LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

• fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerhigh:
And I reply that you are using what you are sitting on for brains instead of the gray matter you were born with.

We have somebody to manage the game already at quarterback. Our O.C. doesn't want the Q.B. to heroically win the game for game winning is No. 21's territory. Sing want's to run first, pass second. Keep thinking this way and you will realise what your saying makes no sense for the Niners.

what has he managed so far in preseason? maybe handing the ball off to coffee
LOL at these threads!!!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I'm officially done with Shaun Hill.

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

And WHO do you suggest we put in? Alex Smith is no better. He has better arm strength, but worse accuracy and his decision-making skills are awful. Damon Huard.. Do I really need to argue against this guy? Just because he lit us up a few years ago means nothing. We sucked ass then.

If Hill does poorly during the regular season and they want to yank him, I would much rather see Nate Davis than Smith or Huard. I don't care that he is a rookie. He needs experience because he could very well be our future.

Yes, I want Davis, now. I know when I see the ball moving down field. The third string argument is just plain gay to me. They're third string receivers and third string tackles, and guess what, they're third string centers handing off the stinking ball. He still eluded pressure. He still poised to deliver in pressure situations. He still threw the bomb off his back foot for 45+ yards. He still threw passes when Hill or Alex would not have thrown. I seen so many oppurtunities missed with Hill and Smith tucking and running with receivers open. Davis steps up and rockets it in there. Whos gonna argue that?

You guys know what the biggest most important quatilty we need for our qb this year?

Its not arm strength, not mobility, not game management. GUESS AGAIN!

Its called confidence. The San Francisco 49ers of 2009 need a quarterback with the CONFIDENCE to step up and believe he can make the throw...
and Hill and Smith dont have an ounce of it. Thats why they ve taken the sacks.
Our line is built this year with lower than average pass-blocking abilties. Thats why we need ...

who cares, Im saying it, Davis! He has got the pocket awareness and feel for the game to make tough throws look easy and take off running when he needs to. Put my name down on his bandwagon list. Hes gonna be a winner.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

I think thats wrong brother. Im sorry. I'd love to sit and watch a Niner game with you, but I think its wrong

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?
I voted yes on this one but....I do think Shaun Hill played well enough last season to have an opportunity to start. If Shaun struggles I say put Davis in and let him learn. I really like the way he plays, he is way more fun to watch than any qb we've had since Garcia.
Although I'm high on N Davis too, I'm not ready to name him the starter. However, in preseason game 4, I don't see much need for a lot of playing time for Hill/Smith/Huard, so let's let the kid play with the first string for a while before putting the subs in and let him finish out the last few quarters. That would be more reasonable to me. Once the season starts, he gets to sit and hold the clipboard.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
This has been a classic board overreaction the last couple of PRESEASON games. People are wanting to toss Hill over the bridge because the offense has not run smoothly the last two PRESEASON games.

Last check, preseason games are PRESEASON games.

Have I mentioned these are PRESEASON games.

P.S. While I am not part of the Shaun Hill Fan Club, I think a little respect is due. He finished last season with an 87.5 QB rating, which was 12th in the NFL. Higher than Eli Manning, Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Brett Favre, Ben Roethlisberger and many more.

To suggest that he is "garbage", or should be "dumped" is kind of silly, since these were...everyone join in....PRESEASON GAMES. Haven't we learned before that Hill is much better in NFL games that count? He's been solid in back-to-back years.

You sure are quick to point a finger at everybody.

Not everybody. But, there are a LOT of people who are overreacting. Go back to the last page and read that people are quitting on Hill, that he is terrible, and much, much more.

We live in a "in the moment" society that microanalyzes every snap, each series, every facial expression. I just think it is silly to suddenly believe that the Shaun Hill who played very well at the end of last season has suddenly become rubbish.

Hence, the classic board overreaction. And, it is just the beginning of the week. Davis starting right away will be the argument of the week, trust me. A poll will be conducted, and Davis will get more than 50% of the vote.
I thought you could see talent when you seen talent.

How do you back Hill for his 7-3 record. You know there were many variables and some losing teams in there too, I think.

And you know darn good and well this line isnt the same as last year. It could be very well worse than last year. Which means Hill's past gives no indication what his success will be this year. You know that Hill is terrible under center, and thats it. Im not argueing about it

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

And WHO do you suggest we put in? Alex Smith is no better. He has better arm strength, but worse accuracy and his decision-making skills are awful. Damon Huard.. Do I really need to argue against this guy? Just because he lit us up a few years ago means nothing. We sucked ass then.

If Hill does poorly during the regular season and they want to yank him, I would much rather see Nate Davis than Smith or Huard. I don't care that he is a rookie. He needs experience because he could very well be our future.

Yes, I want Davis, now. I know when I see the ball moving down field. The third string argument is just plain gay to me. They're third string receivers and third string tackles, and guess what, they're third string centers handing off the stinking ball. He still eluded pressure. He still poised to deliver in pressure situations. He still threw the bomb off his back foot for 45+ yards. He still threw passes when Hill or Alex would not have thrown. I seen so many oppurtunities missed with Hill and Smith tucking and running with receivers open. Davis steps up and rockets it in there. Whos gonna argue that?

You guys know what the biggest most important quatilty we need for our qb this year?

Its called confidence. The San Francisco 49ers of 2009 need a quarterback with the CONFIDENCE to step up and believe he can make the throw...
Our line is built this year with lower than average pass-blocking abilties. Thats why we need ...

who cares, Im saying it, Davis! He has got the pocket awareness and feel for the game to make tough throws look easy and take off running when he needs to. Put my name down on his bandwagon list. Hes gonna be a winner.

S**t! You almost convinced me. Almost.

I agree with most everything you said, except the confidence part. What happens when something does not go his way, what happens to his confidence then? A kid like that can pick up the paper a Monday after a loss where he threw a pick to lose the game and reads what everyone is saying about him, pretty big buzzkill. Gotta tread lightly with this kid. I don't think Smith coming out of Utah the 1st pick overall was lacking confidence at that point. Bad things happen in the NFL that make young qbs LOSE confidence.
Originally posted by backontop:

Would you rather throw him to the wolves like we did to A. Smith?

I remember that. I do man, but these two are not the same genes. I see so much more quality intangibles from Davis. He is completely better all around. Its hard to spit out when you compare where the picks were drafted, but your eyes werent lying on Saturday night when he was rifling that ball in the two minute drill.

Keep in mind, this is from a fan of Alex who backed him for four years, saying he was going to be legit,and bring success this year to our team. Then all I see is him overthrowing hitch routes and no accuracy at all. Still, I wanted Hill to begin this season as the starter. So, I like them both, but Hill is NOW my first choice of the whole league...
to come off the bench. Thats all he is bro

Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Nate Davis, the new Thomas Clayton.

-9fA

Nice.

I'd like to see him finish out the preseason playing the entire 2nd half of the remaining game(s). He does has a physical skill set superior to all the other guys ahead of him on the depth chart. Well, arm strength for sure.

You gotta let your 1st string players play with the guy you intend to start in week 1 of the reg season.

I like what I've seen of the kid too. I hope continues to grow. Maybe after next off season he'll be ready to move up in the depth chart.
With the QB's we have, there probably wouldn't be much of a difference if we throw Davis out there.

He is clearly our best QB, which is kind of sad.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

S**t! You almost convinced me. Almost.

I agree with most everything you said, except the confidence part. What happens when something does not go his way, what happens to his confidence then? A kid like that can pick up the paper a Monday after a loss where he threw a pick to lose the game and reads what everyone is saying about him, pretty big buzzkill. Gotta tread lightly with this kid. I don't think Smith coming out of Utah the 1st pick overall was lacking confidence at that point. Bad things happen in the NFL that make young qbs LOSE confidence.

I dont agree--to a point.

Theres usually some strong backbone with these talented athletes. Me, yes, my confidence gets flustered on the basketball court, but there is no comparison to me.
And I cant find one negative that puts Alex and Nate in the same conversation so I pretty much believe that Nate will handle his struggles in a different manner than Alex

[ Edited by SFL49ER on Aug 31, 2009 at 19:03:51 ]
I am all for seeing Davis start BUTTTTTTTTT, i think if Hill is benched we should definitely try smith one last time. This will be do or die for him, if he messes up his last oppurtunity, we cut him and smith wont be in the picture for next year, it will be Davis turn to take over, plus that fact that he will have one year of experience under his belt.

realistically, if hill is benched, that only means we are awful and have another losing record. I really cant see Davis or Smith coming in and saving the season. The smartest thing would be to give alex his last chance, and if he fails, we have no choice but to have davis compete for the starting qb position for next year, even if we do draft a quarterback in next years draft
I've changed my mind on the matter.

We should start Davis, since he is clearly the best preseason QB on our team.

But that is not going to be enough. We should bench Frank Gore for Glen Coffee. In fact, Sheets has also been better, so we should move Gore down to the third string. After Robinson's strong effort against the Raiders, maybe Gore should be fighting for a roster spot.

I've been very impressed with Marcus Hudson this preseason, and it is time we sit Nate Clements.

And, Jacob Bender was really outstanding at LT against the Cowboys, and Staley had some shaky moments. So, time to demote Staley for Bender.

And, that Miller kid. Who needs Norris? Time to dump him.

We need to make these changes, NOW.
Share 49ersWebzone