Shop Find 49ers gear online

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I'm officially done with Shaun Hill.

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

And WHO do you suggest we put in? Alex Smith is no better. He has better arm strength, but worse accuracy and his decision-making skills are awful. Damon Huard.. Do I really need to argue against this guy? Just because he lit us up a few years ago means nothing. We sucked ass then.

If Hill does poorly during the regular season and they want to yank him, I would much rather see Nate Davis than Smith or Huard. I don't care that he is a rookie. He needs experience because he could very well be our future.

Yes, I want Davis, now. I know when I see the ball moving down field. The third string argument is just plain gay to me. They're third string receivers and third string tackles, and guess what, they're third string centers handing off the stinking ball. He still eluded pressure. He still poised to deliver in pressure situations. He still threw the bomb off his back foot for 45+ yards. He still threw passes when Hill or Alex would not have thrown. I seen so many oppurtunities missed with Hill and Smith tucking and running with receivers open. Davis steps up and rockets it in there. Whos gonna argue that?

You guys know what the biggest most important quatilty we need for our qb this year?

Its not arm strength, not mobility, not game management. GUESS AGAIN!

Its called confidence. The San Francisco 49ers of 2009 need a quarterback with the CONFIDENCE to step up and believe he can make the throw...
and Hill and Smith dont have an ounce of it. Thats why they ve taken the sacks.
Our line is built this year with lower than average pass-blocking abilties. Thats why we need ...

who cares, Im saying it, Davis! He has got the pocket awareness and feel for the game to make tough throws look easy and take off running when he needs to. Put my name down on his bandwagon list. Hes gonna be a winner.

S**t! You almost convinced me. Almost.

I agree with most everything you said, except the confidence part. What happens when something does not go his way, what happens to his confidence then? A kid like that can pick up the paper a Monday after a loss where he threw a pick to lose the game and reads what everyone is saying about him, pretty big buzzkill. Gotta tread lightly with this kid. I don't think Smith coming out of Utah the 1st pick overall was lacking confidence at that point. Bad things happen in the NFL that make young qbs LOSE confidence.

You mean something happening like watching the opposing cornerback return a fumble for a touchdown, a fumble your number 1 wide receiver lost as he hit the turf unconscious after a helmet to helmet collision? And then watching for what seems like hours as the trainers and emergency crew huddle around him, as they bring out the back board, as they bring his mother to the field? Something like watching as they strap the best player on your team and your go-to guy down on that backboard with foam surrounding his neck and head to keep it stable? Something like knowing that the most pressing concern is for his life, not just his football career? And then, after all that, when you must resume play, they replace the key to your offense with a freshman? I would tend to think that could do some serious damage to your confidence, plus a whole slew of other emotional damage.

They went on to win that game, 42-20.
Originally posted by Super5:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?

Like I said before.. Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has, not even against 3rd stringers. He never had the accuracy, poise, decision-making ability and pocket presence that Nate Davis has shown. NEVER! On top of that, the situation for our QBs is much better now than when Alex Smith was "thrown to the wolves." We are a power-running team now. The emphasis will be on Gore and the other runners. The QB will not be asked to win games himself. I normally never say this about rookies and I am one of the guys that understands that we can't put much into preseason games, but Nate Davis has shown things that none of our other QBs have and the level of competition he's facing doesn't have much to do with any of those things. If we had ANYONE who was definitively better, I would say he needs to sit and learn from that guy. But, sadly, we do not have any GOOD QBs so I just don't see Nate Davis playing as a bad thing for us.

What?,no mention of Shaun?

What about Shaun? He's a serviceable QB, but he is not a GOOD QB no matter how you slice it. I want him to start, but I don't think he's that much better than Nate Davis at this point, and Nate Davis will get better with experience.

I am of the opinion that Shaun Hill should be our starter until he does something to mess it up, which he hasn't done. I am not saying Davis should start right off the bat. What I'm saying is if Shaun Hill plays poorly, our season is done. If that happens, I'd like to see Nate Davis get some experience rather than go through the same old Alex Smith experience (I am not a "Smith Hater" but I do know what we have in him and I'd rather see what we have in Davis since his upside seems to be so much higher).

Agreed,he lit up against Dallas like Romo just as he's been doing all preseason

Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

And WHO do you suggest we put in? Alex Smith is no better. He has better arm strength, but worse accuracy and his decision-making skills are awful. Damon Huard.. Do I really need to argue against this guy? Just because he lit us up a few years ago means nothing. We sucked ass then.

If Hill does poorly during the regular season and they want to yank him, I would much rather see Nate Davis than Smith or Huard. I don't care that he is a rookie. He needs experience because he could very well be our future.

Yes, I want Davis, now. I know when I see the ball moving down field. The third string argument is just plain gay to me. They're third string receivers and third string tackles, and guess what, they're third string centers handing off the stinking ball. He still eluded pressure. He still poised to deliver in pressure situations. He still threw the bomb off his back foot for 45+ yards. He still threw passes when Hill or Alex would not have thrown. I seen so many oppurtunities missed with Hill and Smith tucking and running with receivers open. Davis steps up and rockets it in there. Whos gonna argue that?

You guys know what the biggest most important quatilty we need for our qb this year?

Its called confidence. The San Francisco 49ers of 2009 need a quarterback with the CONFIDENCE to step up and believe he can make the throw...
Our line is built this year with lower than average pass-blocking abilties. Thats why we need ...

who cares, Im saying it, Davis! He has got the pocket awareness and feel for the game to make tough throws look easy and take off running when he needs to. Put my name down on his bandwagon list. Hes gonna be a winner.

I agree with most everything you said, except the confidence part. What happens when something does not go his way, what happens to his confidence then? A kid like that can pick up the paper a Monday after a loss where he threw a pick to lose the game and reads what everyone is saying about him, pretty big buzzkill. Gotta tread lightly with this kid. I don't think Smith coming out of Utah the 1st pick overall was lacking confidence at that point. Bad things happen in the NFL that make young qbs LOSE confidence.

You mean something happening like watching the opposing cornerback return a fumble for a touchdown, a fumble your number 1 wide receiver lost as he hit the turf unconscious after a helmet to helmet collision? And then watching for what seems like hours as the trainers and emergency crew huddle around him, as they bring out the back board, as they bring his mother to the field? Something like watching as they strap the best player on your team and your go-to guy down on that backboard with foam surrounding his neck and head to keep it stable? Something like knowing that the most pressing concern is for his life, not just his football career? And then, after all that, when you must resume play, they replace the key to your offense with a freshman? I would tend to think that could do some serious damage to your confidence, plus a whole slew of other emotional damage.

The scenario you describe would serve to motivate teammates of the injured player to succeed, not shatter confidence.

I'm definitely liking what I see from Davis, which is why he should not be set up for failure the way Smith was.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:

The scenario you describe would serve to motivate teammates of the injured player to succeed, not shatter confidence.

I'm definitely liking what I see from Davis, which is why he should not be set up for failure the way Smith was.

If he comes in an impresses then he would not be getting setup. He is not a #1 OVERALL PICK.. He is going to get more time this week becuase neither hill or alex will play much. Playing him early will require you to have either hill and alex to finish the game.
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I would very much like to see Nate Davis get into the San Diego game with the #1's just to see how he handles himself. It's only a pre-season game and pre-season is about evaluating the talents of your players. I think it would be foolish not to explore how he might do in the last pre-season game because the defense will be more vanilla than in the regular season.

Sorry dude. If the starters play at all, it'll only be a series. Davis will probably get alot of work this week though, maybe with some of the backups.
I think it would be good to see how he does given at least a series with the 1st team. All these predictions are just retarded, you'll never know how he'll do until you actually see for yourself.
One thing is for sure, if Alex plays, he and Nate will both see a conservative amount of action against San Diego's 2's and 3's. -It should be a good test for the both of them, seeing that San Diego's 2nd team defense has been showing a lot of promise thus far throughout the pre-season.

We also get to see how Alex's confidence stacks up behind the scrub line, compared to the success/poise Nate has been exhuming behind it thus far.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
One thing is for sure, if Alex plays, he and Nate will both see a conservative amount of action against San Diego's 2's and 3's. -It should be a good test for the both of them, seeing that San Diego's 2nd team defense has been showing a lot of promise thus far throughout the pre-season.

We also get to see how Alex's confidence stacks up behind the scrub line, compared to the success/poise Nate has been exhuming behind it thus far.

It wil be interesting to see, if Alex's confidence is not there, if Davis can make a push for the #2 job sometime this season.
I think we can expect to see both Alex and Nate playing close to a half each.

I don't see the starters playing any longer than a series max. Either way, i'm excited to see the QB and RB play.

-9fA
Originally posted by 49ERwhiner:
I would very much like to see Nate Davis get into the San Diego game with the #1's just to see how he handles himself. It's only a pre-season game and pre-season is about evaluating the talents of your players. I think it would be foolish not to explore how he might do in the last pre-season game because the defense will be more vanilla than in the regular season.

I think so many have missed the point.Its not like people are saying start the kid tomarro,but try him out to see how he handles a faster pace.Man what if this guy turns out to be something MANY thought he could'nt.(Jerry Rice)not fast enough, and so many other examples and variables.My point and other points like this above is saying try him and develope him.In my opionion with the way the salary cap is and ownership not going anywhere anytime soon,I think its worth the small effort in starting him in preseason and prepare him for some regular season action(this season) as well.But then again I'm just a computer potatoe like everyone on this board,making coaching decisions from my laptop.Lol

I'm watching the Cowboys game again (for the 3rd time) and Davis is very impressive. I remember watching him at Ball State on Thursday nights last season and thinking that he was just a natural QB. Everything looks easy to him. There's nothing mechanical about his footwork or throwing motion.

There's just certain things that I don't think you can teach a QB. I'll talk about 3 specific throws that he made:
1) his throw to Finley was perfect. He avoided the pass rush, bought time in the pocket, kept his eyes forward looking, and fired a bullet where only Finley could catch the ball.
2) His throw to Walker on a crossing pattern. He stands tall in the pocket and throws a pass in front of Walker with very nice touch- again where Walker is the only person who can possibly catch it (something that Shaun Hill is known for)
3) Bootleg pass to Spurlock on the sideline. Sold the play fake very well (he actually does this very well), bootlegs to the right, freezes the secondary as if there's a WR running a post or seam route, then fires another bullet to Spurlock away from the CB.

Sure this rookie will make his mistake and probably take chances that he shouldn't, but he has some natural quarterbacking ability that I think Alex Smith doesn't even have.

Nate has a great pump fake as well. We should be patient with him this season because we might have hit the jackpot with Davis.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
I'm watching the Cowboys game again (for the 3rd time) and Davis is very impressive. I remember watching him at Ball State on Thursday nights last season and thinking that he was just a natural QB. Everything looks easy to him. There's nothing mechanical about his footwork or throwing motion.

There's just certain things that I don't think you can teach a QB. I'll talk about 3 specific throws that he made:
1) his throw to Finley was perfect. He avoided the pass rush, bought time in the pocket, kept his eyes forward looking, and fired a bullet where only Finley could catch the ball.
2) His throw to Walker on a crossing pattern. He stands tall in the pocket and throws a pass in front of Walker with very nice touch- again where Walker is the only person who can possibly catch it (something that Shaun Hill is known for)
3) Bootleg pass to Spurlock on the sideline. Sold the play fake very well (he actually does this very well), bootlegs to the right, freezes the secondary as if there's a WR running a post or seam route, then fires another bullet to Spurlock away from the CB.

Sure this rookie will make his mistake and probably take chances that he shouldn't, but he has some natural quarterbacking ability that I think Alex Smith doesn't even have.

Nate has a great pump fake as well. We should be patient with him this season because we might have hit the jackpot with Davis.

totally agreed

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?

Like I said before.. Alex Smith NEVER looked as good as Nate Davis has, not even against 3rd stringers. He never had the accuracy, poise, decision-making ability and pocket presence that Nate Davis has shown. NEVER! On top of that, the situation for our QBs is much better now than when Alex Smith was "thrown to the wolves." We are a power-running team now. The emphasis will be on Gore and the other runners. The QB will not be asked to win games himself. I normally never say this about rookies and I am one of the guys that understands that we can't put much into preseason games, but Nate Davis has shown things that none of our other QBs have and the level of competition he's facing doesn't have much to do with any of those things. If we had ANYONE who was definitively better, I would say he needs to sit and learn from that guy. But, sadly, we do not have any GOOD QBs so I just don't see Nate Davis playing as a bad thing for us.

What?,no mention of Shaun?

What about Shaun? He's a serviceable QB, but he is not a GOOD QB no matter how you slice it. I want him to start, but I don't think he's that much better than Nate Davis at this point, and Nate Davis will get better with experience.

I am of the opinion that Shaun Hill should be our starter until he does something to mess it up, which he hasn't done. I am not saying Davis should start right off the bat. What I'm saying is if Shaun Hill plays poorly, our season is done. If that happens, I'd like to see Nate Davis get some experience rather than go through the same old Alex Smith experience (I am not a "Smith Hater" but I do know what we have in him and I'd rather see what we have in Davis since his upside seems to be so much higher).

Agreed,he lit up against Dallas like Romo just as he's been doing all preseason

Hill has yet to do anything to lose his job during the regular season. He is not a good practice player and he's not a good preseason player. That much is obvious, because if he was ever any good at practice or during preseason he wouldn't have been a career 3rd stringer before arriving here. On top of that, his performance during the Dallas game is being blown way out of proportion. He didn't do nearly as awful as people on here make it seem. I'm not saying he did well, but people are acting like he came out and threw 4 INTs and did nothing promising. He made a couple nice throws and to be fair, he wasn't given many opportunities to "light it up" like everyone wants to see. I'm sorry for not joining the "Lets Hate Hill Because He Hasn't Lit It Up During Preseason" bandwagon, but it's gonna take more than a shaky performance during an exhibition game to offset all the good things he's done for this team in the 10 games he's started for us when it counts.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Sep 1, 2009 at 23:18:49 ]

Good post.
Share 49ersWebzone