LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 181 users in the forums

Our Q.B. gets sacked...their Q.B. does not!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If the 9ers truely want to be a playoff caliber defense... they better discover somebody on our defense (in addtion to Haralson) who can consistantly SACK the Q.B.

This team ain't going to the playoffs with only one player (Haralson) who can SACK the Q.B.

Season after season, decade after decade, one common theme with our 9ers....

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!
[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 25, 2009 at 4:50 PM ]
Agree with you, but pressure also works. Especially up the middle to force the QB to rush or move.

But...everyone plays pretty vanilla defense in the preseason. I expect more timed blitzing this year and more stunts.
It hasn't been too encouraging so far, but then again they have been playing a very vanilla defensive scheme while resting a lot of their starters. But let there be no doubt about it, if they can't improve what they've been doing so far, then that bodes very bad for the 9ers this season.
Originally posted by BigMar:
If the 9ers truely want to be a playoff caliber defense... they better discover somebody on our defense (in addtion to Haralson) who can consistantly SACK the Q.B.

This team ain't going to the playoffs with only one player (Haralson) who can SACK the Q.B.

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

JUSTIN SMITH
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

JUSTIN SMITH

exactly..

didnt he have more than haralyson last year

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

JUSTIN SMITH

exactly..

didnt he have more than haralyson last year

no acually he has .5 less sacks than haralson
[ Edited by 49ersalldaway126 on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM ]
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Agree with you, but pressure also works. Especially up the middle to force the QB to rush or move.

But...everyone plays pretty vanilla defense in the preseason. I expect more timed blitzing this year and more stunts.

What you just said... is what the excuse is every past pre-season for the past decade., that we are playing "Vanilla". But guess what, so is the opposition and they still get SACKS!

Every pre-season people say wait till the regular season starts and you know just like me, if you don't have the horses, guys who can get a SACK, Vanilla or no Vanilla, then Sack artist players are not automically going to surface simply because it's the regular season.

It's very clear if you can't SACk the Q.B. during basic mano on mano preseason football games.... there is no scheme in the regular season that is going to turn a player into a Pass Rush beast.

Its clear now just like it has been in the past.... our Q.B. gets his butt sacked during pre-season and regular season games while their Q.B. does not.

Im sick of not have a decent Pass Rush and really only one frek'en player (Haralson) on our entire team is our only threat to do so.... One freak'en guy!
[ Edited by BigMar on Aug 25, 2009 at 5:27 PM ]
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

I was thinking the same thing, the fact that he said "decade after decade" proves he doesn't know what he is talking about or is 12 years old.
I sure hope someone steps up big time this year! We will find out very soon!

• Antix
  • Veteran
Pressuring the QB is many time as effective if not more effective than sacking a QB. With that said...

Our issue, once again, is going to be push up the middle. I've probably posted the same thing 20 times on this board, but our issue IS NOT outside rushing. It's the fact that anytime someone gets within one yard of the QB on the outside he has a five yard pocket to step up into.

Unless we can learn how to completely collapse a pocket we'll have issues bringing the QB down. Hopefully our blitz scheming will make up for this deficiency.
I dont think we will ever have a pass rush
We need Balmer to step it up this year on the D-Line,if he can get constant pressure, he'll not only make the D-Line better, the LB's will have more chances to run wild.

He was our 1st pick last year, and he hopefully can contribute this year.

I feel we are are one player away on the D-line from making this a top 5 D
Big Mack will do if they let him !

Our Q.B. gets sacked

and

their Q.B. does not!

of course, everyone knows this. this ain't groundbreaking, this has been talked about all offseason. pass rushers are at a premium in the nfl. everybody wants one. it's not easy at all to find a player who can constantly sack the qb. we have to find different ways to pressure, get more creative with our playcalling. our d is what it is. i don't think someone will pop up out of nowhere and get a bunch of sacks...
Share 49ersWebzone