There are 142 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Offensive post-game analysis (week 3)

I'm surprised no one has called out Morgan, he's been absolutely horrible.
Shaun hill is really dissapointing me. all i heard was things how he managed the game, march the team down the field, etc. he hasnt played well in any game this preseason. he played well last year but im starting to wonder whether he was just a byproduct of martz and teams arent leaving the short routes open and hes unwilling to throw the intermediate-long routes. he doesnt have one single touchdown so far. he doesnt throw to the recievers. i want to know what the hell happened to the guy from last year. i also think we better keep alex smith ready and get him some snaps in the chargers game because we may need him.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Ok, I tried to be positive about Hill, but come on people. He looked terrible again tonight, we need QB help. At this rate, I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws to the receivers. Our offensive line needs to figure out pass blocking asap or it won't matter who is taking snaps though.

Totally agree, Hill is a backup, not a starter. Smith should be the starter.

Based on what? Nothing.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Shaun hill is really dissapointing me. all i heard was things how he managed the game, march the team down the field, etc. he hasnt played well in any game this preseason. he played well last year but im starting to wonder whether he was just a byproduct of martz and teams arent leaving the short routes open and hes unwilling to throw the intermediate-long routes. he doesnt have one single touchdown so far. he doesnt throw to the recievers. i want to know what the hell happened to the guy from last year. i also think we better keep alex smith ready and get him some snaps in the chargers game because we may need him.

No, we might need an O-line that can pass block for longer than 2.5 seconds
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws at or in the general vicinity of the receivers.

Fixed it for you.

Haha...funny GoJD, but all kidding aside, Smith has looked more accurate than Hill so far this preseason. I know you guys hate Smith, and I never said the guy was a great QB, but he isn't any worse than Hill, and Smith does throw it down the field more than Hill. If Hill continues to play the way he has so far, we are going to have a Hostler like offense with the defense taking away the short stuff and making Gores job much more difficult.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Ok, I tried to be positive about Hill, but come on people. He looked terrible again tonight, we need QB help. At this rate, I would just as soon have Smith in, at least he throws to the receivers. Our offensive line needs to figure out pass blocking asap or it won't matter who is taking snaps though.

Based on what? Nothing.

Based on the fact he throws to the receivers and is more accurate than Hill has looked thus far. Not saying he is great, but Hill has looked really bad so far. You guys slam Smith for his inaccuracy but Hill is doing even worse.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

No, we might need an O-line that can pass block for longer than 2.5 seconds

That and a QB that can get the ball to the receivers, I no longer care what his jersey says on the back, just as long as he can throw a spiral.
dang people get off hill for a minute. no he's not lighting it up like brady but he's not awful.

did you notice our offensive line vs. the dallas offensive line? romo is just f**king sitting back there and finding open people. hill is getting bum rushed immediately and hit as he's thrown almost every time.

he had bruce open on an out with a clear window for the completion but he was hit as he threw. he was just pressured all game. take a look at the 2007 superbowl if you want to see what happens to a QB when he is consistently pressured, even a future hall of famer.

overall i was disappointed in our team. there were some bright spots (running game, nate davis), but i'm not too optimistic about this season right now mainly because of our s**tty offensive and defensive line, not shaun hill.
I would just like to mention a couple of things about Nate Davis.

I keep reading how he was going against 3rd and 4th stringers and that's true, but that has nothing to do with what actually impressed me.

1. His accuracy and touch. Not only does he have a cannon arm, he has touch! Eric Davis talked about it all game. Eric Davis also was very impressed with one of the throws he made, saying "not many QBS in the NFL can make that pass." How many lame duck crap ass passes have we seen from Smith and Hill. Hill can barely get the ball down field with any volocity and Smith can barely hit the broad side of a barn.

2. Pocket Presence, Pocket Presence, Pocket Presence! Even when the pocket was collapsing he never seemed panicked. It's a trait that I see in other legit NFL QBs. And when the pressure finally gets to him, he doesn't always take off and run for his life, instead he steps up, to the side or moves ever so slightly while still looking down field to make a play. In contrast, from the moment Smith says hike he has happy feet and is bouncing around. Once pressure does get to him he way out runs his protection and his eyes turn to the easiest target on the field, the RB. A similar thing can be said about Hill.

I'm not saying Davis is ready to start, but I am saying based on what I've seen he has the raw intangables to develop into the kind of QB we need. How he isn't consider 3rd string material is beyond me. I would like to see him second string by end of season and possible fist next year.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
dang people get off hill for a minute. no he's not lighting it up like brady but he's not awful.

did you notice our offensive line vs. the dallas offensive line? romo is just f**king sitting back there and finding open people. hill is getting bum rushed immediately and hit as he's thrown almost every time.

he had bruce open on an out with a clear window for the completion but he was hit as he threw. he was just pressured all game. take a look at the 2007 superbowl if you want to see what happens to a QB when he is consistently pressured, even a future hall of famer.

overall i was disappointed in our team. there were some bright spots (running game, nate davis), but i'm not too optimistic about this season right now mainly because of our s**tty offensive and defensive line, not shaun hill.

Offensive line is a problem, and probably the biggest one. Hill has had trouble with his passes getting to their targets though, even when he wasn't pressured, he is throwing floaters that are way off target.
Tell me this: You have two quarterbacks; one is a starter but has very limited to no ability at all to move the ball. He has a little experience, most as a back-up; the other-no experience, but is moving the ball with ANY receiver that is put in there, shows some great mechanics, poise, mobile, has a cannon, accuratttte in ways that we 49er fans havent been used to for a long while, and seriously justs looks good. He moves the ball too. Is he going to make misstakes? Of course. But is he going to perform and make throws our other quarterbacks wouldnt even attempt?? Most of you all can agree with yes, he will.

Isnt it better to go with a guy who has a higher ceiling if they're both going to make misstakes?

2009 Nate Davis>>>>>>>2005 Alex Smith

Based on what? Nothing.

Based on the fact he throws to the receivers and is more accurate than Hill has looked thus far. Not saying he is great, but Hill has looked really bad so far. You guys slam Smith for his inaccuracy but Hill is doing even worse.

Shaun Hill was getting terrible pass protection all day long. How can you step up in the pocket when Jay Ratliff and Demarcus Ware are right in your face.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I would just like to mention a couple of things about Nate Davis.

I keep reading how he was going against 3rd and 4th stringers and that's true, but that has nothing to do with what actually impressed me.

1. His accuracy and touch. Not only does he have a cannon arm, he has touch! Eric Davis talked about it all game. Eric Davis also was very impressed with one of the throws he made, saying "not many QBS in the NFL can make that pass." How many lame duck crap ass passes have we seen from Smith and Hill. Hill can barely get the ball down field with any volocity and Smith can barely hit the broad side of a barn.

2. Pocket Presence, Pocket Presence, Pocket Presence! Even when the pocket was collapsing he never seemed panicked. It's a trait that I see in other legit NFL QBs. And when the pressure finally gets to him, he doesn't always take off and run for his life, instead he steps up, to the side or moves ever so slightly while still looking down field to make a play. In contrast, from the moment Smith says hike he has happy feet and is bouncing around. Once pressure does get to him he way out runs his protection and his eyes turn to the easiest target on the field, the RB. A similar thing can be said about Hill.

I'm not saying Davis is ready to start, but I am saying based on what I've seen he has the raw intangables to develop into the kind of QB we need. How he isn't consider 3rd string material is beyond me. I would like to see him second string by end of season and possible fist next year.

I had only seen Davis play at Ball State three games and the last two were the bad ones he had, from what I have seen from him so far, he does look to have a future in the NFL.
Nate Davis has a knack of throwing a good ball and seems a good qb then he uncorks something like a rail gun. He kinda lulls guys into thinking they have seen his best and then he unloads a meteor. He really does have an amazing range of passes and the fact he is pretty accurate with those different passes. We have seen Alex scare seagulls when he tries to change his passes. We don't consider that Davis has come back when he has no margins for many mistakes in the second half. That fact he can manage to be efficient when many qbs knees would be shaking is impressive. It is like working under real pressure. He can't make fatal mistakes like we have seen our qbs make in the last five years. When have our guys faced deficits then told to win games. The comments about playing reserves inferring he is a Joe Montana playing with grammar school kids are irritating. He is playing his peers and making it seem smooth and competent. He is better then any qb in recent memory, even the Ryans and Flaccos.

Based on what? Nothing.

Shaun Hill was getting terrible pass protection all day long. How can you step up in the pocket when Jay Ratliff and Demarcus Ware are right in your face.

No one seemed to accept that as a reason when bashing Smith for his spotty play. This team has more talent than any team Smith ever started for as well, I do not do double standards, if it was bad for Smith to do, it is the same for Hill...no more Alexcuses or Hillusions.