office. They were so stuck on wanting Smith to win the job they had a lousy QB competition. As MM points out Hill's timing is majorly off with down the field routes and most his completions are short dump offs.

Then again he did have a sore back, I just hope he gets all the work he needs the next two weeks.

I thought he did poorly on all but 1 throw. Just me.
Preseason = Vanilla
Originally posted by SixRingsOneTeam:
I'm going to choose to keep the positive attitude. I think we are going to surprise the Cardinals on September 13th and I fully expect Crabtree to be in uniform wearing #15. As for the QB situation, I've said it once and I will say it again. Alex Smith is a better QB then Shaun Hill. He has more upside, stronger arm, can get outside the pocket. Now, with that being said, I've been very impressed with Nate Davis. This guy looks like a steal of the draft! Very poised for a rookie and the sky's the limit with this kid in my opinion. Still need to see him facing the 1st stringers.

Welcome.

Illegitimi non carborundum.
If you are not showing all you got in preseason, why would you say you are not showing all you got in preseason?

Kind of defeats the purpose of tricking the other teams.

Wouldn't it be better to say, "Yep, we showing everything, but our guys are just not getting it done."

Originally posted by smithgdwg:
If you are not showing all you got in preseason, why would you say you are not showing all you got in preseason?

Kind of defeats the purpose of tricking the other teams.

Wouldn't it be better to say, "Yep, we showing everything, but our guys are just not getting it done."

What do you mean by "all you got"? Do you mean like "blitzing 7 men every down"?

It's not about "tricking other teams", it's about not revealing schemes and defensive stunts to opponents that you're gameplanning against. We would'nt want them to see our playbook on film before the actual season starts, would we?

This team cannot afford to give anyone any kind of advantage.
Preseason is supposed to be vanilla. It is no excuse for throwing bad or not putting pressure on the QB. The other teams are calling vanilla plays too. I really haven't seen any exotic blitzes coming from other teams. I do see the running backs missing blocks though.
Originally posted by hofer36:

I blame it on our front office. They were so stuck on wanting Smith to win the job they had a lousy QB competition. As MM points out Hill's timing is majorly off with down the field routes and most his completions are short dump offs.

Then again he did have a sore back, I just hope he gets all the work he needs the next two weeks.

of course, if that was said regarding alex smith it would be an alexcuse...maybe shaun hill just isnt that good

yet Hill has won 7 out of 10 NFL starts Pennington has proven if you manage the game and don't turn the ball over you can lead a team to the playoffs.

Everyone for years has said Hill is not a good practice player. For all his downs he can have equal good plays. If we stick with him we know what we have. A guy that makes some plays at the right time, but is nothing more special than that. I think what he has done the last two years he deserves to start and we will see where he takes us.

This is as lame as the Smith apologist with the coordinator per year answer.
Right about now I could go for some of those sprinkles.

We have three crappy QBs and a rookie. I guess we'll go with the game
manager then. Tell me, why did we let Dilfer go? He must not have
been good at handoffs .

I think I need a nap.
Share 49ersWebzone