Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Should Hill Really be our starter?

Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by eac49er23:
im watching the game again and hill's throws look so funny

ya and so do Alex's 30 yards over the receivers head

i havent seen those, but when he did throw the balls high, the only person who seemed to catch them were antonio bryant

i havent seen those, but when he did throw the balls high, the only person who seemed to catch them were antonio bryant

dan castellaneta
Originally posted by linkboy:

dan castellaneta

he does Homer's voice, no?
  • rob28
  • Veteran
as i watch the replay im waiting to see why hill looked so bad. besides the one terrible throw on the pump fake its been the o-line not giving hill time to throw.
I'm gonna remain optomistic.The 49ers will get to the playoffs this season.Hill will start unless he is unhealthy,Davis becomes the backup and I date one of the GOLD RUSH CHEERLEADERS! NUFF SAID
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:

Reality includes the facts that our best offensive player and our best defensive player have barely played yet. You think Nate Clements is going to play a casual 10 yards off every receiver once the real season begins? You think the play calling on both sides of the ball might come in flavors other than vanilla? Sure, there are things to worry about. Even the Patriots worry. Both there are also things to e optimistic about.

Our best offensive player is a RB. If our passing attack sucks, opposing defenses will continue to do what they've done the past few years, stack the box.

Willis is just a stud, can't argue that point.

And yes, Nate will be lining up 10yds off the WRs during the regular season because he's did it last season, and the season before that. Its part of the scheme Manusky is running. Why, I have no idea.

As for the playcalling, its not just us that's been vanilla, the opposing teams are as well and they're still playing better then our starters. That doesn't seem like a problem to you. Its still a level playing field and we're still getting beat.

Am I optomistic about things, yes. Coffee and Sheets look great, Davis has potential to be a great QB (if we develop him right). However, I'm not going to just gloss over things like a lot of people do on both this board and the official board.

Yeah, we pretty much agree.
  • DROB
  • Info N/A
I love what big Mike is doin giving you non knowing football fans what you want Hill can not get the the ball there and if he gives us our best chance to win then 4-12 here we come
I just watched the first half of the Dallas game. I don't get to see the 49ers play very much, so I usually just follow online. I gotta say, Hill is not impressive. He does not look like an nfl QB. Nothing on the throws at all. I expected him to be lights out in the short game, but he wasn't even all that good there. I hope my sample size of one game proves to be the outlier, but I think the 49ers will struggle if that is all Hill brings to the game. Other teams will definitely be able to shut down his game.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
after all the months of "Hill should start! he deserves it!" we now get, "should he really be starting?"

lets see how he does when the games count.

according to sing every
game counts!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Natewillis2252:
Originally posted by fan49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by fan49:
He hasn't shown any inkling of being a starter all pre-season. This is not a thread about alex or davis being the starter. Simply' its about Hill not showing any sign of being an nfl starter. Last year he did go 7-3. I almost promise none of those teams were in the top 15 d. So share opinion if you like, but should shaun hill be our starter or are you nervous?

what rank was the Redskin's defense last year?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2009&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

try 4th

there not 4th! check again
theres no f**kin way check what you input in the top
  • fan49
  • Veteran
So who should be our starter, neither QB has looked impressive, Davis, against 3rd string / guys getting cut? I don't think so.

Alex and Shaun, when you compare the way they've been passing they both even out, but at least Shaun can bring better leadership, toughness, and a better understanding of the game.

Trade for a QB, now? No way, we would be better off with Davis starting if that was the case...yes Shaun Hill should be starter, for at least the first 3-4 games of the season, if the fails, hand it off to Alex, and so on...

people are ignorant if they think davis plays well just against 3rd strings. im not taking credit for this cause someone else said it earlier nate has had the least amount of snaps during off season. and guess what he has way more poise accuracy, and movement than any qb on our roster. 3rd string or not he is the only one moving the chains, hitting the numbers, and throwing extremely well on the run. no one can say that about hill or smith!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
can someone please explain, whether important game or not if someone can't move the chains or score a td during preseason. How could he during the regular season?

vanilla offense, do you think the defenses were playing are showing all there defensive packages. I think not... so the vanilla offense excuse goes right out the door!
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 30, 2009 at 5:47 PM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
any way we look at it hills performance has been terrible. and the webzone has spoke acc. to the poll, based on his performance he has not solidified his spot in the eyes of the zone!
Here's the most important stat you need to know:

Shaun Hill Turnovers = 0

For Christ's sake, do you guys even remember the last 4 years? Having a quaterback that doesn't single handedly LOOSE US THE GAME is in itself an improvement. I swore after JTO'fumbles I would never complain about the 49ers having a conservative QB who was smart with the football, even if our offense was mediocre as a result. Were not good enough to take risks and win games on superior talent. The only way were going to win 8+ games is to eliminate our mistakes and hopefully take advantage of other teams mistakes.

All the QB threads on here it's like if the guy doesn't throw a touchdown pass it's the end of the world, and if he throws 2 touchdowns he's the new Joe Montana.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home