There are 368 users in the forums

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

• Apone
  • Veteran
I think we have yet to see SH's potential and his great arm.
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
Originally posted by WestCoast:
I'm officially done with Shaun Hill.

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

Ummmm, no. I used to cringe everytime Alex Smith threw any kind of pass. Hill's no Montana, but he's 3x the player that Smith is. The difference between Smith and Hill's performance tonight would have been the 2 INTs and 1 fumble Alex wouldve had against the Dallas starters.
  • Apone
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

Ummmm, no. I used to cringe everytime Alex Smith threw any kind of pass. Hill's no Montana, but he's 3x the player that Smith is. The difference between Smith and Hill's performance tonight would have been the 2 INTs and 1 fumble Alex wouldve had against the Dallas starters.

I agree on top of that Hill has the far better arm and athletic mobility.
Ok, don't get me wrong, Nate looks great and could possibly be our future QB, but three things bother me:

1. He's playing against 2nd-3rd stringers, so not the best comparisons.

2. He played for Ball State last season, so what NFL caliber talent has he played against?

3. Can he play under pressure? (League championship and bowl game come to mind)?

I know everyone wants Hill to be Steve and Joe, but he's not. He's had one real start and now since he's the official starter, he will have more time to work with his WRs until the regular season starts. I know he started bad, but the field goal drive he was looking very good connecting on a few good passes. Raye's play calling seemed to throw the team off this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we changed up back to run heavy with short route passes to gain yards and eat up clock for our defense.
Originally posted by Apone:

You just lost all credibility with that statement.

-9fA

Sorry but Alex's weakness is not his recklessness. It's probably the opposite -- he's just too conservative.

-9fA
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by Apone:

You just lost all credibility with that statement.

-9fA

really. his statment was probably after 15 beers
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame

Sorry but Alex's weakness is not his recklessness. It's probably the opposite -- he's just too conservative.

-9fA

Alex's weakness is his complete and utter lack of talent.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:

-9fA

Alex's weakness is his complete and utter lack of talent.

wow. where have you been hater? alex looked good with norv, then went 2-1, then got hurt. and then looked like s**t. did you not watch the beginning of the 06/07 season. but back to the point alex has three times the talent as hill. its his leadership and yes being to conservative due to nolan overcoaching him.
[ Edited by fan49 on Aug 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM ]
nate davis has a daughter

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Ok, don't get me wrong, Nate looks great and could possibly be our future QB, but three things bother me:

2. He played for Ball State last season, so what NFL caliber talent has he played against?

3. Can he play under pressure? (League championship and bowl game come to mind)?

I know everyone wants Hill to be Steve and Joe, but he's not. He's had one real start and now since he's the official starter, he will have more time to work with his WRs until the regular season starts. I know he started bad, but the field goal drive he was looking very good connecting on a few good passes. Raye's play calling seemed to throw the team off this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we changed up back to run heavy with short route passes to gain yards and eat up clock for our defense.

Not really the best argument here. Matt Leinart played against NFL talent and he's been a backup for going on 3 years now. I know Nate Davis is a project but I'd much rather have him than some big shot QB out of a big college program who had superstars all around him.

Give him time, Let him grow and we might have something.
By midseason, if/when we are out of the play-off hunt; we should bite the bullet and insert Davis. Let him take his lumps, and get a jump start on the following season. Neither Hill or Smith are the long term answer. Davis might not be either, but at least we can see what he's got before next year's draft.
Originally posted by TheChozen:
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:

Not really the best argument here. Matt Leinart played against NFL talent and he's been a backup for going on 3 years now. I know Nate Davis is a project but I'd much rather have him than some big shot QB out of a big college program who had superstars all around him.

Give him time, Let him grow and we might have something.

exactly, i actually like the little school guys because they dont have elite lines so the QB's get to work on their improvisation skills when plays break down. i think thats why davis makes decisions so quickly unlike the other two guys. he throws the perfect passes for the situations he's in. last night he lobbed passes, zipped em into tight spots, he has a really good touch and feel for the game. i think if it came down to it, he could start and be just as good if not better than Hill and Smith, but he looks like he can be developed into a decent QB.
Um...what happened last time we tried to fast-track a rookie QB??? Patience is a virtue!
there is nothing in shaun hill or alex smith that screams, they could ever, even given the best talent in nfl history, be a superbowl winning qb. on top of that, there is nothing that i have seen so far that would indicate either of those two with the talent they have now at their disposable mixed with one of the most conservative nfl oc coordinators in nfl history that would indicate success...alex smith is bust, shaun hill is a carreer gritty #2...

to a 100% point, shaun hill and/or alex smith is not the answer...even if there was a .000001 % chance that nate had it within him to be better i would take it...as it stands, whats the alternative to laughing off a nate davis challenge to the qb starting spot, a 6-7 win season, max?

its not like the question at hand is should we replace tom brady with nate davis....i know what i got with hill and smith, another season of heartache...and after watching arron rodgers tear it up vs the cardinals and seeing them rebuild yet again for a third time since last time we were ever good, i am ready to fire blanks into the sky and see if something hits...

worst development of the week was hill recovering enuf to play 1st team offense...had he not been able to make it, we could have had a more realistic look at nate
Share 49ersWebzone