LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 271 users in the forums

Our Q.B. gets sacked...their Q.B. does not!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by Joecool:
After reading the title of your thread, I couldn't help but say, "Me Tarzan, you Jane. Ugah bugah."

Anyways, I think we all know our 3-4 isn't a prototypical 3-4 with that monster NT. Therefore, in order for us to get pressure, we will need to blitz a lot but not just blitz, we will need to run a lot of stunts as it is appearing that Manny is not a very good 1-on-1 rusher. Who knows, Ahmad Brooks may come out and we already know Parys is good for at least 8 sacks. Also, this preseason, Willis hasn't been playing. If you don't think that is very important, well it is. He's just about THE best defensive player in the league and he gets a lot of attention.

We will need to manufacture sacks with scheme and without Willis, it is a lot harder because with him in there, the offense must concentrate on him a little more.

I have a feeling we will be applying more pressure this game or when regular season starts.

If the 9ers truely want to be a playoff caliber defense... they better discover somebody on our defense (in addtion to Haralson) who can consistantly SACK the Q.B.

This team ain't going to the playoffs with only one player (Haralson) who can SACK the Q.B.

Season after season, decade after decade, one common theme with our 9ers....

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

If you recall, for the last several seasons we all said " well, when the regular season starts, our sacks will improve"

uhmmm no... we simply dont have the Sack skilled horses.

But we did improve.
After reading the title of your thread, I couldn't help but say, "Me Tarzan, you Jane. Ugah bugah."

Anyways, I think we all know our 3-4 isn't a prototypical 3-4 with that monster NT. Therefore, in order for us to get pressure, we will need to blitz a lot but not just blitz, we will need to run a lot of stunts as it is appearing that Manny is not a very good 1-on-1 rusher. Who knows, Ahmad Brooks may come out and we already know Parys is good for at least 8 sacks. Also, this preseason, Willis hasn't been playing. If you don't think that is very important, well it is. He's just about THE best defensive player in the league and he gets a lot of attention.

We will need to manufacture sacks with scheme and without Willis, it is a lot harder because with him in there, the offense must concentrate on him a little more.

I have a feeling we will be applying more pressure this game or when regular season starts.

If the 9ers truely want to be a playoff caliber defense... they better discover somebody on our defense (in addtion to Haralson) who can consistantly SACK the Q.B.

This team ain't going to the playoffs with only one player (Haralson) who can SACK the Q.B.

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

If you recall, for the last several seasons we all said " well, when the regular season starts, our sacks will improve"

But we did improve.

From season to season...show us the evidence.

And if the 9ers get one sack against Dallas...I will let you date my blond bombshell girlfriend, but only for 10 minuets
I wouldnt be surprised if brooks or harris unseat manny as the number 2 pass rusher. also i can see ray mcdonald supplanting soap at lde.

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

But we did improve.

And if the 9ers get one sack against Dallas...I will let you date my blond bombshell girlfriend, but only for 10 minuets

need picture proof.
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I think this will be the year that we get a TRUE breakout season from our pass rushers. I know we are all expecting Lawson to step up, and I hope he does. Haralson can get 10+ sacks, he proved that hes a pretty good sack artist. Also Justin Smith has that non stop motor that can get 10 sacks with a good season.

I think we got the guys to do it, now lets do it!!! take you pick, all these guys have the potential and were drafted to rush the passer..

1. Lawson
2. Haralson
3. Smith
4. McDonald
5. Balmer
6. Soapoaga
7. Moore
8. Evans

plus you got our beast inside backers in Willis and Spikes that puts pressure on the qb when blitzing, and one of the best blitzing corner in Clements and blitzing safety in Lewis.

I believe someway, somehow, Sing and Manusky will get er done!!

We definitely have a lot of talented young players in Lawson (not so much in the pass rush), Haralson, and Balmer, as well as vets w/ guys like Smith, Franklin, and Evans. The one thing that is noticable and we see it on the field, is we are missing a dominate pass rusher. They all are well rounded players in their own rights and i wouldnt say that any of them are noticably weak, especially the young guys because they are still in their first stage in their careers, but we dont have that double digit sack machine yet. Im wanting one of our OLBs to step up, hopefully Haralson because he is on the weakside and a pass rush on the weakside is beautiful. But w/o someone that can command a double team every play were not going to be a defensive sack machine and thats almost a guarantee in the 3-4. Our season will not be DESTOYED because of an average pass rush in the 3-4 though. We have a stong passing and run defense that finished in 13th last year w/ what i thought was a even weaker pass rush w/ McD, and Sop. Balmer is still very young and i think if we can get a bad ass NT sometime between this and next season then we will see all these young players improve. To be completely honest if we have a horrible pass rush this year, I can not imagine Sing and York not pursuing a proven player or a huge rookie at NT. Even if we dont preform well in the PR this year our DEs and OLBs will be back next year w/ a more proven NT

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

But we did improve.

can I have her I only take 8 minutes so you can keep the spare 2
  • ASHYLARRY51
  • Info N/A
Quote:

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

Agreed...i don't know what Manusky is talking about how our pass rush is greatly improved...yeah we showed more blitz packages on last weeks game but didn't see one sack except for when Jamarcus stumbled upon himself...but maybe they're holding back i don't know i guess well have to see and wait
Originally posted by ASHYLARRY51:
Quote:

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

Agreed...i don't know what Manusky is talking about how our pass rush is greatly improved...yeah we showed more blitz packages on last weeks game but didn't see one sack except for when Jamarcus stumbled upon himself...but maybe they're holding back i don't know i guess well have to see and wait

Uhmmm...holding back, me thinks not. The 9ers simply don't have a Pas Rush demon on their entire current team. (maybe Haralson could be one, but even he will have to PROVE he is a Pass Rush beast)

Who misses Charles Haley?
As a follow up to this thread..... which team gets the first game sack this weekend, the 9ers or Cards?

And how many sacks do you see each team getting, if any?
^^^^^9ers get the first Sack(our only one), Tards get 20.
In a game that is reminiscent to one as a Madden Defense played on Easy.

Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

Oooooooh

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Sep 8, 2009 at 11:18:49 ]

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

I would even go so far as saying that Haralson isn't a proven sack-master either. Last year he excelled on mostly 3rd downs and coverage sacks. This year he will be taking almost everty snap and teams have game-film on him now. He could actually end up with less sack numbers this year despite having more opportunities.
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Agree with you, but pressure also works. Especially up the middle to force the QB to rush or move.

But...everyone plays pretty vanilla defense in the preseason. I expect more timed blitzing this year and more stunts.

What you just said... is what the excuse is every past pre-season for the past decade., that we are playing "Vanilla". But guess what, so is the opposition and they still get SACKS!

Every pre-season people say wait till the regular season starts and you know just like me, if you don't have the horses, guys who can get a SACK, Vanilla or no Vanilla, then Sack artist players are not automically going to surface simply because it's the regular season.

It's very clear if you can't SACk the Q.B. during basic mano on mano preseason football games.... there is no scheme in the regular season that is going to turn a player into a Pass Rush beast.

Its clear now just like it has been in the past.... our Q.B. gets his butt sacked during pre-season and regular season games while their Q.B. does not.

Im sick of not have a decent Pass Rush and really only one frek'en player (Haralson) on our entire team is our only threat to do so.... One freak'en guy!

You're points are spot on. Even if you watched the Charger's game, as soon as the ball was snapped, they constantly were playing behind our LOS from the first whistle to the end of the game. I don't know how many times Davis had to scramble for his life!
I think we will be okay in terms of a pass rush. We can scheme and blitz for pressure and sacks and I think having a FS that can cover will lead to us being able to take more chances in terms of blitzing and blitz packages.

I hope I'm right!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Agree with you, but pressure also works. Especially up the middle to force the QB to rush or move.

But...everyone plays pretty vanilla defense in the preseason. I expect more timed blitzing this year and more stunts.

What you just said... is what the excuse is every past pre-season for the past decade., that we are playing "Vanilla". But guess what, so is the opposition and they still get SACKS!

Every pre-season people say wait till the regular season starts and you know just like me, if you don't have the horses, guys who can get a SACK, Vanilla or no Vanilla, then Sack artist players are not automically going to surface simply because it's the regular season.

It's very clear if you can't SACk the Q.B. during basic mano on mano preseason football games.... there is no scheme in the regular season that is going to turn a player into a Pass Rush beast.

Its clear now just like it has been in the past.... our Q.B. gets his butt sacked during pre-season and regular season games while their Q.B. does not.

Im sick of not have a decent Pass Rush and really only one frek'en player (Haralson) on our entire team is our only threat to do so.... One freak'en guy!

You're points are spot on. Even if you watched the Charger's game, as soon as the ball was snapped, they constantly were playing behind our LOS from the first whistle to the end of the game. I don't know how many times Davis had to scramble for his life!

Really? One guy that can sack the QB? Just one? Then this bit of news won't help matters much.

What about Smith? You know, the guy that singlehandedly contributed to the INCREASE in our average sacks per game and season?

Would that not be at least TWO guys that can get to the QB? The guy that made it possible for Haralson to get some Sacks last season?

Or how about the guy that makes it possible for us to get turnovers?

I agree it's not a bunch of nada, but I think this whole "pressure" rant is just a bit overboard. Considering it takes pressure to create and GET turnovers. How many of THOSE did we have this preseason? What was the average per team and where did we rank in that statistic in first team stats?

I'll worry more if we go 2 or 3 games without at least creating a loose ball incident. Til then this imho is hooey. Screw Sacks, gimme turnovers.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Really? One guy that can sack the QB? Just one? Then this bit of news won't help matters much.

What about Smith? You know, the guy that singlehandedly contributed to the INCREASE in our average sacks per game and season?

Would that not be at least TWO guys that can get to the QB? The guy that made it possible for Haralson to get some Sacks last season?

Or how about the guy that makes it possible for us to get turnovers?

I agree it's not a bunch of nada, but I think this whole "pressure" rant is just a bit overboard. Considering it takes pressure to create and GET turnovers. How many of THOSE did we have this preseason? What was the average per team and where did we rank in that statistic in first team stats?

I'll worry more if we go 2 or 3 games without at least creating a loose ball incident. Til then this imho is hooey. Screw Sacks, gimme turnovers.

~Ceadder

AMEN
Share 49ersWebzone