There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

1 Point Victories

Mike Nolan: "A one point difference wins the game."
  • diehard68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by HessianDud:
anyone else find it extremely strange that we've won two games by 1 point each, and in each of those games the other team missed a 2 pt conversion in the 4th quarter?

Basically we've tied two games.

Yeah, its preseason and so who cares, and no, I'm not hitting the panic button. I just think its strange. Any thoughts on that?

I think tying two preseason games is the least of our worries. Both the teams were weak and not that much of a test. Our starters still can't mount a sustained drive on offense, QB's are still having to scramble way too much. Smith or Hill, it doesn't matter who's in there, each is struggling to move the ball consistently. Seems that the most success we have is from Coffee or quick read, quick looks to Davis up the middle. But any straight drop backs usually see the QB's scrambling to avoid a rush.

D is not looking too bad, however. They gave up almost noithing on the ground! One mistake lead to the Raider's first TD, but I like they way they're reading & moving and plugging holes.
Originally posted by diehard68:
anyone else find it extremely strange that we've won two games by 1 point each, and in each of those games the other team missed a 2 pt conversion in the 4th quarter?

Yeah, its preseason and so who cares, and no, I'm not hitting the panic button. I just think its strange. Any thoughts on that?

I think tying two preseason games is the least of our worries. Both the teams were weak and not that much of a test. Our starters still can't mount a sustained drive on offense, QB's are still having to scramble way too much. Smith or Hill, it doesn't matter who's in there, each is struggling to move the ball consistently. Seems that the most success we have is from Coffee or quick read, quick looks to Davis up the middle. But any straight drop backs usually see the QB's scrambling to avoid a rush.

D is not looking too bad, however. They gave up almost noithing on the ground! One mistake lead to the Raider's first TD, but I like they way they're reading & moving and plugging holes.

certainly the passing game has left a lot to be desired, but the oline is playing very well and we have legit RB depth.

The defense still has its weaknesses, but it is a good sign than in two very close games we have had big plays from a variety of players, from a number of places on the depth chart, to help preserve the game.

I think one lesson from the narrow wins is that we are mentally tough in the 4th quarter. Hopefully that's a trend that will continue in the regular season.
Isn't preseason the time to intergrate new players into the system,? A time to evaluate incoming players? Preseason games are for taking advantage of situations to see how players react. Wins/losses don't matter, making the team better does. Coaches don't want to show the rest of the league their playbook in preseason. Just enough to make them think. One point loss or one point win...meaningless
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I have one:

When you score more points that your opponent, you win 99.9% of the time.

That is all.

if you score more than your opponent then wouldn't you win 100% of the time?
  • diehard68
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by diehard68:

certainly the passing game has left a lot to be desired, but the oline is playing very well and we have legit RB depth.

The defense still has its weaknesses, but it is a good sign than in two very close games we have had big plays from a variety of players, from a number of places on the depth chart, to help preserve the game.

I think one lesson from the narrow wins is that we are mentally tough in the 4th quarter. Hopefully that's a trend that will continue in the regular season.

Yeah, the mental toughness speaks to the discipline Singletary has instilled. But I'm anxious to see how this defense stands up to a true high-powered offense.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I'm thinking we win 24-23 next week

Its preseason..nobody cares.
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

I have one:

When you score more points that your opponent, you win 99.9% of the time.

That is all.

if you score more than your opponent then wouldn't you win 100% of the time?

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time."

Originally posted by King49er:
Originally posted by King49er:
I'm not saying "Oh we suck! boo hoo hoo!"

I'm saying its weird to win back to back games by a single point each. No one else finds that strange?

not really....I find it more strange that you think it's strange that we're 2-0 in this years pre season just because they were one point games....

okay. i've been watching football for a long time and i've never really see back to back games end in such similar situations, preseason or not.

if it was regular season though both games probably would have went to OT

i know.

And they don't want OT, Injury's.
It's preseason. Wins and Losses = Nothing. Just ask the Lions. They were 4-0 in preseason last year. LOL. It's all about player evaluation.

That doesn't make sense. lol
Anyone else find it strange that Hill and Smith are rotating between the 1st and 2nd quarters, than the 3rd and even 4th stringers come in during the second half.
Originally posted by NFLakaNinersForLife:

That doesn't make sense. lol

Preseason scores are meaningless. I would feel just as confident if we were 0-2 rather than 2-0

yeah we suck , what do you expect with a team with no starting qb until now , or should say , no qb stood out to be named a starter that means we have two back up qb !