Defensive post-game analysis (week 3)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWill:
1 sack in 3 games?

thats the problem with the defense.

/thread

+8 TO ratio. That's what matters because that's the number that is reflective of the play as a team...sacks/pressures/good offensive play don't mean s**t if they don't add up to a good TO number.

[ Edited by Blitz on Aug 30, 2009 at 18:12:25 ]
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I really feel like they are holding back, at least I friggin hope so! They are typically sending 3-4 guys... sometimes 5, but never 6 or 7 like blitz-happy Dallas likes to send. My guess would be holding back for hte season opener

Which is exactly why it's total B.S. that we're playing vanilla. Is Dallas, S, Pittsburgh & NE holding back their defensive 3-4 schemes b/c it's preseason? Of course not!!! They work on perfecting their game and throwing in new wrinkles into their schemes.

Again, we run the most vanilla 3-4 I have ever seen...preseason or not.

Thier stories different. The dont have to blitz to get to the QB. We do. If we show our blitz scheme's now we dont have any suprises for the season. We need a big time pass rusher. I wish we would have traded for Burgess.

Why would you hide your blitz packages for 1 opponent. After they play the Cards everything will be on tape for remaining opponents to see. Not to mention it's a division rival that plays you twice a year and pretty much has a idea of all of your packages. the Niners have the same DC returning, So explain to me how exotic, or complex these packages they supposedly are hiding really gonna be? You really believe they this team is good enough to where they don't need to actually try there blitz packages in real game situations?

[ Edited by lamontb on Aug 30, 2009 at 18:37:32 ]
Originally posted by lamontb:
I really feel like they are holding back, at least I friggin hope so! They are typically sending 3-4 guys... sometimes 5, but never 6 or 7 like blitz-happy Dallas likes to send. My guess would be holding back for hte season opener

Which is exactly why it's total B.S. that we're playing vanilla. Is Dallas, S, Pittsburgh & NE holding back their defensive 3-4 schemes b/c it's preseason? Of course not!!! They work on perfecting their game and throwing in new wrinkles into their schemes.

Thier stories different. The dont have to blitz to get to the QB. We do. If we show our blitz scheme's now we dont have any suprises for the season. We need a big time pass rusher. I wish we would have traded for Burgess.

Why would you hide your blitz packages for 1 opponent. After they play the Cards everything will be on tape for remaining opponents to see. Not to mention it's a division rival that plays you twice a year and pretty much has a idea of all of your packages. the Niners have the same DC returning, So explain to me how exotic, or complex these packages they supposedly are hiding really gonna be? You really believe they this team is good enough to where they don't need to actually try there blitz packages in real game situations?

I'm sure you don't expose all your packages in one game during the season and DC's come up with different schemes every year. You have to adapt and hide them in different ways. If you expose them in the preseason then that adds to the amount of games you have to disguise them for the next opponent. Against different offenses you blitz in different ways. Primarly running teams you zone blitz to counter the run. Teams like the Cards you run stunts and heavy blitz's due to how spread out they play. We don't have a big time rusher like Suggs, Harrison or Ware so we have to blitz and you cannot show your hand in preseason, that would be a terrible idea. If this weren't the case no team would be vanilla in preseason. What do you think they have closed door practices for? Cause they pratice in tutu's.
Just watching replay of game & Nate Clements better play alot more bump & run or tighter coverage at the snap or he will get abused all season & we may have to look at replacing him next year.

I'm sure you don't expose all your packages in one game during the season and DC's come up with different schemes every year. You have to adapt and hide them in different ways. If you expose them in the preseason then that adds to the amount of games you have to disguise them for the next opponent. Against different offenses you blitz in different ways. Primarly running teams you zone blitz to counter the run. Teams like the Cards you run stunts and heavy blitz's due to how spread out they play. We don't have a big time rusher like Suggs, Harrison or Ware so we have to blitz and you cannot show your hand in preseason, that would be a terrible idea. If this weren't the case no team would be vanilla in preseason. What do you think they have closed door practices for? Cause they pratice in tutu's.

So basically what you are saying is this team is only gonna get better by surprising teams instead of repetition, and execution of there plays. This team needs to work at whatever it is they are going to do. Sorry but coming out with surprising blitz packages isn't gonna work for any team. And once again how much of a suprise are you gonna come with when you have the exact same DC and players? It's cool to have a trick up your sleeve but you can't have your whole entrie pass rush be a trick
  • 9er2k
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Just watching replay of game & Nate Clements better play alot more bump & run or tighter coverage at the snap or he will get abused all season & we may have to look at replacing him next year.

Nate Clements should play safety next year
  • 49ersPERU
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
I saw our pass rush on the back of a milk carton.

hahahahahahahahaha OUR PASS DEFENCE NOT EXIST
  • 49ersPERU
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Does Justin Smith have short arms or something? He can't seem to stretch his arms straight out very well. It's like watching a T-rex try to grab a marble rolling on the floor.

HAHAHAHAHA THATS FUNNY STATEMENT ... HAHAHA

FROM PERU...VIVA PERU....VAMOS 49ERS

So basically what you are saying is this team is only gonna get better by surprising teams instead of repetition, and execution of there plays. This team needs to work at whatever it is they are going to do. Sorry but coming out with surprising blitz packages isn't gonna work for any team. And once again how much of a suprise are you gonna come with when you have the exact same DC and players? It's cool to have a trick up your sleeve but you can't have your whole entrie pass rush be a trick

Ok. Sorry you are right coach. I don't know what I was thinking. I dont really know were to go from here. Everyweek you develop a scheme against your opponent and you implement it in practice. I guess well just have to agree to disagree.

All of the Lawson haters are blind.

Lawson was being doubleteamed and for some reason , was put into spy positions.

He even hurried Romo on the very first play.

I don't understand all the hate for Lawson.He was a great pick.

An attribute to his athleticism, is his FG block last year.

FOR SOME IDIOTIC REASON (or maybe because it's preseason) THE COACHES AREN'T SENDING MANNY ON THE BLITZ

[ Edited by TonyStarks on Sep 2, 2009 at 10:31:32 ]

Originally posted by modninerfan:
is anyone else disappointed in Goldson and want Smith to start over him?

While it is just Preseason, Goldson has not showed anything Spectacular other than laying a lick on a motherf**ker.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Smith Back there.

and based on Goldson Injury track record, we may see him this year.
Originally posted by aacadena:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
is anyone else disappointed in Goldson and want Smith to start over him?

While it is just Preseason, Goldson has not showed anything Spectacular other than laying a lick on a motherf**ker.

But I wouldn't mind seeing Smith Back there.

and based on Goldson Injury track record, we may see him this year.

goldson is nowhere near the problem. teams havent really gone vertical against us in the preseason and he hasnt gotten burnt at all. let him play in the regular season before wanting to replace him
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

FOR SOME IDIOTIC REASON (or maybe because it's preseason) THE COACHES AREN'T SENDING MANNY ON THE BLITZ

I'm sorry I DVR'd the Cowpoke game and have watched it 4 times. I saw one time
that Lawson even got close.

Of course I'm not watching it on HDTV, nor did I consume any pass rush koolaid before watching the game.

One time I did see Romo with enough time to run about 4 passing plays. I think he
was enjoying his espresso on that play, and it was too hot to drink right away.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
1 sack in 3 games?

thats the problem with the defense.

/thread

That one sack happened when the Raiders qb Rusell tripped over his shoelaces and fell down without any 49ers defenders near him. Lawson touched him down so he was credited with a sack.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

I'm sorry I DVR'd the Cowpoke game and have watched it 4 times. I saw one time
that Lawson even got close.

Of course I'm not watching it on HDTV, nor did I consume any pass rush koolaid before watching the game.

One time I did see Romo with enough time to run about 4 passing plays. I think he
was enjoying his espresso on that play, and it was too hot to drink right away.

I was at the game and saw it in HD at home afterwords. Lawson never came close to pressuring Romo. I counted two plays where Romo was under pressure and should have been sacked. On one play Spikes was blitzing and should have had the sack(he grabbed Romo but couldn't hold on) but Romo escaped. On the other Harlson forced Romo into a bad pass that was picked off. Lawson was completely worthless.
Share 49ersWebzone