Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by linkboy:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
So it looks like we are drafting a QB in 2010!

Too bad no one on the 49ers knows how to develop a QB.

Someone tell Mike Holmgren to brush the cheetos off his 'stache and come back home where he belongs.

After watching Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez etc etc I am holding the opinion that a kid either has it or doesn't. This whole let him sit for 2-3 years s**t isn't holding water anymore. A lot of kids are coming in day 1 and preforming without sitting on the damn bench. If the kid has talent he can take the reins and run, we just need to find that kid.

Tell that to Steve Young.

He could of been playing much earlier if Montana had retired. Having 2 HOF QB's on an active roster is rare..like really rare. We don't have an all pro QB starting with a young kid watching.

Ryan will make the pro bowl this year and he spent 0 time "watching and learning".

And the thing with Ryan is that QBs like that are rare. For every rookie that steps in and plays great, there's a ton more that start as rookies and play horrible.

Very true but:
Ryan started quick
Flacco started quick
Quinn (I'm expecting big things from him)
Cutler started quick
Manning started quick
Roethlisberger started quick

It does happen and the past 5-10 years has had more 1st round success with QB's then busts.
Nate Davis after the game "I Want To Be A Leader"
Disclaimer: didn't see the game. However, I'm not sure if the 49ers would be running their full offense in the preseason (when they usually keep things pretty vanilla on both offense and defense). I'll have to check out the game replay on NFL Network. Regardless, thanks for all your opinions in this thread. It's provided some interesting reading.
[ Edited by SoCal9er on Aug 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM ]

Someone tell Mike Holmgren to brush the cheetos off his 'stache and come back home where he belongs.

After watching Ryan, Flacco, Sanchez etc etc I am holding the opinion that a kid either has it or doesn't. This whole let him sit for 2-3 years s**t isn't holding water anymore. A lot of kids are coming in day 1 and preforming without sitting on the damn bench. If the kid has talent he can take the reins and run, we just need to find that kid.

He could of been playing much earlier if Montana had retired. Having 2 HOF QB's on an active roster is rare..like really rare. We don't have an all pro QB starting with a young kid watching.

Ryan will make the pro bowl this year and he spent 0 time "watching and learning".

Sorry, but Young didn't play well until Walsh got his mitts on him. He was a project QB and it took him a while before he got "it". Coaching is just as much a factor as anything else. If what you say is true then Montana would have started from day one. Fortunately, Walsh knew better.

We don't have Walsh, so we need a kid with day 1 starting ability. Walsh is one of those once in a multiple decade guys....I don't see one on the horizon. It comes down to scouting and the draft at this point.

And the thing with Ryan is that QBs like that are rare. For every rookie that steps in and plays great, there's a ton more that start as rookies and play horrible.

Very true but:
Ryan started quick
Flacco started quick
Cutler started quick
Manning started quick

It does happen and the past 5-10 years has had more 1st round success with QB's then busts.

agreed, but I think it varies widely with the state of the team when the rookie is brought in... i.e. Stafford's situation versus Sanchez....

Ryan and Flacco inherited playoff ready teams, as did Roethlisberger... Manning took a little bit to get situated, as Quinn and Cutler (I mean a year or two) The niners are in no position to hhave a rookie QB, with no real #1 WR, a semi-porous OLine, and a top 15 defense... therefore, it would be wisest to sit Nate, and learn a little bit. Although I still feel that Hill will be around for a bit... He did have a bad game today, but every QB has one of those!
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by Chief:
I really can't blame Hill at all, our starting receivers got zero separation and the oline looked like complete s**t.

Our entire starting offense looked bad.

Defense play well but still lacked pass rush.

Haha, and there it is... hypocrisy at it's finest. It's all Alexcuses if the OL or receivers fail to do their job... but somehow legit reasons for Shaun Hill's lackluster accomplishment.

When Hill starts being a liability during the regular season like Smith has in the past then you can compare the two.

Other than his rookie season, when was Smith a liability? He had a decent season in 06 and the Niners were 2-1 when he went down in 07 (one of those wins being a drive he engineered to beat the Cardinals). If you mean he was a liability when he had a separated shoulder than I agree. Otherwise, no. I admit he was only sporadically a game-changer, but to say he was a liability is just revisionist history.
By the way, where's Jason Hill?

While Battle has been starting with the first team, Hill has been relegated to playing time only in the 4th quarter.

Supposedly, he has had an unimpressive camp and has been completely absent in all of preseason.

-9fA

Young was being viewed by many as a bust while playing for a horrible Tampa Bay team. That's the reason Walsh picked him up so easily.
Originally posted by BHulman:

Other than his rookie season, when was Smith a liability? He had a decent season in 06 and the Niners were 2-1 when he went down in 07 (one of those wins being a drive he engineered to beat the Cardinals). If you mean he was a liability when he had a separated shoulder than I agree. Otherwise, no. I admit he was only sporadically a game-changer, but to say he was a liability is just revisionist history.

Exactly right... Alex was no outstanding producer, but he was learning as he went while doing enough with a team lacking talent in some key areas. Seems like all this lost time due to injury has exaggerated his struggles for some, and marked him as the easy target for fan's frustrations of losing seasons.
Originally posted by Icelandic49er:
Nate Davis after the game "I Want To Be A Leader"

hellz yea

f**k shaun hill, good guy but horrible mechanics

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
By the way, where's Jason Hill?

While Battle has been starting with the first team, Hill has been relegated to playing time only in the 4th quarter.

Supposedly, he has had an unimpressive camp and has been completely absent in all of preseason.

-9fA

he got interfered with, which led us to a victory lol
I really can't blame Hill at all, our starting receivers got zero separation and the oline looked like complete s**t.

Haha, and there it is... hypocrisy at it's finest. It's all Alexcuses if the OL or receivers fail to do their job... but somehow legit reasons for Shaun Hill's lackluster accomplishment.

When Hill starts being a liability during the regular season like Smith has in the past then you can compare the two.

LOL it still amazes me to no end that people still cannot comprehend that those stretch of shtty games in 2007 that Smith played was with a INJURED SHOULDER.

Seriously...talk about epic fail. Rag on mechanics, playing style, etc, thats fine. But when you bring up those games to use against Smith...you're a bust as a poster.
Originally posted by SJniner7:

Very true but:
Ryan started quick
Flacco started quick
Cutler started quick
Manning started quick

agreed, but I think it varies widely with the state of the team when the rookie is brought in... i.e. Stafford's situation versus Sanchez....

Ryan and Flacco inherited playoff ready teams, as did Roethlisberger... Manning took a little bit to get situated, as Quinn and Cutler (I mean a year or two) The niners are in no position to hhave a rookie QB, with no real #1 WR, a semi-porous OLine, and a top 15 defense... therefore, it would be wisest to sit Nate, and learn a little bit. Although I still feel that Hill will be around for a bit... He did have a bad game today, but every QB has one of those!

I honestly don't think from a team standpoint we are that far off. Look at the positives we were a top 15 D and can probably still be. Our holes are OLB, NT, QB, RT we can fix every one of those with 1 draft..maybe 2 and a few FA's. We have a pretty good OL at this point, good RB's, hopefully good WR's (with Crabs), strong HC and like previously said good D. And we play in a weak div...this can be done in 2 years with the right QB.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Here we are 3rd preseason game done and I for one haven't seen much from any of our receivers. Is it due to the receivers not getting any separation ,or bad route running? Possibly bad play calling as well,or the o-line and the pass protection? Or just bad QB play? I personally see it as a combination of all of the above and if that's truly the case its gonna be a long season. Any thoughts or opinions?

Please don't mention anything about Crabtree he's not even a part of the team...yet
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:

LOL it still amazes me to no end that people still cannot comprehend that those stretch of shtty games in 2007 that Smith played was with a INJURED SHOULDER.

Seriously...talk about epic fail. Rag on mechanics, playing style, etc, thats fine. But when you bring up those games to use against Smith...you're a bust as a poster.

I wasn't even taking 2007 into account when talking about how terrible a quarterback he was. Tim Rattay performed better with much less than Smith ever has and he's not even in the league anymore. His stretch of s**tty games started when he entered the league, not 2007.
Share 49ersWebzone