LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 303 users in the forums

Hope she's right...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by frenchmov:
hilarious.

just like us, every other team is playing vanilla too. so if our vanilla can't beat their vanilla, then it stands to reason that our "real" offense isn't going to fare any better against their real defense.

All homerism aside weve had one playaction pass and once have we blitzed 7 men(against the Faiders). While other teams have been vanilla, weve been real vanilla. I believe it when I see it though, I really hope we step it up for the season.
  • SixRingsOneTeam
  • Info N/A
I'm going to choose to keep the positive attitude. I think we are going to surprise the Cardinals on September 13th and I fully expect Crabtree to be in uniform wearing #15. As for the QB situation, I've said it once and I will say it again. Alex Smith is a better QB then Shaun Hill. He has more upside, stronger arm, can get outside the pocket. Now, with that being said, I've been very impressed with Nate Davis. This guy looks like a steal of the draft! Very poised for a rookie and the sky's the limit with this kid in my opinion. Still need to see him facing the 1st stringers.

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I have to tend to believe that it true due to the lack of play action's(which Raye's offense is notorious for) and the lack of stunts and blitz's by the defense. If it's not the truth we will have another frustrating year IMO.

If you listen to the halftime interview she states that and Sing does confirm it but hopefully it's just not being used as an excuse. Just wondering if anyone else caught that and if not what do you think?

I think we have kept it vanilla, but that could be the homer in me...

vanilla or not the only ones who have scored td's are nate and alex. nate period has outthrown each qb. 3rd string or not, he hits the numbers, hill is not. my point vanilla or not move the chains! its not happening at all for hill during pre season. what makes us think if hill can't move the chains in preseason he will during the season!
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 30, 2009 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
According to Kim Koyle of CBS 5, Singletary told her in the pre-game meetings that we have been and are going to keep the offense and defense very vanilla all preseason and aren't going to show our hand. I really hope thats the truth and that we have a better pass rush and passing game.

I have to tend to believe that it true due to the lack of play action's(which Raye's offense is notorious for) and the lack of stunts and blitz's by the defense. If it's not the truth we will have another frustrating year IMO.

If you listen to the halftime interview she states that and Sing does confirm it but hopefully it's just not being used as an excuse. Just wondering if anyone else caught that and if not what do you think?

vanilla or not the only ones who have scored td's are nate and alex. nate period has outthrown each qb. 3rd string or not, he hits the numbers, hill is not. my point vanilla or not move the chains! its not happening at all for hill during pre season. what makes us think if hill can't move the chains in preseason he will during the season!

I agree on the Davis front. Hill on the other hand has always practiced and played terrible in the preseason but steps it up (somehow) when the games count. I would hold of on Davis till next year but he SHOULD be our starter next year forsure. The kid looks and throws the part. Great presence in the pocket and has a rocket arm.
I hope we come out & throw the book at the Cardinals! Come on regular season!
Hill threw like PUKE against DAL.
  • Crab5
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by tulliman:

Which should have everyone concerned at this point. This might be the preseason and the offense was "vanilla", but so is everyone else. The expectation would have been to see a sharp and crisp group for the 1st teamers since they will not see any more play time for the preseason. Not the way the starter would want to wrap up the preseason in this manner.

I blame it on our front office. They were so stuck on wanting Smith to win the job they had a lousy QB competition. As MM points out Hill's timing is majorly off with down the field routes and most his completions are short dump offs.

Then again he did have a sore back, I just hope he gets all the work he needs the next two weeks.
I wasn't sure when Hill won the starting job, but it is starting to look to me like Smith might be the better QB, he looked as good as Hill after missing 18 months with a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder. Hill looks to have regressed from his level of play last year, he needs to spread the ball around more and quit being so indecisive. He has been missing his targets badly for the past two games, and you cannot blame that on play calling, hell Smith was at least putting it where the receivers could get their hands on the ball. All these problems Hill is having now are things that a lot of you guys were slamming Smith for, it just further goes to prove how high the level of hypocrisy is here on the zone.
  • soao
  • Veteran
I can see running vanilla if you are an established team with continuity with coordinators and systems. Our D at least had the 2nd half of last season and this is the 3rd year of Manusky. Since we change coordinators and offensive systems every year, I don't like playing vanilla during preseason. We'll only get the first half of the first game of the opposition not knowing our tendencies. I'd rather our qb's know what they are doing than trying to hide our plays. It's not about plays, it's about execution. Last year Nolan held out JTO for the last preseason game. JTO later struggled with Martz's playbook. I say if it's a new system, we can't practice it enough.

but isnt it also true that the niners preseason opponents are playing vanilla too---
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:

It's not that it isn't true. It's just that same crap has been said last year, and the year before and so on.

It's getting old.

I feel ya. Like I said I hope its the truth. Before TC started I recall Sing or Manusky saying they have some really exotic blitz packages this year so I better see them in the regular season.

I'm sorry, but maybe we go from Vanilla to French Vanilla. Shotputter, I mean Shaun Hill can't throw anything deep or a deep out without giving the opposing defender a good chance. Maybe opening it up, means the Taser or bringing Coffee in with Frank so that the opposing defense needs to bring the 9th guy into the box.

As for defense, we'll drop our LBs and bring our CBs and Safeties to blitz. That ought to have significant effect on the game.
Originally posted by hofer36:
but isnt it also true that the niners preseason opponents are playing vanilla too---

this is true, and we are beating them, so that is optimistic
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I blame it on our front office. They were so stuck on wanting Smith to win the job they had a lousy QB competition. As MM points out Hill's timing is majorly off with down the field routes and most his completions are short dump offs.

Then again he did have a sore back, I just hope he gets all the work he needs the next two weeks.

of course, if that was said regarding alex smith it would be an alexcuse...maybe shaun hill just isnt that good
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by global_nomad:

of course, if that was said regarding alex smith it would be an alexcuse...maybe shaun hill just isnt that good

Please refrain from using logic in these forums. Thank you.
Share 49ersWebzone